HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even in the first couple of words that softball player said: "a long taaahhhyme". Like an elongated vowel sound. To me "time" is much more clipped when most Canadians say it.
I'm getting less "regional" and more "vocal fry" from her.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I'm getting less "regional" and more "vocal fry" from her.
There was a bit of that as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
No, it's definitely a Toronto accent. Without actually knowing where she was from or what her ethnic background is I could 100% place her as being from the GTA.
I think there is some confirmation bias going on here. To my ears she sounds distinctive from the typical Torontonian.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

What does "vocal fry" mean?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
What does "vocal fry" mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY

It's apparently even hazardous to the speaker's health ...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think there is some confirmation bias going on here. To my ears she sounds distinctive from the typical Torontonian.
I agree with you. There is a lot of Torontonian in her accent but foreign tinges as well.

You don't really hear that when people like Jian Ghomeshi or George Strombopoulos speak, even though they have immigration in their recent backgrounds as well.

My guess is that Bianca would speak like them had she not done a back-and-forth between Canada and Romania in her youth.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

Ohhh... thanks

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

On the contrary, beyond being Canadian I had no idea where she was from until I first heard her speak, which fairly immediately outed her as being from somewhere around Toronto.

Quote:
You don't really hear that when people like Jian Ghomeshi or George Strombopoulos speak, even though they have immigration in their recent backgrounds as well.

Jian Ghomeshi or George Strombopoulos are media personalities. The way they speak is not really representative of anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
On the contrary, beyond being Canadian I had no idea where she was from until I first heard her speak, which fairly immediately outed her as being from somewhere around Toronto.

Jian Ghomeshi or George Strombopoulos are media personalities. The way they speak is not really representative of anywhere.
Ghomeshi was born in the UK and moved to Canada at age 7 (as I did) and to my ears I don't detect the London accent anymore.

Strombopoulos was born in the GTA and somehow can't slow down when he speaks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. There is a lot of Torontonian in her accent but foreign tinges as well.

My guess is that Bianca would speak like them had she not done a back-and-forth between Canada and Romania in her youth.
Both speak "CBC", no? Whether that is the same as their natural accent, I have no idea.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

If I had no idea where Bianca was from, heard her speak for a few minutes, and was told she was from Marin County, California, or St. Paul, Minnesota, I'd believe that. (The U.S. has lots of accents within it, that vary widely in terms of how neutral they are. All of the variants of the Anglo-Canadian accent could exist within the confines of the U.S. as passable "variants". Except for Newfoundland probably - which probably shouldn't be considered Anglo-Canadian anyway...)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

Most people speak in vocal fry these days, it's when you hear your voice crackle a bit, it's really common among both sexes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
All of the variants of the Anglo-Canadian accent could exist within the confines of the U.S. as passable "variants". Except for Newfoundland probably - which probably shouldn't be considered Anglo-Canadian anyway
This isn't really true phonologically. Canadian raising isn't present nearly as much in the US and when it is it's not present with as many sounds. And a bunch of Newfoundland sounds are present throughout all of Atlantic Canada. The "ar" shift is the big one, immediately identifiable with respect to most other North American accents, and still common. The parts of the Maritimes that had a lot of Irish and Scottish immigration and not much of a modern influx from other areas sound closer to Newfoundland than to the rest of Canada.

What I would say is that Canadian accents are no more different from American accents than American accents are from each other. There is a lot of variation in the US, although it is disappearing there just as it is disappearing in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Probably the most defining feature of any discussion of Canadian accents is the fact that the differences are so slight as to be unnoticeable to lots of people and even contentious to those trying to nail them down geographically. Still...

Quote:
Ah OK, then in that case it's 100% a Romanian accent that we're hearing
Quote:
If I had no idea where Bianca was from, heard her speak for a few minutes, and was told she was from Marin County, California, or St. Paul, Minnesota, I'd believe that
There is 0% Romanian in her accent. Here's some Romanian-accented English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCzB0fUsS0.

Her accent is distinctive enough from American speech that you could easily point it out to a layperson who would otherwise identify her as American. The short A in the word "slams" exists nowhere in the US, where it would be varying degrees of "slayams."

Though, granted, we're obviously talking about subtle differences in pronunciation and cadence that aren't as prominent as with other accents. But I think she sounds identifiably like a GTAer, and other GTA people on this thread seem to agree with me.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:29 PM

Yes, there are tonnes of people who are born and bred around TO who don't have the accent like there's a lot of Brooklynites who don't speak like how they are widely portrayed.

A lot of this depends on what crowd you hung out with growing up and which part of the GTA you're from.

Strobmo I just read is from Malton, Mississauga, which is where YYZ is. It is heavily brown and black these days, but back in the day it was more diverse as it was home for so many blue collar airport industry workers. But back in his days for all we know he could have grown up around skids. In his Much Music days he had metal in his face and a chain hanging out of his pocket. Or he could have just outgrown it or purposely dropped it as he wanted to work in media.

If you're a WASPY kid in Oakville, Burlington, Georgetown, Newmarket or Uxbridge, etc., chances are you're not going to have the accent. But if you're of the "ethnic" type, including Eastern European, Italian, Portuguese, etc. then there's a strong chance you will develop some of that accent.

My inlaws are Polish but the kids all grew up playing hockey, mostly surrounded by white kids in upper middle class Etobicoke, Sauga, Oakville and now Burlington. My 14 year old niece in Burlington does not have the accent but she tells me so many of her schoolmates speak with the accent and Burlington has gotta be about 80% white, though I should point out this in the new section around Appleby, so it would be more diverse there.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:54 PM

Another excellent example is Snow. He's Irish background but grew up around Jamaicans in Scarboro. If you ever listen to an old interview from the 90s vs one from this decade, he clearly outgrew it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:04 AM

I've worked at a couple of call centres when I was younger. The first one I worked at had only American clients. The second one only had Canadian clients.

I can tell the difference right away whether somebody is Canadian or American. (raised in that country) It's not always in just the accent but also the pattern in which the person talks.
For Canada, some Newfoundlanders are difficult to understand. For the U.S., I found that African-Americans in Louisiana were the most difficult to understand.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
No, it's definitely a Toronto accent. Without actually knowing where she was from or what her ethnic background is I could 100% place her as being from the GTA.

Even if there is a tinge of Romanian in there, as Megadude described there are commonly regional/ethnic variations on the Toronto accent anyway. An Italian from Woodbridge and a Jamaican from North York and a Chinese guy from Scarborough are bound to sound a little different, but will all still be unmistakably Torontonian.
Does Jagmeet Singh have a GTA accent? He sounds like quite a lot of Torontonian former classmates I know, but he lived in various places, including Newfoundland in childhood.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Does Jagmeet Singh have a GTA accent? He sounds like quite a lot of Torontonian former classmates I know, but he lived in various places, including Newfoundland in childhood.
Quintessential 905 to my ear, although he's not born and raised, so maybe I'm off.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Probably the most defining feature of any discussion of Canadian accents is the fact that the differences are so slight as to be unnoticeable to lots of people and even contentious to those trying to nail them down geographically. Still...

There is 0% Romanian in her accent. Here's some Romanian-accented English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCzB0fUsS0.

Her accent is distinctive enough from American speech that you could easily point it out to a layperson who would otherwise identify her as American. The short A in the word "slams" exists nowhere in the US, where it would be varying degrees of "slayams."

Though, granted, we're obviously talking about subtle differences in pronunciation and cadence that aren't as prominent as with other accents. But I think she sounds identifiably like a GTAer, and other GTA people on this thread seem to agree with me.
Whether it is Romanian or not, or Québécois from her coach or whatever, there are clearly foreign non-anglo intonations in there.

Most GTA born and raised people do not have that, regardless of origin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada