HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 9:35 AM
video et taceo

I've heard Gaudet as "goodie" in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 3:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Who knew?

Video Link

There is also a word which rhymes with Tucker.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 7:13 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Who knew?

Video Link

There is also a word which rhymes with Tucker.
This is how Americans say Ottawa (at 1:17).

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 12:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The way that reporter says it is very close to being correct to my ears.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The way that reporter says it is very close to being correct to my ears.
I thought the initial "O" was shifted slightly toward an "a" sound, but yes, very similar.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:24 PM

I listened to the Saskatchewan Premier speak today over the pipeline issue in a CBC interview - are Saskatchewan accents typically that strong? because that was about as stereotypical as you're going to get. Although the rural towns and rust belt cities in Ontario have a very strong Canadian Accent I think those in Saskatchewan may actually have us beat here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are a handful of Acadian Tiktokkers who are relatively famous on the app.

The language is insane. It’s the worst of English and North American-style French (that extra nasally thing). They use NL-specific tags so they show up for us too.

Video Link

It’s so weird, like the huge trend of Nova Scotian youth on Tiktok doing screech ins or singing Heave Away. I don’t understand lol

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I listened to the Saskatchewan Premier speak today over the pipeline issue in a CBC interview - are Saskatchewan accents typically that strong? because that was about as stereotypical as you're going to get. Although the rural towns and rust belt cities in Ontario have a very strong Canadian Accent I think those in Saskatchewan may actually have us beat here.
His accent is unmistakably Canadian, but I hear stronger ones on TV or youtube from more blue collar or rural people, particularly out west of course. To hear that from a premier though is not something I'm accustomed to hearing.

If you're from the GTA, the Canadian accent will sound a little funny and unsophisticated. And vice versa. Although I've never asked someone from elsewhere what they think of the GTA accent, I'm sure a lot would say it sounds funny and unsophisticated. Though I don't think you're likely to hear many higher status people using it just like I don't think higher status people out west are going to sound like Scott Moe.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:09 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

The language is insane. It’s the worst of English and North American-style French (that extra nasally thing).
Quick delete this before all the Acadiens here read this.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
The language is insane. It’s the worst of English and North American-style French (that extra nasally thing). They use NL-specific tags so they show up for us too.
You'd love Northern Ontario French (and English too, if we're being honest)

Last edited by wave46; Jan 26, 2021 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:

Video Link

It’s so weird, like the huge trend of Nova Scotian youth on Tiktok doing screech ins or singing Heave Away. I don’t understand lol
I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, but whether it's Quebec/Acadian French or English with their accent, it is quite annoying. For Francos that speak with that raised inflection at the end of every sentence, it really annoys me yet I have no problem with the Irish raising that inflection. I actually love the couple of Irish accents I know of.

However, there are Quebecois I hear speak that don't raise at the end of every sentence and the way they speak doesn't bother me. There is a Montreal colleague of mine that is actually nice to listen to. He's in his 50s and white collar. Pretty educated and successful, if that has anything to do with it.

And like I said above, I bet there are people from QC/NB/Acadia/N. Ont. that would find people where I'm from annoying when they speak. It could be the GTA accent, which is very much a real thing, but not the majority, or various accents from different ethnicities when speaking English.

I will give examples below in another post.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
However, there are Quebecois I hear speak that don't raise at the end of every sentence and the way they speak doesn't bother me. There is a Montreal colleague of mine that is actually nice to listen to. He's in his 50s and white collar. Pretty educated and successful, if that has anything to do with it.
That's it, IMO. For both languages.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:10 AM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
For Francos that speak with that raised inflection at the end of every sentence, it really annoys me yet I have no problem with the Irish raising that inflection
The raised inflection is something that is done in the eastern half of Quebec, starting in Quebec City. You don’t really hear that in Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:19 AM

There's the GTA accent then there's the Toronto Mans accent and lingo. The lingo is getting to the point of being unintelligible like cockney. And I'm pretty sure it's super annoying to most people over the age of 30 from outside of here.

Toronto Mans are overwhelmingly "ethnic" but you do get some white yutes that are semi-fluent in the language.

All these guys speak normally IRL but would have grown up dropping bare lingo when catchin' a flex and ballin' up with their crodies and some shordies on the reg at their bredren's dukes' yawd in Scarbs or Bram or DT or whereveraz.

I can see a time coming soon when young people from outside this area will recognize what a Toronto Mans is and be able to identify Toronto slang like people can recognize cockney. Okay, not that popular, but you know what I mean.

I had a young coworker from Kingston who spent first half of his life in Ottawa. Half Italian background from his dad, but he's from The Soo aka Sault Ste. Marie where they of course have a big Italian population. Mom from Ottawa. He went to UWO and befriended lots of GTA guys. He did not develop the accent or anything like that, but he started using some lingo in normal conversation like saying "Man, I was so cheesed..." as in pissed off. And I was like, "yo fam, you movin' like a Toronto Mans now, eh".

I don't know how many recognizable accents/slang/speech patterns there are in this country, but GTA and its Toronto Mans sub category is one of them. Hoser/Canadian, Native, Inuit, Franco, Franco equivalent of Hoser, Acadian, East Coast and Newf are the obvious ones I suppose.

Some various sub categories as well, of course. Like that one SHH posted a while back about some lady that is the chancellor MUN or something where it sounded like a Brooklyn accent. Newfoundland as an island is already isolated enough as it is, but then there's pockets all over the rock that were or pretty much still are isolated. Like the US Mid-Atlantic islands in the Outer Banks off of NC for example that have a mix of Southern and British but actually sound more British. Hell, doesn't even have to be an island. Boston, NY, Philly and Baltimore all have their own accents.

Toronto Mans:
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by megadude; Jan 26, 2021 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:29 AM

I find it fascinating how Toronto slang has evolved parallel to modern London slang and ended up remarkably similar phonologically and structurally. The cause most likely being very similar ethnic makeup of immigrant groups in either city.

https://magazine.utoronto.ca/researc...toronto-slang/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Video Link

The weird thing is that I understand everything she's saying. I don't think your average Québécois with no Maritime Acadian roots could, though.

Almost sure she's from SE NB. Moncton-Shediac-Cap-Pelé area. No one in Quebec sounds like that. The south Gaspé coast has some Acadian inflections but it's quite different.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:34 AM
ハルウララ

We can refer to it as Toronto Mans or we can refer to it as, *checks the link again*, Multicultural Toronto English.

I never picked up on the Somali in it but it's very easy to hear the Jamaican and Arabic. Depends on who you're talking to, really. I've always seen it as more of a Brampton thing with the GTA accent dominating the rest.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
His accent is unmistakably Canadian, but I hear stronger ones on TV or youtube from more blue collar or rural people, particularly out west of course. To hear that from a premier though is not something I'm accustomed to hearing.

If you're from the GTA, the Canadian accent will sound a little funny and unsophisticated. And vice versa. Although I've never asked someone from elsewhere what they think of the GTA accent, I'm sure a lot would say it sounds funny and unsophisticated. Though I don't think you're likely to hear many higher status people using it just like I don't think higher status people out west are going to sound like Scott Moe.
Top guy at TSN Bob Mckenzie was born in Toronto and has a strong Ontario accent. Not sure what his hood was but its pretty strong with the "oot n aboot" or "don't drive your crr to the brr".

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:12 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Almost sure she's from SE NB. Moncton-Shediac-Cap-Pelé area. No one in Quebec sounds like that. The south Gaspé coast has some Acadian inflections but it's quite different.
Yeah, northern NB accents are closer to the Québec/Gaspé ones. Even the NS ones sound different. I do know some people who talk like this, but they are from the areas you’ve described. Seems a bit exaggerated for comedic effect too.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Jan 26, 2021 at 3:20 AM. Reason: Deleted redundant word.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:15 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Yeah, northern NB accents are closer to the Québec/Gaspé ones. Even the NS ones are sound different. I do know some people who talk like this, but they are from the areas you’ve described. Seems a bit exaggerated for comedic effect too.
It's a tiktok so...yes it's exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Top guy at TSN Bob Mckenzie was born in Toronto and has a strong Ontario accent. Not sure what his hood was but its pretty strong with the "oot n aboot" or "don't drive your crr to the brr".
Bob is also a boomer and Toronto really didn't have Toronto Mans at that time. He spent a few years in the Sault so maybe it got to him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada