HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 11:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It's tough but Strev's has brought a new dimension to the team with his toughness and running ability and stronger arm. He does need to improve on reading coverages though. I think Matt is done it makes more sense for the Bombers to use the Nichols money to resign Strev long term and finally develop their own qb for the first time since Dieter Brock!
I remember the very first game where they brought Dieter (or Ralph as he then was) in to replace Chuck Ealey. It was against Montreal and the Bombers didn't belong on the same field as the Alouettes in those days. But Brock led them to a win and that was it for Chuck Ealey.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I remember the very first game where they brought Dieter (or Ralph as he then was) in to replace Chuck Ealey. It was against Montreal and the Bombers didn't belong on the same field as the Alouettes in those days. But Brock led them to a win and that was it for Chuck Ealey.
They said Brock threw 95 yards from his knees in Calgary one game in 1980 or 1981. Strongest arm in CFL history he had.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:50 AM

Nichols' football career isn't necessarily over, but his days as a starter probably are. The Bombers would be crazy to hitch their cart to him heading into next season. Even if he ends up in Ottawa or wherever, he'll play 3 games and get injured again.

It will be interesting to see if the Bombers can land a decent backup to mount a bit of a stretch run. For next season, will it be Streveler or someone else?

It feels like this season is turning into a nosedive for the Bombers, but there's still time to pull up before it's too late...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:57 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
They said Brock threw 95 yards from his knees in Calgary one game in 1980 or 1981. Strongest arm in CFL history he had.
They never ever played his poor backups -- many seasons, I don't think they got a snap. You don't see that so much anymore.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:03 AM

Details of the CFL stadium proposal in Halifax
3Down Staff 3downnation September 26, 2019

The details of the CFL stadium proposal in Halifax have been made public.

Halifax council voted unanimously to move ahead with a staff report on the proposed stadium plans, which have been submitted to the municipality. Shannon Park was the chosen location to build a stadium with 12,000 permanent seats expandable to 24,000 for CFL games on a 38-hectare area.

According to the proposal, phase one of the design would cost just under $94 million. There would be an extra $10 million for the cost of the land. The mobilization date is October 19 with completion of the project set for June 1, 2022.

Halifax regional municipality chief administrative officer Jacques Dube released a statement along with the specifics of the proposed facility:

SSE forwarded the latest version of its proposal on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019, following some initial questions and requests for clarification by municipal staff.

In the interest of transparency, the municipality sought approval from the proponent, SSE, to release the proposal publicly. SSE has consented to public disclosure of the proposal – with the exception of five appendices (A, G, H, I and O) containing information that is the property of a third party.

SSE is currently working with the third party to review and redact information, as necessary, prior to releasing these documents publicly. Once any required redaction has been completed, and approval has been granted, we will be publicly disclosing the remaining documents.

From the Halifax CAO release:

The Schooner Sports and Entertainment proposal assumes that some or all the funds for the municipality’s financial support would be generated from a tax incremental financing (TIF) model.

Five funding options are outlined in the SSE proposal regarding the manner (timing, mechanism, etc.) in which the municipality may consider using the funds generated from the TIF to contribute to the stadium.

Option #1: Maximum Financial Contribution of $2M Per Year Over the Term of the Loan with TIF Revenue Going Directly to SSE
Option #2: Upfront Cash Payment
Option #3: Smaller Upfront Cash Payment with Committed Cash Payments over the Term of the Loan
Option #4: Loan Guarantee
Option #5: Sliding Scale of Committed Cash Payments

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has said the possibility of an Atlantic Schooners hinges on a stadium deal. The league and SSE are one step closer to making the dream a reality.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:09 AM

^ 35 years and nothing has changed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:24 PM

Big win for the CFL to get Keith Urban for the half time show
Not fan personally, but on the world stage he is HUGE and I think the CG half time will outdo the Super Bowl half time this year

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I think the CG half time will outdo the Super Bowl half time this year
It does every year

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Big win for the CFL to get Keith Urban for the half time show
Not fan personally, but on the world stage he is HUGE and I think the CG half time will outdo the Super Bowl half time this year
I thought the same thing. I don't particularly like him but having a "country" act in Calgary is a smart move and he's got enough "pop" in his music to appeal to a very large audience.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 1:52 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Man the Bombers are dissapointing - really thought this was going to be their year.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Man the Bombers are dissapointing - really thought this was going to be their year.
The way they started out with a bang combined with a total back-stretch collapse just rubs salt in the wound.

As far as I'm concerned, O'Shea should be axed post haste. And every time I have brought this up, some of his defenders hit me with the "hurr durr so who are you going to replace him with, smart guy?" Well, Montreal, Saskatchewan, Hamilton have managed to unearth decent HCs in the last couple of seasons. I'm not sure why Winnipeg couldn't do the same instead of signing up for more disappointment which is practically what defines O'Shea's painfully long head coaching tenure.

Good for Saskatchewan, they played very well and they have a good team going there.

I also enjoyed the dramatic finish to that Montreal-Calgary game... the Als are an amazing surprise this season, it's hard not to get excited about them.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:30 PM

Seems that the Riders want to wait to the last minute to conduct a winning drive. Great for entertainment but tough on the ticker!

Absolutely love that Montreal knocked off the Stamps (again!). Watch some views of the crowd on Twitter. Lots of energy from the crowd. Shows what an exciting team can do.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Absolutely love that Montreal knocked off the Stamps (again!). Watch some views of the crowd on Twitter. Lots of energy from the crowd. Shows what an exciting team can do.
Crowds are picking up as well, the dumpster fire/train wreck is on the comeback trail.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 8:20 PM

Can we get attendance numbers from MTL?

I’ve noticed that it has indeed been growing.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Can we get attendance numbers from MTL?

I’ve noticed that it has indeed been growing.
From stats.cfldb.ca:

June 6 (Ottawa, Preseason) - 13,474
July 4 (Hamilton) - 18,673
July 20 (Edmonton) - 16,137
August 2 (Ottawa) - 17,498
August 9 (Sask) - 16,580
Sept 6 (BC) - 17,487
Sept 21 (Winnipeg) - 19.070
Oct 5 (Calgary) - 18,454

Current average is 17,699. Average for last season was 17,332. They're up over last year, but still far short of 2017.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 10:08 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
From stats.cfldb.ca:

June 6 (Ottawa, Preseason) - 13,474
July 4 (Hamilton) - 18,673
July 20 (Edmonton) - 16,137
August 2 (Ottawa) - 17,498
August 9 (Sask) - 16,580
Sept 6 (BC) - 17,487
Sept 21 (Winnipeg) - 19.070
Oct 5 (Calgary) - 18,454

Current average is 17,699. Average for last season was 17,332. They're up over last year, but still far short of 2017.
Who really knows how honest the figures ever are.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 10:23 PM

I think tarping the seats this year has actually hurt them and I hope they get rid of them next year as it looks stupid tarping seats on an already small 25,000 seat stadium and looks very bush league. This aint the Big O with 60,000 seats.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Who really knows how honest the figures ever are.
Everyone I've talked to about the Als' attendance this year says the crowds look much healthier than last year, so I'm inclined to believe that there was more papering/fudging of the numbers last season. By no means is their attendance great this year, but it is stable going on increasing and that's a good sign when the other big markets (Toronto, Vancouver, and even Calgary) are trending downwards.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:20 PM

To my eyes the crowds in Montreal look noticeably bigger than they were in the last couple of seasons... which is funny given that the announced attendance numbers aren't much different than before. The crowds also appear to be much louder and more engaged with the game, which isn't surprising given that the team is way better this season than anything they've seen in recent years. I agree with thurmas, they can probably do away with the tarps.

Khari Jones is such a likeable guy, I always loved him as Bomber QB and I will adopt the Als as my playoff team as the Bombers continue to head for an inevitable first round flameout...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yesterday morning I went out for breakfast and the restaurant as usual had Le Journal de Montréal hanging around for its customers.

Since it's a tabloid they often have sports on the front page and the main story with a big headline was a large photo of the Alouettes with "EN SÉRIES!" in huge letters. EN SÉRIES is basically THEY MADE IT!

I found this interesting as the Habs-Leafs game was very exciting and dramatic, in addition to being the de facto season opener being on a Saturday night against an Original Six rival.

It was still on the front page, but in a less prominent position occupying the bottom left quarter of the page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada