HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
You love to see it! MM Partners also has a great deal of experience investing in marginal neighborhoods primed to see explosive redevelopment. Might be a sign that Norristown is going to turn a corner soon.
Liberty Bell Lines Trolley revival when?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:58 PM
Chris

International gene therapy developer Exegenesis opens U.S. offices in Montco, plans to triple local staff

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

More cell / gene therapy news. Exciting stuff.

"“I have lived in the Philadelphia area for over 12 years and have witnessed the emergence and maturation of the 'Cellicon Valley," Wu told the Business Journal. "I have actually organized several regional cell and gene therapy symposiums. I think it is a huge advantage to be located close to scientists who are shaping global thinking in gene and cell therapy. Philadelphia is a hotbed for talent in this field. This will be critical for us as we grow.”"

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
International gene therapy developer Exegenesis opens U.S. offices in Montco, plans to triple local staff

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

More cell / gene therapy news. Exciting stuff.

"“I have lived in the Philadelphia area for over 12 years and have witnessed the emergence and maturation of the 'Cellicon Valley," Wu told the Business Journal. "I have actually organized several regional cell and gene therapy symposiums. I think it is a huge advantage to be located close to scientists who are shaping global thinking in gene and cell therapy. Philadelphia is a hotbed for talent in this field. This will be critical for us as we grow.”"
That's awesome to hear!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 5:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Over in Easton PA.

Some nice infill slated to rise. Pic by me.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 12:10 PM

Easton, Allentown, and Bethlehem are becoming a center of locus in their own right. It has the potential to be a super dynamic satellite region of Philadelphia (and New York).

I did wish that there was a bit more centralized organization to provide the region with a strategic focus, sort of how we have the PIDC, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, the University City Science Center. If there were a few more major corporate relocations to the region from North Jersey and a strategic entrepreneurial alliance between some quasi public foundations and say, Lehigh (University), Lafayette College, Moravian, and DeSales, it could really take off.

My only hope is that there is enough momentum to pull areas further out, like Carbon and Schuykill Counties, into its regional orbit in order to provide more economic opportunity for a wider swath of the state. I think for sure we're already seeing it in southern Carbon County...but it remains to be seen how far it can go.

Does anyone know if there is a regional planning commission in the Lehigh Valley?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Easton, Allentown, and Bethlehem are becoming a center of locus in their own right. It has the potential to be a super dynamic satellite region of Philadelphia (and New York).

I did wish that there was a bit more centralized organization to provide the region with a strategic focus, sort of how we have the PIDC, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, the University City Science Center. If there were a few more major corporate relocations to the region from North Jersey and a strategic entrepreneurial alliance between some quasi public foundations and say, Lehigh (University), Lafayette College, Moravian, and DeSales, it could really take off.

My only hope is that there is enough momentum to pull areas further out, like Carbon and Schuykill Counties, into its regional orbit in order to provide more economic opportunity for a wider swath of the state. I think for sure we're already seeing it in southern Carbon County...but it remains to be seen how far it can go.

Does anyone know if there is a regional planning commission in the Lehigh Valley?
Yes - the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:14 AM

New Jersey Wind Port Holds Groundbreaking, 1,500 Jobs to be Created

Quote:
Gov. Phil Murphy was joined today by U.S. Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh, union leaders, and federal, state and local officials to break ground on the New Jersey Wind Port in Lower Alloways Creek in Salem County.

The New Jersey Wind Port is the nation’s first purpose-built offshore wind marshaling port, and is seen as a key cog in positioning the state as a hub for the US offshore wind industry, providing a location for essential staging, assembly, and manufacturing activities related to offshore wind projects on the East Coast.

The wind port is expected to be completed in 2023 and support up to $500 million in new economic activity within the state and region each year. According to Governor Murphy, it has the potential to create up to 1,500 manufacturing, assembly, and operations jobs, as well as hundreds of union construction jobs in the state.
Really excited about this. Renewables are the future, it's great to have this in the area and be ahead of the curve.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 2:46 PM

More in South Jersey

Construction Underway At EEW-AOS, Nation’s Largest Offshore Wind Manufacturing Facility, In Gloucester County, NJ

Quote:
The ongoing development boom in the greater Philadelphia region is not limited to new buildings sprouting around the city, nor is it even constrained to the surrounding towns and suburbs within the metropolitan area. In a way, it extends well into the Atlantic Ocean, where massive wind farms are on the drawing boards off the coast of southern New Jersey. A major milestone for local renewable energy has just been reached, as construction is now underway at the Phase 1 of the EEW-AOS monopile manufacturing facility at the Port of Paulsboro Marine Terminal in Gloucester County, NJ, located on the Delaware River across from the Philadelphia International Airport. The facility, the largest of its kind in the United States, will be used to assemble monopiles, which are gargantuan cylindrical supports for wind turbines.

The development is the first foray into the United States for EEW-AOS, a Europe-based group with a project portfolio spanning the globe. The project team also includes Ruggieri & Partners as the architect, Orsted & Rycon Construction as the construction manager, and The Harman Group as the structural engineer for the concrete foundation.

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/cons...county-nj.html

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 5:25 PM
Chris

Rite Aid moving its headquarters away from central Pa

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2021/0...ladelphia.html

Rite Aid moving headquarters to Philadelphia. Interesting details within (remote approach), but great news for Philadelphia and the Navy Yard!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:32 PM

Amazon hiring 4,800 workers in Philadelphia region

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. plans to hire 4,800 employees in the Philadelphia area as part of a nationwide push to add 125,000 more workers across the country. The roles will be concentrated in transportation and fulfillment, offering an average starting wage of around $18 per hour.

Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) made the announcement on Tuesday morning at Philadelphia's City Hall alongside Mayor Jim Kenney, state Sen. Anthony Hardy Williams, state representative Regina Young, Commerce Director Michael A. Rashid and Philadelphia City Council members Darrell Clark, Cherelle Parker and Kenyatta Johnson.

Amazon Senior Staffing Manager Sam Bankole said that many of the jobs will be serving people in communities that are underserved. The planned Southwest Philadelphia Amazon facility, located at 6901 Elmwood Ave. will be a focal point of the hiring push.

"We're going to bring a thousand jobs to Southwest Philadelphia, to a community that hasn't seen job creation in generations, in a community that has been overlooked," Williams said.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=9#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:29 PM
Chris

The momentum is real!

Harsco becomes second central Pa. company this week to move headquarters out of the region

https://www.pennlive.com/business/20...arrisburg.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:41 AM

Target leases 331,428-square-foot Upper Merion warehouse built on spec

Locate at 900 River Road in King of Prussia. Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...on-center.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:57 PM

Don't believe this was posted here yet. A great sign for momentum in the local innovation economy:

Philly just ranked high on a global list of startup ecosystems. These local leaders aren’t surprised

Quote:
A report assessing the strengths, talent and startup resources of regions around the globe this year named Philadelphia in its top 30 ecosystems.

The city moved up 15 spots in the Startup Genome’s Global Startup Ecosystem Report (GSER) after being named the top “emerging” ecosystem last year. For 2021, it’s No. 28 on the global list. The report notes Philadelphia’s depth of tech talent, access to regional and global funding, and strengths in data analytics and life sciences as leading reasons for its ranking.
https://technical.ly/philly/2021/09/...system-report/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:43 PM
Me?!?

It's times like this when I wish PA would get rid of our current structure and move more towards a county system. I do wonder if we will begin seeing more of this as things become more built out:

New developer seeking to build 598-unit apartment community at border between Whitemarsh and Conshohocken on the riverfront

Last week Whitemarsh Township sent out the agenda for a September 28th meeting of its planning commission. On the agenda is a proposal to construct a 598-unit apartment community along the riverfront on two adjacent properties that straddle the border between Whitemarsh Township and the Borough of Conshohocken.

From the agenda:

The agenda item is ZHB #2021-43, applications of KRE Acquisition Corp. for property located at 401 & 433 Washington Street. The Applicant proposes to construct a 598-unit residential apartment complex in four buildings on these two properties; the combined tract is located in both the Borough of Conshohocken and Whitemarsh Township, with the vast majority of proposed units in the Borough. All of the road frontage is in the Borough, though the majority of the riverfront area is in Whitemarsh (see the plans enclosed). The entire project site is approximately 11.2 acres in size. The 401 & 433 Washington Street properties are approximately 5.48 acres and 5.69 acres.

https://morethanthecurve.com/new-dev...he-riverfront/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:23 PM

The article also mentioned a recently approved 13 story building at 400 W Elm St. I don't remember hearing anything about that. Does anyone have more information?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
The article also mentioned a recently approved 13 story building at 400 W Elm St. I don't remember hearing anything about that. Does anyone have more information?
Third apartment community set to begin construction in Conshohocken
https://morethanthecurve.com/third-a...-conshohocken/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Fantastic!

I love the old bag comments at the bottom, lol. Conshohocken is ruined! They never get old.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Fantastic!

I love the old bag comments at the bottom, lol. Conshohocken is ruined! They never get old.
Yea, I mean the town has exploded in the past ~15 years. Traffic is an issue, at least before COVID. It could take me 30 minutes to go 1-2 miles to get out over the river. But at this point it comes with the territory.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
It's times like this when I wish PA would get rid of our current structure and move more towards a county system. I do wonder if we will begin seeing more of this as things become more built out:

New developer seeking to build 598-unit apartment community at border between Whitemarsh and Conshohocken on the riverfront

https://morethanthecurve.com/new-dev...he-riverfront/
What a great project! Thanks for posting. Conshohocken is on fire

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations