HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:09 PM

I've always found that prewar building are much better at proportioning bedrooms versus living space than a lot of current residential buildings. Part of this is being driven by the increased depth of many of the buildings that are being built: longer, narrower units are causing more space to be wasted on corridor space. Part of this seems to be a trend, that in luxury developments is favoring very large bedrooms and bathrooms at the expense of living space. I've seen so many unit plans where you could almost ballroom dance in the bathroom, but you are lucky if you can fit a sofa, coffee table, and TV console in the living space...and forget about having a dining table.

That said, with the two units pianowizard posted, I think they are being a bit disingenuous showing queen beds in some of those bedrooms. In the bedroom with the massive column in the 2 bed unit 11, someone would have to basically climb over the bed to get to the nightstand or the closet. I am all for thoughtful efficient living, but here are several places in the plans where an additional 6" or so here and there would make the units significantly more usable.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:02 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I've always found that prewar building are much better at proportioning bedrooms versus living space than a lot of current residential buildings. Part of this is being driven by the increased depth of many of the buildings that are being built: longer, narrower units are causing more space to be wasted on corridor space. Part of this seems to be a trend, that in luxury developments is favoring very large bedrooms and bathrooms at the expense of living space. I've seen so many unit plans where you could almost ballroom dance in the bathroom, but you are lucky if you can fit a sofa, coffee table, and TV console in the living space...and forget about having a dining table.

That said, with the two units pianowizard posted, I think they are being a bit disingenuous showing queen beds in some of those bedrooms. In the bedroom with the massive column in the 2 bed unit 11, someone would have to basically climb over the bed to get to the nightstand or the closet. I am all for thoughtful efficient living, but here are several places in the plans where an additional 6" or so here and there would make the units significantly more usable.
Which post-war? Post-WWI units tend to have shoeboxes for bedrooms, barely holding a full bed and perhaps a nightstand (forget about larger beds and the possibility of a dresser!), while units built a bit before to a little after WWII tend to have fairly reasonably-sized bedrooms. I will agree that nowadays the trend is towards big bedrooms and tiny living rooms, which IMO is absurd.

Of course a lot of the differences I've seen in Chicago might be tenement vs. non-tenement buildings in terms of their original purpose.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Could not possibly agree more with this post. Do buyers today really value a spacious bathroom and kitchen over having room for a dining table? To me it's insane. I tend to look at Kitchens and Baths as utilitarian rooms built to accomplish a task. Living rooms and Dining Rooms are for spending time in and should be gracefully proportioned. I really think this was best accomplished in the 1920's.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:38 PM

^Definitely disagree with you there. As a former cook, I would rather have a spacious and functional kitchen and smaller living/dining room. I rarely have more than one person over at a time. If I do, I have common areas in my building to entertain if need be. My current kitchen is dreadfully small and is creatively stifling when it comes to deciding what to cook.

I recently upgraded from a queen to a king-sized mattress and I appreciate the extra space needed for that in addition to an end table and a dresser.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:54 PM

^ I personally love dining rooms, but if my choice were to have a bigger kitchen and no dining room, I would opt to have no dining room. We luckily found and bought a 100+ year old home with a large kitchen (combined old kitchen with a bedroom) and a large dining room. I also agree with the poster that said modern bedrooms are needlessly large. I use my bedroom to sleep and maybe read in bed. That's about it. Just a waste of space as long as my bed and our dressers fit, no need for anything bigger.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:09 PM

The issue is that a lot of "open concept" floor plans drop a full kitchen into the living room without making the room larger to accommodate that.

Prewar buildings from the interwar period, particularly the lat 1920s "roaring twenties" era have some of the best floor plans around. That said, there are modern layouts that blow the old ones out of the water, but you aren't going to find them everywhere because spending money on design is developers taboo...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

My building was built in 1916, we have two bedrooms able to fit a queen bed and a nightstand, plus a pretty tight kitchen/living combo. Weirdly large bathroom though, considering the sizes of the rest of the rooms.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Of course a lot of the differences I've seen in Chicago might be tenement vs. non-tenement buildings in terms of their original purpose.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yep... despite the nostalgia that some preservationists like to spout, most working class people in pre-war Chicago did not live in large, gracious apartments. If you were middle class and had a decent income (i.e. not a factory job) perhaps you could afford a nicer, more spacious apartment in a courtyard building. The very wealthiest could afford units in Gold Coast highrises or other lakefront neighborhoods like South Shore or Lakeview.

Ergo, "prewar" apartments are not automatically superior to postwar apartments in Chicago... I personally liked living in my greystone walkup tenement with tiny bedrooms, but I could absolutely see many people preferring a 2BR in a 4+1 from the 60s, for example.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:59 PM

Bids are due for subs on this one next week. Bid Docs seam to be about ~75% so still in budgeting phase... but there is definitely movement.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:06 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That's nice to hear. I've been thinking that some folks here had seemingly given up on this one, and I found it curious. Perhaps many have just forgotten how long it can take large condo towers that go through traditional construction financing arrangements to finalize them (post go-go early-mid 2000s).

NOT saying I believe they will definitely pull this off. However, I've far from written it off.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:52 PM
DENNAB

I mean, I'd live on one of the upper floors overlooking the park, just sayin'

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
Bids are due for subs on this one next week. Bid Docs seam to be about ~75% so still in budgeting phase... but there is definitely movement.
that's very interesting to hear.

i hadn't been holding out much hope for this one.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:58 PM

October Ground Breaking?

Not sure if it means anything but when asking on their FB page when ground breaking would occur I got this response.

"We are breaking ground this October!"

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:05 PM
DENNAB

Next month? That doesn't seem right. Is this even approved/financed yet?

I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:20 PM
The City

^ Come October:

"We are breaking ground this November!"

Come November:

"We are breaking ground this December!"

Come December:

"We are breaking ground like NEVER!"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:23 PM

It's been approved for a couple of years now. There were a soil testing rig spotted on site earlier this summer, i can imagine prep work starting soon.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:37 PM

Hell yes! While not my favorite proposed skyscraper, I won't say "no" to another 800 footer ESPECIALLY in this area of town.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbussey View Post
Not sure if it means anything but when asking on their FB page when ground breaking would occur I got this response.

"We are breaking ground this October!"

Good reporting my dude, I ask them on their Instagram page in July also they told me later this year. I can believe this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:33 PM

I'm still disappointed they won't build the original design, and I'm constantly reminded by the thumbnail image above.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:41 PM

Is a GC officially selected for this? Are drawings out to subs, etc.?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction