HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:27 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I wonder how likely in the future it will be to reconvert the ground floor back into retail
Slim and none.

Other than a dozen block faces in the very hottest neighborhoods, there's just no demand for that kind of retail. No black iron for restaurants; no loading dock or high-ceiling storage for serious retailing. Developers have chafed for years about being forced to include it, and it typically turns into mortgage offices or, at best, poorly capitalized "spas" and hobby businesses.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:32 PM
The City

I gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised with IMD leadership on continuing to move these developments forward instead of perpetual land banking.

Hopefully they can sell off these assets to private owners and use the money for their primary focus: healthcare and research

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 10:44 PM
THAT Guy

River Point by Brule Laker, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 12:00 AM

Instant Icon!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 12:01 AM

I love it!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:21 PM

Chicago gets its Calatrava on the river

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:45 PM

Looks cool..but kinda looks more like a sports team logo or something..

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:52 PM
The City

I'd have to see it in person, but based on the color alone it looks like it really stand out when looking west from one of the bridges over the Chicago River

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Looks cool..but kinda looks more like a sports team logo or something..
It's not done yet - more to bolt on.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:26 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised with IMD leadership on continuing to move these developments forward instead of perpetual land banking.

Hopefully they can sell off these assets to private owners and use the money for their primary focus: healthcare and research
I agree, I thought for sure the later phases of Gateway would die on the vine. Happy to see they have permits for the hotel and residential phases. I'm still skeptical until I see groundbreaking, though. It will be nice to have the street grid restored in this area (assuming they didn't chicken out of this feature from NIMBYs).

Also, how much hotel demand is there really at this location? They already opened two flags in the old Cook County Hospital, and there is a Marriott on Ashland. Is a fourth hotel needed? Residential should be successful, there are plenty of IMD workers and students that are ending up further and further away from campus, and Rush just tore down a huge chunk of student housing to build their new outpatient center.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also, how much hotel demand is there really at this location? They already opened two flags in the old Cook County Hospital, and there is a Marriott on Ashland. Is a fourth hotel needed? Residential should be successful, there are plenty of IMD workers and students that are ending up further and further away from campus.
UIC & IMD have lots of meetings and conferences, plus West Loop is right next door, so there should still be demand after the pandemic

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
UIC & IMD have lots of meetings and conferences, plus West Loop is right next door, so there should still be demand after the pandemic
Plus isn't hte long term goal to make this more of a hub for life sciences R&D? Maybe putting hte cart before the horse with all the hotels but if they do end up building new lab and meeting spaces it could pay off down the road to have the hotel space.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:19 PM

The permit stated "residential hotel" so I would guess it's geared towards more long term guests. Guests whose family member is undergoing treatment there for example, and they'd like to stay for more than just a week or two.

Worst case scenario you can always convert to actual residential im sure but don't overlook the long term hotel aspect. I grew up in a place with a famous hospital and there were a bunch of independent hotels like this - some more like 5 or 6 stories and not exactly super small.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:59 PM
TL;DR

If it's a "residential hotel" then I suppose it's Homewood Suites, assuming the previous info is still correct. That brand is geared more toward long-term stays.

I get there is SOME demand for hotel space in IMD given conferences etc, it just seems like they're overbuilding. Given that everything is centrally planned, it seems odd they would build another hotel to compete with the two they just opened, before they've even had a chance to prove the market.

Looking at the site plan, it looks like the hotel will contain a joint parking podium for the hotel and the apartment building... the apartments will sit on a narrow parcel along Ogden that wouldn't fit parking very efficiently. So maybe they need to build both at one time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Speaking of hotels in the IMD, there is action with a 6-floor Hampton Inn, slated for 710 S Seeley. Bidding in mid August.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Speaking of hotels in the IMD, there is action with a 6-floor Hampton Inn, slated for 710 S Seeley. Bidding in mid August.
Thats what we've been talking about. Good to know the brand now..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:14 PM
BANNED

^ I didn't think it's what you guys were talking about because 710 S Seeley is due south of the site plan above. Hmm

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ I didn't think it's what you guys were talking about because 710 S Seeley is due south of the site plan above. Hmm
No its not. The problem is that 710 S Seeley doesn't exist yet on Google Maps, so when you look it up, it will default to a little south of where it actually is.

You can look at a parallel street such as Damen or Oakley. Look up 710 S Damen or 710 S Oakley and look at where it is in relation to that plot of land. That address doesn't exist yet for Seeley so what you are seeing us actually 1000 block of South Seeley

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:30 PM
BANNED

^ Thanks for clarifying. For that, I'll send you the dwgs which include a nice rendering. The design looks like....a Hampton Inn (save for the beauty HI rehab of the Chgo Motor Club building).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:23 AM

As I was sayimg before...the IMD hotel makes more sense geared towards families of patients getting care

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...trict-projects

Quote:
But demand for hotel rooms in the IMD could differ from the broader market, tied more closely to families of patients receiving treatment at IMD hospital buildings.
Also says the IMD site is trying to finalize funding. Also this
Quote:
The news comes just a few months after veteran Chicago developer Jack Higgins walked away from leading a consortium of developers on the project. Higgins sold his stake in the venture to Higginbottom and recently took a new job with the development arm of Chicago-based real estate firm Clayco.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development