HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Next city to build 85-100 story building?
Houston 17 23.29%
Dallas 8 10.96%
Atlanta 13 17.81%
Austin 30 41.10%
Nashville 3 4.11%
Charlotte 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Leaving Miami out since they've already accomplished this feat; what southern city will be next to do this? Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Austin or Nashville?
My guess would be rivals Houston or Dallas, always trying to show eachother up as big dog in Tejas. Maybe Austin will come along and show them both up.

On the Pacific coast, everybody thinks it will be LA or SF. Would be funny if Seattle came along and did it. They built the first 70+ years before LA (Columbia Square, 76 floors). Oakland or Long Beach would be perfect "I'm here too" to SF and La. San Diego could do it if they didn't have the 500 foot limit.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 28, 2020 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Almost two weeks into this thread/poll, and I would of thought Dallas would of gotten the most votes out of the choices. Interesting with Austin.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:50 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I'm no construction industry expert, but on Arch Boston we have a bunch of actual developers, PMs, and architects working for the big guys. To a person, they're saying capital markets for large new projects are frozen solid and will be for the foreseeable future. To quote one of the more knowledgeable members, "Debt capital markets are freaked out about construction lending right now, credit is super expensive and the last thing that lenders like is uncertainty. They get paid to NOT take risks on stuff, and there is way way way too much going on to finance a project this size. Furthermore the big syndicates that would take pieces of a deal this size are kind of out of the market because of all the junk they need to deal with in their existing book, they're not going to float a $700MM loan on a ground up deal that's a total flier right now."

I don't see anything this size going up anywhere in the US in the next decade outside of NYC and maybe Chicago and Miami. No one has any appetite for this level of risk.
Odd given the massive liquidity injection by central banks . Borrowing money is basically costless at this point .

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Almost two weeks into this thread/poll, and I would of thought Dallas would of gotten the most votes out of the choices. Interesting with Austin.
Houston historically builds the +700ft office buildings.

Austin and DFW usually build the highrise residential/hotels. Austin has been building more large offices recently, but it has the most mixed use high rise potential.

My money is on Austin then Houston.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Odd given the massive liquidity injection by central banks . Borrowing money is basically costless at this point .
Construction lending is still very risky and underwriting standards are very tight. They are projects being cancelled because they cannot obtain financing, even though interest rates are at zero and liquidity is flooding the system.

If the Fed could guarantee construction loans like it does with certain mortgages, it really would be a boon for the industry...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:30 PM

Of the cities listed, I think Austin will be the next one to build a 75+ story tower. They have the land prices and the centralized urban infrastructure to do it. I give it five years. I don't see Dallas building anything above 50 stories in the next decade. They are perhaps the most decentralized major city in Texas coupled with the fact that they are a city of suburban office campuses. Houston is also decentralized, but not to the extent of Dallas. Houston has a long history of going vertical and there is a new emphasis on urbanizing the only node of the region, that being the 610 loop. I think in the next 5-8 years we'll probably see a 60+ story tower in Houston considering that right now there are 4+ 40+ story towers under construction with a consistent healthy demand for condo/apartment living.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:07 AM

Economics for a tower that large favor Austin. Highest land values of them all. Plus the one building the most residential and mixed use which is likely what a tower like that would have to be.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:27 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

To me it seems Dallas-Fort Worth stopped building genuinely huge skyline defining skyscrapers in the 1980s, with a few recent exceptions like Museum tower and Fountain Place of course.

Instead there are a lot of new high-rise towers in Uptown which are maybe only 1/3 the height of the big downtown landmarks, and then TONS of 4-5 story donut apartment buildings just everywhere.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
To me it seems Dallas-Fort Worth stopped building genuinely huge skyline defining skyscrapers in the 1980s, with a few recent exceptions like Museum tower and Fountain Place of course.
Fountain Place: best skyscraper in the South, one of the best in the country. IM Pei

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:10 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Sorry, I meant to say its "twin" residential building that mostly mimics the original's glass and general form.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:28 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Construction lending is still very risky and underwriting standards are very tight. They are projects being cancelled because they cannot obtain financing, even though interest rates are at zero and liquidity is flooding the system.

If the Fed could guarantee construction loans like it does with certain mortgages, it really would be a boon for the industry...
You mean bring back the conditions of the savings and loan crisis?

That era helped a lot of big towers get built on spec, but that included a lot of bad investments and shady deals. And the result was severe overbuilding.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Fountain Place: best skyscraper in the South, one of the best in the country. IM Pei
My favorite skyscraper!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
My favorite skyscraper!
Now just imagine if its planned twin had been built...

PCF

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Now just imagine if its planned twin had been built...

PCF
Obviously inspired by the Pennzoil twins in Houston, but much taller. Was it the same architect? I agree, the single building looks lonely without the other one. But alas oil price collapsed back in the early 1980s as did the Texas banks so the tower remains lonely.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:37 AM

How about in Ft. Worth???

Ft. Worth, Texas's forgotten big city, gets no respect. No votes. I vote Ft. Worth. San Antonio, where my mom was born, also gets no mention. San Anton with an underperforming skyline could join the Tejas big leagues with an 80 floor monster. El Paso, the giant of west Texas, would be an even bigger longshot. Needs to build a 30 story first. With land prices cheap, the pass has a single family detached houses sprawl layout, so zero chance I guess.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 30, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Obviously inspired by the Pennzoil twins in Houston, but much taller. Was it the same architect? I agree, the single building looks lonely without the other one. But alas oil price collapsed back in the early 1980s as did the Texas banks so the tower remains lonely.
The late great Philip Johnson did Pennzoil Place, 1976 - the same year IM Pei did the Hancock Tower in Boston. Fountain Place was also done by Pei, 10 years later. He really loved that highly-reflective blue glass during this phase of his career (the surfaces of the Hancock Tower and Fountain Place are basically identical). I agree, there looks to be some strong cues taken from the former.

Fountain Place is getting a shorter residential twin as we speak, which may end up looking even better than an identical twin would have.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:31 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Ft. Worth, Texas's forgotten big city, gets no respect. No votes. I vote Ft. Worth. San Antonio, where my mom was born, also gets no mention. San Anton with an underperforming skyline could join the Tejas big leagues with an 80 floor monster.
Texas’s two largest suburbs? Ha.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Dallas got Fountain Place and I.M.Pei dropped this load on Houston a few years earlier:

The fifth side is ugly and wouldn't be so bad if it was four sided all like this:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Fountain Place is getting a shorter residential twin as we speak, which may end up looking even better than an identical twin would have.
I'm actually glad that a twin was not constructed--I think FP should stand out, and it does. That said, the newer residential tower is not exactly thrilling (from what I've seen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Dallas got Fountain Place and I.M.Pei dropped this load on Houston a few years earlier:
Hey, at least it's a pretty clean design and not--as most towers of that age were--some gross PoMo monstrosity.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 1:01 AM
them bones

Both Hancock in Boston and Fountain Place in Dallas were designed by Henry Cobb, Pei’s very gifted partner. Way too many people forget about him and James Freed (US Bank in Minneapolis).

Pei IS responsible for Chase in Houston though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions