HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 8:51 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
That's kind of why my Shanghai Tower is my favorite. It's not trying to win any hearts of technicality. That plus its blanket-like, twisting, exoskeleton facade is to die for
I agree, although I'm in love with both of them, BK is a pretty badass WTB.

Petronas were probably the lamest of "tallest" buildings. Fake taller than the Sears Tower as they were.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Petronas were probably the lamest of "tallest" buildings. Fake taller than the Sears Tower as they were.
OMG, the real roof of the Petronas (1242 ft) is actually slightly lower than the Empire State Building's roof (1250 ft)! Pathetic!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:56 PM

Edit: resolved

Last edited by Skyfan28; Mar 22, 2019 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Certainly not the first or last one to do this.

https://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/05/sp...pers-revealed/

Good information! Good post. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
The Home Insurance Building was not a trophy building built specifically for the purpose of being the worlds tallest building. . . bad example. . .

. . .
thats not what i meant. i meant that the hib in chicago was build because there was demand for it after the city's dtw burned down.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRiser View Post
Good information! Good post. Thanks.
The information presented by words might be accurate but the graphic is complete garbage and shows no useful information as provided. Nothing is correct in the graphic.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 1:40 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

I’ve seen Jeddah Tower making a little progress so far, so it’s not 100% on-hold really. I’ve seen this on the video on skyscrapercity.com about Jeddah Tower.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 4:31 PM
Community Guy

Any updates or changes?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 8:46 PM

^ This page has the latest info that I could find: https://constructionreviewonline.com...-need-to-know/ . It says:

"2018
Kingdom Holding Company signed a deal with Orange Business Services to provide information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure to Jeddah Tower. Construction of the tower moved forward after a short delay.

There was steady progress but building owner JEC halted structural concrete work with the tower about one-third completed due to labor issues with a contractor following the 2017–19 Saudi Arabian purge. JEC said they plan to restart construction in 2020.

Resumption of construction works was made impossible by the Covid-19 pandemic."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 9:09 PM
Community Guy

Anything new for 2022?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Anything new for 2022?
A quick google search isn't pulling anything up for me. Maybe someone else will have some more luck but as of now nothing has changed since it was put on indefinite hold.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 11:24 PM

they've apparently been making progress on utilities in the general vicinity including paving roads but no sign of work restarting on the tower itself anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:34 AM

They should just do the Chinese thing and cut the tower off at 400m

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:42 PM
Community Guy

Anything on this guy?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:11 PM
New Yorker for life

https://science.howstuffworks.com/en...ddah-tower.htm

Will the Jeddah Tower, World's Tallest Building, Ever Be Finished?

Dave Roos
Jun 14, 2022

Quote:
….. Wood toured the Jeddah Tower construction site in early 2018 and called the scale and ambition of the Jeddah Economic City project "absolutely massive." The unfinished base of the Jeddah Tower already qualifies as a "supertall" structure, and the view from the top was awe-inspiring, he says.

"You're 300 meters in the air looking down at a city that's not yet built around you," says Wood. "It's almost like archeological ruins around you, but it's the opposite of that — it's brand-new infrastructure being put in against this desert backdrop."

Wood also dismisses the idea that the unfinished base of the tower amounted to "a little stump in the ground."

"It's already a third of its height," says Wood. "And I genuinely do believe that at some point the project will be finished, because it's an embarrassment not to finish it. What I don't know is if it will adhere to its original design or if it will ultimately be the tallest building in the world."
Quote:
Emaar, the developer of the Burj Khalifa, announced plans in 2016 to build an observation tower (not technically a "building") in Dubai that would be slightly taller than the Burj Khalifa, but construction for that project was also delayed by the pandemic.

For his part, Wood is optimistic that some form of the Jeddah Tower will one day rise, but he acknowledges that the construction process so far has been anything but typical.

"This is not a project running behind schedule; this is a project that totally stopped four years ago," says Wood. "There's no question it's atypical. It's not a construction delay, it's stopped. We keep hearing that it's going to start up again, but it hasn't as of yet."

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It will be finished as soon as the NEOM line building is finished.

White elephants are not an endangered species in KSA.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:52 AM

I'm so glad its failing and will hopefully never be completed. Makes absolutely no sense to build this thing in the middle of the desert.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:36 PM

^For the record, this building isn't being built "in the middle of a desert" but rather as a landmark structure to anchor a larger business development outside the city of Jeddah. . . say what you want about white elephants and whatnot, but let's keep the hyperbole out of the conversation. . . and on topic. . . [/MODERATOR NOTE]

. . .

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 7:16 AM
perhaps . . .

Are you kidding? Hyperbole is the nature of all supertalls. Lighten up Mr. Moderator.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:58 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
but rather as a landmark structure to anchor a larger business development outside the city of Jeddah
There's about as much chance of this development coming to fruition as there is of a rainforest sprouting in Dubai...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction