HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:04 PM

Oilers have been in full rebuild mode for 10 years now!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

We are 10 in to a 20yr build.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:12 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Maybe 30. We have to wait until Katz is able to pass it off to the next owner.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:14 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Oilers have been in full rebuild mode for 10 years now!
I certainly wouldn't call it rebuild. They made pretty much zero changes last off-season. Apparently one fluke payoff appearance every decade is good enough for the organization.

If they miss this year what happens? Probably nothing.

Maybe McDavid will demand a trade. That would be funny.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:20 PM
ハルウララ

The Oilers aren't rebuilding because a rebuild would have to be on purpose.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
I think Tkachuck will take a bit of a discount to stay here as the Flames have a really solid team, but I would expect somewhere north of $8 Mil.
Really you think he would get more than Sean and Johnny? He's having a great year, but it's also a career year, with many of the points coming on the PP with Sean, Johnny and Giordano.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:07 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
That's it Oilers, I'm done with you this season. I had hopes that you might at least compete for a playoff spot but you cannot be bothered to put in an effort most nights. College football is over, I'm done with hockey, and NFL has one game left. Pretty slim pickings for sports to watch now until football starts again.

the last two games have been pathetic and to come out with an effort like they did last night against Caroline is beyond excusable. Absolutely zero urgency, effort, or desire to even try.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I would howl with laughter if the Oilers missed the playoffs and the Canucks made it. Two years ago Oiler fans were planning this year's Stanley cup parade route.
The Flames might be better than I thought. I still don't think they are a serious threat for the cup, but if they can play like this next year with some playoff experience under their belt, they could be a force. I used to think my Leafs were a serious contender for the cup, but am now wondering of that's the still the case. I don't know what's going on with them.
The Flames need more truculence to be a serious contender, but yeah, they are a pretty solid team in many ways. This year everyone is having a career season, so it's all coming together.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That's it Oilers, I'm done with you this season. I had hopes that you might at least compete for a playoff spot but you cannot be bothered to put in an effort most nights. College football is over, I'm done with hockey, and NFL has one game left. Pretty slim pickings for sports to watch now until football starts again.

the last two games have been pathetic and to come out with an effort like they did last night against Caroline is beyond excusable. Absolutely zero urgency, effort, or desire to even try.
You must have a second favourite hockey team you can cheer for ?
For me it's the Sabres.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
This made me laugh.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
I think Tkachuck will take a bit of a discount to stay here as the Flames have a really solid team, but I would expect somewhere north of $8 Mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
Really you think he would get more than Sean and Johnny? He's having a great year, but it's also a career year, with many of the points coming on the PP with Sean, Johnny and Giordano.
My guess is 6 years at 7.75M for 46.5M. That's basically the same money Pastrnak got escalated for 3 years.

He gets more than the other Flames simply because the cap is higher.

His camp is going to want a 5 year deal to get to UFA faster, the Flames probably won't want to pay the price for the extra 2 years, so it ends up being a 6 year deal. That's been Treleving's MO as well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:

Oiler fans done with the Oil, haha never happens, you’re tattooed wth orange and blue for life so just suck it up and take it like a man. Yes the Oilers are a Zombie team this year but they’re not completely dead yet, and we all know how quickly the Oilers bandwagon will fill up should they squeak into the playoffs.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
We got Monahan and Gaudreau at an absolute bargain! Tkachuck would have to take a major discount as well to come in under those two contracts. I'm guessing $8M / year for Chucky, maybe $8.5M.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
The Flames need more truculence to be a serious contender, but yeah, they are a pretty solid team in many ways. This year everyone is having a career season, so it's all coming together.
The Flames need another Physical player for a playoff run. I wonder if we could trade Neal for Ferland and a draft pick. Carolina would probably be all over that assuming the pick is second or third round.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:

Now all you need is for the rest of Oilers Nation to follow suit, stop buying season tickets, stop buying merch, and hit management in the pocket book!! I doubt it will happen though as the Oilers and their glory days seem to be 90% of the civic identity of the city of Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:45 PM

So Eberle is traded for Strome who in turn is traded for Spooner who is now on waivers and will likely spend the rest of the year in the AHL. Oh, Oilers what great management of your assets.

Now, they have signed their 30-year old goalie Mikko Koskinen - he of 30 games NHL experience - to a 3-year contract with an AAV of $4.5 million. I really don't see the rush to sign him to a contract given so few games here, but that's Chiarelli for you.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
So Eberle is traded for Strome who in turn is traded for Spooner who is now on waivers and will likely spend the rest of the year in the AHL. Oh, Oilers what great management of your assets.

Now, they have signed their 30-year old goalie Mikko Koskinen - he of 30 games NHL experience - to a 3-year contract with an AAV of $4.5 million. I really don't see the rush to sign him to a contract given so few games here, but that's Chiarelli for you.
Loving every minute of it...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:00 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Now all you need is for the rest of Oilers Nation to follow suit, stop buying season tickets, stop buying merch, and hit management in the pocket book!! I doubt it will happen though as the Oilers and their glory days seem to be 90% of the civic identity of the city of Edmonton.
It is becoming fairly widely reported that their is internal panic as a result of many of the boxes and logge seats being on a 3 year contract and being up for renewal after this season.

I have heard of multiple companies deciding not to renew.

There is always going to be a waiting line for pairs of seats....but I can't imagine that there is a waiting line for boxes. What's a box, $400,000ish, Plus a couple grand a night in expenses. That is going to be where change comes from.

I see it all the time. I'm in land development. just about every consultant, developer, or contractor has season seats to wine and dine. Its getting to the point where the people who make decisions are going less and less and as a result your bringing "less important" people... It's no surprise companies are deciding not to renew.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:50 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
As much as I hate the Oilers, it's not exactly fair to look back on the Eberle/Strome trade as poor asset management. Rather it's BS revisionist history.

People seem to forget that the trade freed up $3.5M in cap space. This cap space was also preserved in the Strome for Spooner deal.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
It is becoming fairly widely reported that their is internal panic as a result of many of the boxes and logge seats being on a 3 year contract and being up for renewal after this season.

I have heard of multiple companies deciding not to renew.

There is always going to be a waiting line for pairs of seats....but I can't imagine that there is a waiting line for boxes. What's a box, $400,000ish, Plus a couple grand a night in expenses. That is going to be where change comes from.

I see it all the time. I'm in land development. just about every consultant, developer, or contractor has season seats to wine and dine. Its getting to the point where the people who make decisions are going less and less and as a result your bringing "less important" people... It's no surprise companies are deciding not to renew.
Boxes are big money, that's the #1 reason the Flames want a new arena. That and it will add about $100M to the value of the franchise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada