HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
I'm hoping we get something closer to Battery Park City - a cohesive neighborhood with human-scaled elements and matching/complimentary styles of architecture.

The all glass towers-in-the-park rehash just isn't doing it for me...
IMO, I think its too much park to be honest. Too much park, not enough density. I'd like to see the density increase and the park reduced in size.

Just of those those things where land is so scarce, and they somewhat are going for the tower in the park concept with Phase II. I'm for parks, but I just think this one is a tad bit big.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:56 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
IMO, I think its too much park to be honest. Too much park, not enough density. I'd like to see the density increase and the park reduced in size.

Just of those those things where land is so scarce, and they somewhat are going for the tower in the park concept with Phase II. I'm for parks, but I just think this one is a tad bit big.
...I have never met someone who thinks there's too much parkland in Southern Manhattan...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:08 PM

In addition of the unseen work below the western yard, Related + Oxford probably will want to wait for the uber-luxury market to bounce back before committing to the mostly residential phase 2. Apparently sales at 35 and 15 HY have been abysmal. Like, really bad.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...covid-19/46301

Quote:
35 Hudson Yards, 500 West 33rd Street
total sales: $15,486,250
average price: $5,162,083
units sold: 3
completed: 2020
Quote:
Fifteen Hudson Yards, 15 Hudson Yards
total: $44,652,708
average: $6,378,958
units sold: 7
completed: 2019

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:16 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, I would expect any sales there to be bad. It's bad across the board in the city as far as that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
I'm hoping we get something closer to Battery Park City - a cohesive neighborhood with human-scaled elements and matching/complimentary styles of architecture.

The all glass towers-in-the-park rehash just isn't doing it for me...

Battery Park City is what I compare the second phase to, in terms of it being largely residential, with some office. There will be no lowrise scale, unless you count the towers on lowrise bases. As you know, there will be a school located here as well. But there is a density that is required for Related, because of the open space mandate. They can't just build a lowrise neighborhood. The central portion of the yards wasn't supposed to have any buildings at all (where it looks like the Calatrava towers are), but they got around that.

But I believe this is pretty much what you are going to see, these displays are permanent. And you can pretty much pick out the Gehry and Calatrava towers. Of course, actual renderings won't look as scrambled.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ds-nyc-opening

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:33 PM

If they are trying for condos in the 3-10 million range, good luck...but isn't the residential supposed to be rental? So this proposed lineup(more or less) will be what we see in the skyline here from the Jersey City side? These are really nice... how many in all, likely...8 would be written in stone?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i dk if its written in stone, but its been that from early on with no known wavering.

and it kinda has to be what it is or similar for them to make their money back and the profit. that’s why i think once they finally get the ok from the transit authorities it will start immediately. that’s been the holdup all along.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:45 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, the work on the platform would start whether or not the towers themselves would start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
If they are trying for condos in the 3-10 million range, good luck...but isn't the residential supposed to be rental? So this proposed lineup(more or less) will be what we see in the skyline here from the Jersey City side? These are really nice... how many in all, likely...8 would be written in stone?
The site plan, and number of towers is set. The residential won't be rental, as this is where Related expects to get its money from the complex.

Quote:
https://therealdeal.com/2019/12/27/r...-hudson-yards/

Related no longer giving timetable for finishing Hudson Yards
Second phase — with offices, homes and a school — was due in 2024

TRD New York
December 27, 2019

The news, buried at the end of a New York Times piece Thursday, follows a report in August by the New York Post that Related had not obtained approval from the Long Island Rail Road for the design of the development’s second phase. But the company did not say at the time that it would miss its announced 2024 completion date.

Design approvals aside, there is another reason not to rush luxury apartments onto the market: A plethora of units remain unsold at the first phase of Hudson Yards and other West Side buildings. “The issue is that the consumer feels the market is going to decline further,” Pierre E. Debbas, a managing partner at Romer Debbas, a real-estate law firm that has represented condo buyers in Hudson Yards, told the Times.

The second phase, dubbed the Western Yard, would span 6,220,000 square feet, and incorporate several residential towers, an office complex and a grade school, according to Related’s website.

Related and its partner Oxford Properties Group submitted plans in the summer of 2018 for a platform to be built over the rail yard. Without approval, the Western Yard development cannot proceed.

“We’re in the planning stages of Phase 2 and are currently focused on the Gateway tunnel, platform and the commercial building planned in the northeast corner,” a spokesperson for Related told The Real Deal. The company had no comment on when the phase would be done.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:59 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Did they ever give a figure of how many units will rise or projected within the 6.2 mil square feet?

I hope its in the range of 4000-4500. This is a prime opportunity for a ton of market-rate units.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:46 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ good question. are the number of apts in these buildings known? no doubt it is if not publically. it would be interesting to see that breakdown.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

If the breakdown was ever given I don’t recall. But there’s this overall...

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/d...r/western-yard

Quote:
Phase 2 of development at Hudson Yards is the Western Yard, occupying the area from 11th to 12th Avenues between West 30th and West 33rd Streets. Upon completion, the Western Yard will include approximately 6,220,000 square feet, incorporating several residential towers, an office complex and a school serving K-8th grade students.

OFFICE: 2,000,000 SF
RESIDENTIAL: 4,000,000 SF
RETAIL: 100,000 SF
SCHOOL: 120,000 SF

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 11:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If we assume on average 750-1100 sqft per unit, where looking at a minimum of 3000-3200 units. Just minimum. Just for concept, spread over 4 mil-sqft.

A good sign is when a school is present. That's a crap ton of units if they need a school for it. I think we'll see closer to 3700 units (just my inclination)

4 mil-sqft is massive. I mean if this is your standard size unit found in newer developments, I wouldn't expect many 10k sqft units or penthouses, but a bulk being 750-1100/1200 sqft. Studios, 550-600 sqft.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 12:01 AM

So Barclays Bank is supposedly moving its North American HQ to Hudson Yards. They're looking at proposed towers.

I wonder if the planned office tower in Related's Phase II is under consideration.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
So Barclays Bank is supposedly moving its North American HQ to Hudson Yards. They're looking at proposed towers.

I wonder if the planned office tower in Related's Phase II is under consideration.

Could be, but that seems much further off than something like 3 Hudson, or even 2 Manhattan West. It could even be 50 Hudson or the Spiral, though for that much space you would think they would want to anchor the lower floors. That would reason to think it would be a tower without a major signed tenant yet. Hard to say these days. But it's welcome news for the city, that and Chase saying it's time to start returning the forces.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: City Realty

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:21 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

while i do not think we will get any renders for awhile i am looking forward to them. no doubt they will be quite handsome. the green and the people living there will really liven up the area from the cold and dystopian feel it has now. unfortunately, i don’t think anything is going to be resolved with the transit authorities to start the decking anytime soon.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Coordination underway to protect the right-of-way for future tunnel construction.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully the EIS final draft/submission timeline remains the same. Would be nice to get everything wrapped up for phase II by 2026, but IDK if thats optimistic.

Hopefully capping the yards doesn't take two years. Would be nice if its just one year.

I have a feeling, realistically, 2028. If I had to bet.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:12 AM
New Yorker for life

There was a delay, but things seem to be moving in place.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:05 AM
New Yorker for life

More fantasy rendering....

Image by gammavisualstudio

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 6:17 AM
Everywhere all at once

That's honestly an awesome design, I would be fine with this

While I am not wishing for this to be delayed for an extended time, it would be interesting if it were ... and when built with an updated redesign in, say 2035, how the two schemes would differ, architecturally, technologically, and otherwise, because of the time that had elapsed in between them. I am reminded of the first phase of Rockefeller Center with 30 Rock and its surrounds, vs. the latter XYZ buildings on 6th Avenue (1211, 1221, 1251 Avenue of the Americas). What a difference a few decades makes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals