HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:25 PM
ARTchitecture

The Great Canadian Convention Centre Thread!

Since so many convention centres across the country have recently undergone, are undergoing, or will undergo expansions, I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.

Here is the current progress of the Winnipeg Convention Centre courtesy of Cyro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Photo Dated March.26th Construction Cam Image

Source

Also, the Nova Centre in Halifax will include a major convention space for Atlantic Canada...

Ziobrop - http://fillingtheholehfx.tumblr.com/

And of course, the St. John's Convention Centre expansion!

http://www.sjcc.ca

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:32 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton Expo Centre at Northlands, the massive expansion was completed in 2009

Very nice facility for tradeshows and conventions and such. I coordinated a whole bunch of mechanical sub-trade work on this project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:33 PM

Winnipeg and Halifax's look really good, even St. John's one looks ok.
I love Ottawa's new one (completed in 2011)! Such nice modern architecture and creates such contrast with the Parliament, Canal and Chateau Laurier styles.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, Ottawa's and Vancouver's are my two favorites in the country. Though, Winnipeg might join them!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:13 PM

Meanwhile torontos convention centre is a piece of crap from the 1970's.. Oxford wants to change that, but it still seems rather far off.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
The Palais des congrès de Montréal, the city’s leading convention centre, welcomes thousands of convention-goers each year, generating significant opportunities for Montreal and Quebec. It has been shortlisted twice (2010 and 2012) for the APEX award for world’s best convention centre.
''Montreal finished ahead of several major cities, including Washington, New York, Boston, San Diego, Rio de Janeiro, and Buenos Aires, as well as Toronto and Vancouver. ''
http://theplanner.ca/2013/08/28/mont...-for-2nd-year/

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/aff...gressistes.php

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:30 PM

I love the Ottawa centre.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:30 PM

Windsor basically gave it's old convention centre to St. Claire College for its downtown campus, when Caesars built it's new hotel tower and 100,000 sf state of the art convention centre. It has worked out well for everyone!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:04 AM

Here's a web page showing 19 of the main Canadian Convention Centres. Gives you a picture, general description, square footage, adjacent hotel rooms, theatre space, travel time to airport and parking spots...

Definitely worth a look!

http://www.conventioncentrescanada.c...es/ottawa.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:37 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ottawa's is beautiful. That render of Halifax's looks nice as well.

I'm not a fan of our expansion. It's more than just the personal disappointment that, yet again, we are underestimating ourselves and building something that is too small for our existing needs, let alone our growing needs (something of a habit we have; the airport, just recently upgraded, is being significantly expanded now as well). This should have been a much larger expansion with a hotel tower on top.

But my real concern is the design. To me, the design isn't great. It looks like an outlet mall. Can't you just see DANIER LEATHER and STAPLES on those orange and blue entrance features?

Hopefully the cladding is something interesting... but I think this is just going to be another average building in the Downtown West End.

It's still a step up from what was there before, though... a handful of dilapidated rowhouses, a couple of nice businesses, and a gravel surface parking lot.

Same view as the above render:

Backside view (which will now be completely filled in by the expansion):

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Ottawa's is beautiful. That render of Halifax's looks nice as well.

I'm not a fan of our expansion. It's more than just the personal disappointment that, yet again, we are underestimating ourselves and building something that is too small for our existing needs, let alone our growing needs (something of a habit we have; the airport, just recently upgraded, is being significantly expanded now as well). This should have been a much larger expansion with a hotel tower on top.

But my real concern is the design. To me, the design isn't great. It looks like an outlet mall. Can't you just see DANIER LEATHER and STAPLES on those orange and blue entrance features?

Hopefully the cladding is something interesting... but I think this is just going to be another average building in the Downtown West End.

It's still a step up from what was there before, though... a handful of dilapidated rowhouses, a couple of nice businesses, and a gravel surface parking lot.
Ya, it kind of looks by a mall, but at least it's a very good looking mall.

I understand you're frustration with building smaller than your needs. Ottawa has a rich history of doing the same. The Convention Centre is one of those examples at 192,000 square feet, smaller than Québec City's (232,000) and Winnipeg's (264,000) post expansion size.

Another example is the Confederation Line; to save on construction costs, the subway platforms were shortened twice from 180 meters to 150 meters and finally to 120 meters.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's a web page showing 19 of the main Canadian Convention Centres. Gives you a picture, general description, square footage, adjacent hotel rooms, theatre space, travel time to airport and parking spots...

Definitely worth a look!

http://www.conventioncentrescanada.c...es/ottawa.html
I checked it and apparently according to the the website Regina has the 3rd biggest convention centre in canada (489k) i'm sorry to say this but can someone show me the actual number because I don't think Regina could sustain such a big convention centre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:35 AM

120 meters is still quite long for a platform, using 90 second frequencies (given that it is grade seperated this is possible) you are looking at a similar capacity to Toronto's subway today. Just be happy ottawa didn't go the way of the Canada line and build 40 meter platforms.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:25 AM

Some newer renderings of Halifax's:

Source

Source

It's only about 120,000 square feet, so if Regina's is pushing 500,000.. that seems kind of excessive.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
''Montreal finished ahead of several major cities, including Washington, New York, Boston, San Diego, Rio de Janeiro, and Buenos Aires, as well as Toronto and Vancouver. ''
http://theplanner.ca/2013/08/28/mont...-for-2nd-year/

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/aff...gressistes.php
Palais des Congres is gorgeous. The colour adds quite a bit of flair to that area; it's definitely quite Montreal-esque.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:53 AM

The current World Trade and Convention Centre in all its 1980s glory:

Source

The Cunard Centre functions as a secondary convention centre, in a converted warehouse next to Pier 21. The building itself is nothing fancy but it offers interesting views of the industrial waterfront:

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 5:02 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Meanwhile torontos convention centre is a piece of crap from the 1970's.. Oxford wants to change that, but it still seems rather far off.
The north building was likely sold to Oxford because of the Allstream Centre addition to the Direct Energy Centre. South building is original. Where else will you find a subterranean convention centre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:40 AM

Calgary needs to double/triple the size of it's convention facilities!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Calgary needs to double/triple the size of it's convention facilities!
waste of money to enlarge the center if there aren't many conventions bookings that need the size. Large convention centres have been found to be a big waste of space and money for most cities, particularly in the states.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:38 AM
Closed account

I quite like the MTCC's south building as well. Just bury the damn thing and you have benefit of it without it occupying an enormous amount of space. It is also very convenient to reach.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada