HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Dubai Pearl in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 9:54 PM

The Churchill Residency is awful, but I thought that the twin copy was pretty good. Is there anyone in the UAE with update picture?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:44 AM

The girth of this structure is amazing.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 3:47 AM

This beauty needs an update! Its been 9 months since some photos!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 4:08 AM

In a commercial real estate market that has between 40-50% vacancy rates, and brags that their vacancy rates in their business districts is "only" about 27%, the last thing that's needed is a single building with 6 million square feet of office space.

Even pre 2008 this was an ambitious project. I have a hard time believing this ever gets done in its current state.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBTowers View Post
This beauty needs an update! Its been 9 months since some photos!
Believe it or not, the progress is noticeable since the last update.

Dec, 15

Nov 30 :

Credit : http://www.dubaipearl.com/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:34 PM

Any updates on this?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:49 PM
JayCortese

Last edited by JayCortese; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 AM

Yes, it's slow... extremely slow.
According to the official site, L7, L8 and L6 are currently being built in tower 2, 3 & 4.

Why is it so slow ?
Probably because the demand is low...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 1:18 AM

Can someone tell me exactly why Dubai makes so many skyscrapers. Their population is just over 2 million so I don't understand how the construction is sustainable? Are they expecting the growth rate to stay steady or increase and the newer people to fill the buildings?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Yes, it's slow... extremely slow.
According to the official site, L7, L8 and L6 are currently being built in tower 2, 3 & 4.

Why is it so slow ?
Probably because the demand is low...
They have beef up!! They have to start construction immediately. They can't be lazy on the job and step on it!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatality View Post
Can someone tell me exactly why Dubai makes so many skyscrapers. Their population is just over 2 million so I don't understand how the construction is sustainable? Are they expecting the growth rate to stay steady or increase and the newer people to fill the buildings?
Dubai is an alpha+ world city. It's the New York City of the Middle East. That's like saying "why build so many skyscrapers in manhattan if only 1.5 million people live there? Dubai is not just a residential area. It's a business, cultural and tourist center as well. Dubai is an icon to over a billion Muslims, and to many more businessmen who seek a pathway to the middle east. Dubai is also the ideal, but quite expensive, tourist destination for many Westerners. There are so many reasons to expand Dubai to what it is now, just as manhattan has done. These skyscrapers are mostly going to be filled up to make use for offices, hotel rooms, places of worship, schools, etc. A city is not just a bunchs of houses ya know. And the statistics show 2 million, but many of the workers are merely on visas or reside in neighboring Sharjah.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 5:03 PM
Come As You Are

Yeah, if I would visit anywhere in the middle east, it would be Dubai.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salakast View Post
Dubai is an alpha+ world city. It's the New York City of the Middle East. That's like saying "why build so many skyscrapers in manhattan if only 1.5 million people live there? Dubai is not just a residential area. It's a business, cultural and tourist center as well. Dubai is an icon to over a billion Muslims, and to many more businessmen who seek a pathway to the middle east. Dubai is also the ideal, but quite expensive, tourist destination for many Westerners. There are so many reasons to expand Dubai to what it is now, just as manhattan has done. These skyscrapers are mostly going to be filled up to make use for offices, hotel rooms, places of worship, schools, etc. A city is not just a bunchs of houses ya know. And the statistics show 2 million, but many of the workers are merely on visas or reside in neighboring Sharjah.
Thanks. Did not think of it quite that way.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salakast View Post
I'm sorry, but Dubai has clearly gone way too far in constructing so many skyscrapers in such a short time. I don't see how the over-flooded market will ever recede to a healthy point.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
well, no. Most of Manhattan's skycrapers are office towers, namely the iconic ones. Being the capital of the business world doesn't hurt the skyline.
And the office towers exist because of the 20+ million people who live/ work in the NYC metro area. Salakast's comment is absurd.

I love the mass of this building! The location couldn't possibly be worse though. Who wants to live/work on an island surrounded by massive highways.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:29 AM
Meh

Ok, enough with the off topic chit chat. And the reason Dubai has so many skyscrapers going up, mostly residential and hotel ones, is it's a resort city. Most of those towers are vacation homes/resorts for the wealthy in the Middle East. It's similar to Las Vegas. It has a relatively small population with a big skyline and huge buildings.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ok, enough with the off topic chit chat. And the reason Dubai has so many skyscrapers going up, mostly residential and hotel ones, is it's a resort city. Most of those towers are vacation homes/resorts for the wealthy in the Middle East. It's similar to Las Vegas. It has a relatively small population with a big skyline and huge buildings.
Dubai's metro is similar in size to that of Las Vegas. 2+ million. The skyline is ridiculously huge. I personally love the skyline as a whole, but economically it just doesn't make sense. The vacancy rate is amazingly high, and there have been issues with the fire-proofing in half the buildings. Because of this, the owners can't turn a profit. This is a legitimate conversation to have, even when talking about specific buildings, as it effects each and every project there. Sure, it's partially a resort, but they intended on being the most visited city in the world, having the HQ of media, technology, and financial companies located there.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 12:41 PM

this building its way to big for my likes sorry but i think its just a waste of space when they can build more than only one whole structure it would had been better a complex of buildings like lower manhattan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:36 PM

^^^ I agree an albatross. It would have been nicer as a series of towers, with a common pedestal and gardens.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 6:29 PM
Come As You Are

Doesn't this one occupy one large site with a roundabout encirlicng it?
If so, they need to have as large a building as possible to use up the space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive