HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 1:56 AM
The City

^ I can’t find anything.

This looks like a job for our permit sleuthers. Marothisu?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 4:24 AM
TL;DR

This is the proposal for that lot:
https://www.l3capital.com/portfolio/1100_w_randolph/

A three story building replacing a 2 story building.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 2:29 PM
The City

Geoffrey Baer will have a new program showing Chicago by air very soon on WTTW. Did anybody else see the commercial for that? Can’t wait for that to come out

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 3:51 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Funny, I'm putting a 12 unit under contract a few blocks from there. That area is popping off, they are about to start the renovation of a big flatiron right there too. Also one of the CMD buildings is in the middle of a huge gut rehab.
I remember when that flatiron was up for sale. I considered checking it out.

But, you know, it’s not easy being a real estate developer as a side gig. Really sucks the time away from family!

If this area is beginning to pop, I will be taking a closer look. Biggest problem is that there is just so much suburban crap around there. Doesn’t have that hip, walkable vibe that other up and coming areas (Pilsen, Avondale, etc) have

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 10:50 PM

Peoria Green

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

But, you know, it’s not easy being a real estate developer as a side gig. Really sucks the time away from family!

If this area is beginning to pop, I will be taking a closer look. Biggest problem is that there is just so much suburban crap around there. Doesn’t have that hip, walkable vibe that other up and coming areas (Pilsen, Avondale, etc) have
It's not that bad. Archer is a lost cause until they tame the traffic sewer, but 35th has a ton of potential to grow hip businesses and could be very walkable. The problem is zoning, the properties along 35th are zoned RS-3 so almost every storefront there is nonconforming.

And they need to do something about the asphalt plant before that area can really take off...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Archer is not worse than Milwaukee Ave between Wabansia and California was before the TOD boom. That area was a brownfield shithole just ten years ago. McKinnley has a gigantic park and largest warehouse stock in the city. The appealing thing to me is the CMD, if that is redeveloped then the whole area becomes wild. Also the Chinese are slapping up new developments everywhere.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Archer is not worse than Milwaukee Ave between Wabansia and California was before the TOD boom. That area was a brownfield shithole just ten years ago. McKinnley has a gigantic park and largest warehouse stock in the city. The appealing thing to me is the CMD, if that is redeveloped then the whole area becomes wild. Also the Chinese are slapping up new developments everywhere.
Development along that stretch had decades of momentum behind it coming at it from both sides. I don't see Archer as totally analogous.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:53 PM

Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html

JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html

JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic

I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:53 PM

November 12th, 6 p.m

Mark your calendars

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).
Well, I'd recommend not assuming it will be the same, considering that it's not just a different company/developer, but also the fact that this is a PD and not individual buildings done piecemeal by separate developers. The need to comment or make judgement on something without having seen it first is a bit baffling to me. To each their own, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:56 PM

It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.
If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a Treasure Island prior to the company going bankrupt.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:24 AM

Moody's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...=hero-readmore

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:48 AM
TL;DR

Well they have plenty of land. Ideally they would masterplan a "focal point" in the development where they could build a few restaurant sites. If they're willing to get creative with the streets, maybe they could do a little pocket park/plaza or boulevard.

I think the only "larger" development to go through the new DPD process (under Commissioner Cox instead of Reifman) is LG's project at 1143 W Lake, but the planning documents for that are pretty encouraging. Lots of attention paid to pedestrian connections, small and large scale public space, activation, etc. Cox himself weighed in on one of my projects, a small restaurant buildout, so he's got his fingers in everything - I think he's trying to shape things for the better.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:10 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:34 AM

It's JDL so that might actually be what we end up getting. They haven't swayed too much from original renderings in their past projects. That being said this is also way bigger than anything they've ever done before.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:37 AM

Well that looks nice.

Still a lot of parking lots and open space near Cabrini Green to turn this area in a more dense, integrated neighborhood.

Build another L stop at Division.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development