HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 1:24 PM
Closed account

Discussion about the Halifax subforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
It's pretty obvious that it's a troll account. Now I wonder who would be so bored to troll a development forum?
I'm just wondering what exists anymore in terms of moderation on this forum, lol. It's pretty obvious these posts don't contribute to anything and actively disrupt interesting and relevant discussion.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I'm just wondering what exists anymore in terms of moderation on this forum, lol. It's pretty obvious these posts don't contribute to anything and actively disrupt interesting and relevant discussion.
That's been my question for a long time. But...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:57 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
The FAQ says there’s a reputation system where people can give you positive, neutral or negative reviews. I don’t know how long ago they removed it though. It could have allowed the forum to self-regulate.

Sometimes I get the feeling “anything goes”, unfortunately.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Dec 31, 2020 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
The FAQ says there’s a reputation system where people can give you positive, neutral or negative reviews. I don’t know how long ago they removed it though. It could have allowed the forum to self-regulate.

Sometimes I get the feeling “anything goes”, unfortunately.
There are moderators for each section and there's a report feature that members can use when they feel a post has violated the rules. The forum is not "anything goes"; harassment, commercial posting, adult content, or illegal content are removed and sometimes offenders are banned. If there were no moderation this forum would be overrun with ads (trash contains 2,276 deleted threads at the moment). People usually question moderation over stuff that's around the boundaries of what is acceptable.

We tend to moderate anything that doesn't violate those rules lightly. Who is or isn't a troll or what tone or political slant is acceptable or unacceptable is in the eye of the beholder. If people disagree with what is posted, they are free to post rebuttals or other content. If it's vaguely related to the topic on hand and is not overly disruptive to others who wish to post, and is not a personal attack on posters, it tends to stay. Whether or not an account thought to be a troll account gets deleted mostly depends on their comportment toward other forumers.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 7:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
On the top right corner of a post, in the header, you will see a little red triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre. In this post, it is right next to the "#63" Hover over this and you will see that by clicking on it you can "report" the post. This will bring it to the mods attention.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 8:19 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are moderators for each section and there's a report feature that members can use when they feel a post has violated the rules. The forum is not "anything goes"; harassment, commercial posting, adult content, or illegal content are removed and sometimes offenders are banned. If there were no moderation this forum would be overrun with ads (trash contains 2,276 deleted threads at the moment). People usually question moderation over stuff that's around the boundaries of what is acceptable.

We tend to moderate anything that doesn't violate those rules lightly. Who is or isn't a troll or what tone or political slant is acceptable or unacceptable is in the eye of the beholder. If people disagree with what is posted, they are free to post rebuttals or other content. If it's vaguely related to the topic on hand and is not overly disruptive to others who wish to post, and is not a personal attack on posters, it tends to stay. Whether or not an account thought to be a troll account gets deleted mostly depends on their comportment toward other forumers.
I was hoping to hear your view on this. Even if I think the person is being a troll by mocking both sides of the discussion, they could fairly defend themselves by saying it’s satire. I know from other online communities that an overbearing moderator tends to hurt the trust of its users, so maybe it’s good not to police everything. If I think the person is fanning flames, maybe I shouldn’t fight fire with fire and ignore the post. Thanks for informing me on the policy and your efforts to enforce it, it was interesting to learn ads have been a problem.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I was hoping to hear your view on this. Even if I think the person is being a troll by mocking both sides of the discussion, they could fairly defend themselves by saying it’s satire. I know from other online communities that an overbearing moderator tends to hurt the trust of its users, so maybe it’s good not to police everything. If I think the person is fanning flames, maybe I shouldn’t fight fire with fire and ignore the post. Thanks for informing me on the policy and your efforts to enforce it, it was interesting to learn ads have been a problem.
I don’t think moderation should be too heavy handed but I would have thought the job of a mod would include warning / reining in users who frequently behave in an inflammatory, aggressive, or derogatory manner and tend to post remarks that appear intended only to offend or propagandize conspiracy theories. That doesn’t appear to happen here and as I’ve noted in other comments, we are dragged through pages of interpersonal arguments and frequent complaints about the behaviour that go ignored.

I don’t get it. I suspect it’s the same sort of reluctance to call out BS that the media suffered from the last couple of decades. The fallacious belief that there is a duty to “show both sides” even if one side is completely off the rails (or even completely illegitimate), lest they be accused of “censorship”. I don’t think telling someone to behave respectfully and rein in their bullying tone and stop upsetting people is censorship, unfair, or heavy handed.

In any case, that's my 2¢ and it's the last I'll post about it.

FKA Petey

Last edited by TrudeauSockPuppet427; Jan 1, 2021 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudeauSockPuppet427 View Post
I don’t think moderation should be too heavy handed but I would have thought the job of a mod would include warning / reining in users who frequently behave in an inflammatory, aggressive, or derogatory manner and tend to post remarks that appear intended only to offend or propagandize conspiracy theories. That doesn’t appear to happen here and as I’ve noted in other comments, we are dragged through pages of interpersonal arguments and frequent complaints about the behaviour that go ignored.

I don’t get it. I suspect it’s the same sort of reluctance to call out BS that the media suffered from the last couple of decades. The fallacious belief that there is a duty to “show both sides” even if one side is completely off the rails (or even completely illegitimate), lest they be accused of “censorship”. I don’t think telling someone to behave respectfully and rein in their bullying tone and stop upsetting people is censorship, unfair, or heavy handed.

In any case, that's my 2¢ and it's the last I'll post about it.

FKA Petey
We could always resort to self governance and pillory the transgressor. Though that does devolve into anarchy pretty quick.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
We could always resort to self governance and pillory the transgressor. Though that does devolve into anarchy pretty quick.
Harassment is not allowed here and that would probably fall into that realm.

For all the talk of how there is no moderation on the forum I had a look and I think we only had 1 reported post in this section in the past 3 months and a warning was issued for that one (we have a record of all reported posts and moderation actions). 0 people have reported posts or made private requests that went unanswered. I had 1 request to delete an account and when I asked them why they would not explain the reasoning (this is completely fine; they don't have to, but if we don't get explanations it is hard to know what is wrong). A number of other people have privately thanked me for past moderation efforts. This is the context in which I make decisions about moderation.

There is a per-user ignore feature and I recommend that for people who are bothered by posts of other users. Personally I wonder if the automatically curated feeds of social media services like Facebook and Twitter are changing expectations. Here you just see all posts in chronological order unless you ignore somebody.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:55 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Personally I wonder if the automatically curated feeds of social media services like Facebook and Twitter are changing expectations. Here you just see all posts in chronological order unless you ignore somebody.
Yes, let us not point fingers and instead blame the translucent-skinned, possibly alien Zuckerberg.

In all honesty I just think the generational gap has grown; a new, younger cohort of users has joined in the last few years with different expectations.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, let us not point fingers and instead blame the translucent-skinned, possibly alien Zuckerberg.

In all honesty I just think the generational gap has grown; a new, younger cohort of users has joined in the last few years with different expectations.
Is that a nice way to say they melt easily?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:07 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Is that a nice way to say they melt easily?
More on some things, less on others, but overall just different. Not better or worse.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
More on some things, less on others, but overall just different. Not better or worse.
Well as with most things with the Younger Cohort, time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:44 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Discussion about the section

Putting this here for any discussion about the Halifax section. Desired features, topics that should or shouldn't be covered, what rules of conduct should be, etc.

Not a place to air grievances about other forum members.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 1:06 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Putting this here for any discussion about the Halifax section. Desired features, topics that should or shouldn't be covered, what rules of conduct should be, etc.

Not a place to air grievances about other forum members.
And the peasants rejoice!

I think this should help keep myself and others from going on rants in other forums, while still being able to voice concerns. I don’t think I could have asked for a better solution.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Jan 5, 2021 at 1:21 AM. Reason: Replaced tangent with rant

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:01 PM

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I think the Halifax forum is moderated pretty well overall.

Sometimes the opinions are strong, sometimes we stray off topic, and lately some of the discussion has been a little... weird... but nothing along the lines of personal attacks have been allowed.

Also I haven't found the Halifax forum to contain any of the batshit-crazy stuff that I see on the Canada forum from time to time (well, all the time actually). I have to think this is because it's well moderated. And nothing I've read in the Canada forum comes even close to some of the completely loony crap I've read in American political forums...

I realize that we will all have varying levels of what is acceptable and what is not, so at least from my perspective I can say that I think it's an acceptable level.

I would like the tone of some of the posts to be a little more positive and a little less combative at times, but it's the internet so there's only so much you can do without moderating too much of the content of the discussion. Besides, we all can post something that we regret later when we get our dander up, so it's human... I know I've posted some things that I later realize I should have stated it differently.

Again, just my

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Just to add my 2 cents worth, I think the Halifax forum is moderated pretty well overall.

Sometimes the opinions are strong, sometimes we stray off topic, and lately some of the discussion has been a little... weird... but nothing along the lines of personal attacks have been allowed.
This sums up my opinions lately as well. I love participating in the development discussion and seeing the future of our city come to shape. I can do without some conversations lately but that's just my choice and I do not participate.

On a side note, I miss Jonovisions weekly updates!! I used to look forward to seeing a dozen new posts from you seeing how everything is progressing

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 8:01 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
On a side note, I miss Jonovisions weekly updates!! I used to look forward to seeing a dozen new posts from you seeing how everything is progressing
I do miss those as well, the development duffet FB page is nowhere near as active as it used to be either. There’s a similar page called “Developments HFX” which has been active and posting construction images every week. Jackson also runs a Tumblr blog with similar posts.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Harassment is not allowed here and that would probably fall into that realm.

For all the talk of how there is no moderation on the forum I had a look and I think we only had 1 reported post in this section in the past 3 months and a warning was issued for that one (we have a record of all reported posts and moderation actions). 0 people have reported posts or made private requests that went unanswered. I had 1 request to delete an account and when I asked them why they would not explain the reasoning (this is completely fine; they don't have to, but if we don't get explanations it is hard to know what is wrong). A number of other people have privately thanked me for past moderation efforts. This is the context in which I make decisions about moderation.

There is a per-user ignore feature and I recommend that for people who are bothered by posts of other users. Personally I wonder if the automatically curated feeds of social media services like Facebook and Twitter are changing expectations. Here you just see all posts in chronological order unless you ignore somebody.
Haha Definitely. Though I stay within the facts, I can exaggerate from time to time for dramatic or comedic effect. Probably was reading too much Hunter Thompson when I started writing.
(He had a way to make the downright procedural part of politics and government somehow funny).
I do agree the moderation here is fairly responsive, if my comment lead you to believe I didn't, that was not my intent. Just poking fun at the absurdity that the thread fell into.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 6:25 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

So did Joe report me & Mr. Leblanc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General