HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:06 PM

I would think there will be no movement or announcement on this project until covid is under control and majority of population has been vaccinated. If for no other reason, the optics of a mega project (which I fully support, btw) being announced while the public health of a population and the economy of a city/province/country are in question would just not be received well.

Hopefully, much work behind closed doors will continue on this and when the timing is right a celebratory type announcement can be made.

Of course, this is all just my humble opinion!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:37 PM

This is Regina related but Saskatoon definitely struggles the same if not more than Regina on this. Who wants to start an anti surface parking activist group with me?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...town-1.5862206

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:49 PM

I would be very interested and appreciate if one of our great tech/graphic users on here could produce a similar map for Saskatoon. I was shocked to see Regina's!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 9:58 PM

Here is a non official discussion on arena location by one of the architects from Kindrachuk Agrey Architecture.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rena-1.5433663

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Here is a non official discussion on arena location by one of the architects from Kindrachuk Agrey Architecture.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rena-1.5433663
hopefully there’s an announcement soon! I am itching for some positive news for Saskatoon - be it the arena or new downtown farmers market cynthia block promised in her election card last fall, or winter city adjustments to make downtown more bearable during this cold.

My hope is for more inter connectivity with our downrown 365 days of the year - and when I say that I mean I want to see the arena integrated with a hotel and possibly a condo - RIVER LANDING 2.0. Let’s dream big - in ten years time we’ll need another big project once this is complete.

when i lived in winnipeg I loved how Winnipeg’s MTS center connected to their skywalks and tunnels. I remember taking a walk down to it during a rainy/windy day during my lunch break to just get out of the office. Imagine being able to go for nice walks during your work breaks and even be able to walk to a concert in -40 without the need for a jacket. That’s the Saskatoon I want to see before I die

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:33 PM

Speaking of making Saskatoon more engaging in winter....
I was pleasantly (and kind of have to admit a bit shocked) to see SO MANY people at Crossmount on the weekend. It is a great set up with skating pond, x-country ski trails, hiking/walking paths, snow shoeing and of course the cider pub.

What struck me was the number of people in -8C weather enjoying cups of hot cider at tables or around fires and hale bales. Some were enjoying a lunch of pizza and cider/beer. So....it made me think if the proper infrastructure where there, we really could do OUTSIDE patios for at least part of the winter downtown...just need some heaters and maybe blankets. It's worth a try.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Speaking of making Saskatoon more engaging in winter....
I was pleasantly (and kind of have to admit a bit shocked) to see SO MANY people at Crossmount on the weekend. It is a great set up with skating pond, x-country ski trails, hiking/walking paths, snow shoeing and of course the cider pub.

What struck me was the number of people in -8C weather enjoying cups of hot cider at tables or around fires and hale bales. Some were enjoying a lunch of pizza and cider/beer. So....it made me think if the proper infrastructure where there, we really could do OUTSIDE patios for at least part of the winter downtown...just need some heaters and maybe blankets. It's worth a try.
I live by a pond with a walking path around it and multiple skating areas cleared on it (as well as a loop all the way around that a neighborhood guy plows with his side-by-side dune buggy) and the number of people outside has definitely gone up this year, especially this winter. The pandemic has played a huge factor with more people/families just being around without a lot else to do, but the temperatures have been pretty fantastic throughout December and thus far in January as well. There are always people out walking, skating, sledding, having fires in the backyards, etc. which there hasn't been nearly the same activity in the previous 5 winters we've been around. However, if it were -20 and below, the number of people would definitely go way down (looks like we might find out next week if the forecast holds true).

Much like patios are subject to weather in the summer, having proper infrastructure for "reasonably warm" days in the winter like we've had could work in certain settings (Crossmount is definitely a nice setting to do that at, compared to sitting in a parking spot patio next to a busy street for instance).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:36 PM

Yes...the concept of "winter patios" would definitely be weather dependent and to a degree location dependent. But if we had more access to river front cafes and lounges, I bet you would see support. Something like Shifts great patio at the Remai!

This is an amenity that Saskatoon still sorely lacks for a 'river city'...great trails, but little to no "destinations" along river.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:37 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for musings, but since the U of S has depleted its reserves (https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...s-historic-low), do you think they will more seriously consider selling off or leasing the ag land within Circle Drive? If that happens, what would you like to see happen with that land?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Yes...the concept of "winter patios" would definitely be weather dependent and to a degree location dependent. But if we had more access to river front cafes and lounges, I bet you would see support. Something like Shifts great patio at the Remai!

This is an amenity that Saskatoon still sorely lacks for a 'river city'...great trails, but little to no "destinations" along river.
Yup, totally agree!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for musings, but since the U of S has depleted its reserves (https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...s-historic-low), do you think they will more seriously consider selling off or leasing the ag land within Circle Drive? If that happens, what would you like to see happen with that land?
I’m sorry they’ve gotten record enrolment from the pandemic, record low costs for doing everything online. What a joke. They’re thriving.

Anyway - yes! I wish they’d give up a lot more land.
1. Spreading manure on their existing land downtown makes our downtown smell which is a huge reason why I don’t want to live in Saskatoon. Is spreading manure sensible practice? They’re a school of ag why aren’t they experimenting with new fertilizers. We’re not a dairy province - leave dairy to guelph. We are an oat milk province that grows like 70% of North America’s oats.
2. Does any other university have this much land in the core of their city? I think it’s very wasted and hurts our downtown. The area just off of preston could be a very high end residential area. It’s not even good land for future planning - if our arena or any other important amenity gets built on it that’s geared towards downtown i’ll barf.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:27 PM

The university is pursuing development of a large portion of their core endowment lands (albeit at a slow pace), which presents a significant infill opportunity for the city as well as a huge potential for revenue to support the university (which tenraptors was getting at).

I found a webpage on the planning currently underway for the area -- see "University Sector Plan": https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-de...s/sector-plans

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:20 PM

That U of S Lands map twigged me to an interesting memory from many years ago.

Back when Home Depot was first coming to Saskatoon, the developer (Shindico, as I recall) was actually working with the U of S and the COS to place our first Home Depot on the triangular-ish piece of land between Circle Drive and Sutherland, south of 108th Street. I recall discussion of the infrastructure required to get traffic in and out of there. In the end, it went in the more conventional location on the south side of Circle Drive, though probably at a much higher land cost.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:50 AM

What type of development should we expect for the Phase 1 portion of this plan? Has there been any discussion?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
What type of development should we expect for the Phase 1 portion of this plan? Has there been any discussion?
I haven’t heard anything or seen anything new from the U of S/City. I imagine the plot in Sutherland will be developed into multi-family residential. It’d be cool if a couple mid-rise mixed-use towers were built there, if the land can get rezoned successfully (and the NIMBYs don’t prevail)

There’s a master plan for CQ floating around, you can find it here: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/pdf/co...Plan_Final.pdf

That was released 6 years ago...I doubt there will be any major developments at CQ until the economy recovers.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 11:29 AM

The south lands should be reserved for a sports precinct. Maybe a stadium and the new arena?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
There’s a master plan for CQ floating around, you can find it here: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/pdf/co...Plan_Final.pdf

That was released 6 years ago...I doubt there will be any major developments at CQ until the economy recovers.
It seems like a lot longer ago that that and I see the report is dated January 2010, so that makes sense. Other than the new student residences near the Williams building, there hasn't been much development in accordance with the plan. Merlis Belsher Place wasn't reflected on it, though it does show a twin pad arena connected to the north side of the fieldhouse, so I'll give them a pass on that. There is a building shown where the Staybridge Suites hotel got built, but it was noted as an Academic/Office building. Only other new-ish building is the the Huskies clubhouse addition at Griffiths that didn't make it onto the Master Plan.

I'd be curious to find out if the Master plan is still the plan.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:42 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
The south lands should be reserved for a sports precinct. Maybe a stadium and the new arena?
Regardless of whether or not one thinks that those lands might be well-suited for the new arena, that ship has long ago sailed. The city has been categorical in its preference for a downtown location for the new arena.

In any case, the College Quarter is already a sports precinct and the facilities there will undoubtedly continue to receive widespread use even with a new downtown arena.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:05 PM
Unregistered User

The new Statistics Canada population estimates are out as of a few days ago.

The Saskatoon CMA stands at a population of 336,614 as of July 1, 2020. We are closing in on Windsor (the next largest CMA) which is now only about 20k larger than Saskatoon, however any hope of surpassing it anytime soon is moot as the Windsor CMA is slated to absorb the Leamington CA and Essex County for the 2021 Census, adding on about 40k more people.

Troublingly, we have been seeing a pattern of increasing interprovincial out-migration since the last year of net gain in 2012. Saskatoon still ranks highly in terms of overall growth rate, but this comes as a result of intra-provincial migration, international immigration, and natural increase. It appears therefore that Saskatoon is a landing point for people internationally, and a nexus for people scaling up within Saskatchewan, before moving out to other provinces.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...020003-eng.htm
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

What could be done to reverse this trend? We saw net interprovincial migration gains during the years of 2007 through 2012 -- was this an anomaly due to a cluster of favourable external conditions that may not arise again, or was there anything going on internally to help the situation as well? Obviously the resource economy was doing well but is that the end of the story?

In light of the statistics the solution seems to be twofold. First, we have to do a better job of attracting new residents from other provinces within Canada. And second (perhaps more importantly), we have to do a better job of convincing the people who do land here from within Saskatchewan and from outside Canada to remain in Saskatoon rather than moving elsewhere.

My hope is that we are seeing enough downtown development and improvement of civic amenities to turn the tide to make Saskatoon a more attractive place to stay. I also think that an improved cold-weather strategy is hugely important. Living in a winter city isn't so bad if you are accustomed to it, but my fear is that people arriving here from areas of the world that perhaps don't see such cold weather (or for that matter, lengthy winters) are not sufficiently prepared for the climate here, nor do they find enough winter-focused amenities or resources to make the season more pleasant, or at least sufficiently unpleasant.

Setting external forces aside, what can be done on the population attraction and retention fronts, practically speaking? I know skywalks have been raised, which although I wouldn't consider to be a panacea (they tend to cause street level activity to deteriorate). That said, I think a balance could be struck by placing them in key locations, such as from Midtown Plaza to the Scotia Centre. I also think that warming huts in parks could be popular -- if we can put them in bus shelters, why not parks, too? On another note, these are things that could only really be done by the city or private investment. Is there anything we can do as citizens to help the situation?

What do people think?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:50 PM

Most of the Canadian people I know that came here from 2007-2012 were only here because their province’s economy crashed during the crisis. We were just blessed with high commodity prices (commodities as a safety net) at that time, and none of them planned to stay here once the commodity cycle ended. It was kind of a perfect storm for our economy but we didn’t capitalize on it with more sustainable enjoyable jobs than temporary rigger gigs :/

I think we’re in for a similar situation here soon with oil demand about to ramp back up, and covid fears swaying investors to commodities again PLUS some natural disasters increasing demand for our crops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan