HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:34 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm surprised Vancouver turned it down. Why did they? They have the best stadium next to Commonwealth.

Ottawa was eliminated pretty quickly because our stadium is too damn small, but why was Regina rejected?
I would guess hotel capacity and public transit would both rate close to D if not F grade.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:39 PM

FIFA is a corrupt organization (to say the least), and wanted a blank check from local government. I have no problem with BC telling them to shove it.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:55 PM

I was also looking at the proposed match schedule for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and Canada of course is drawn into Group A slotted into A1...Mexico in Group E slotted into position E1 and USA in Group I slotted into position I1. But that all 3 countries will play on Day 1 of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:10 PM

I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere along the line in the bidding process, but can anyone remind me how much will be spent on improvements to the three Canadian host venues? Are they getting major overhauls or minor touch-ups?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere along the line in the bidding process, but can anyone remind me how much will be spent on improvements to the three Canadian host venues? Are they getting major overhauls or minor touch-ups?
I can expect something in the tens to hundreds of millions especially on renovations and expansions for stadiums but also I know where I come from...Toronto...for the World Cup alone on transit (TTC, GO, VIA RAIL) but also hotel accommodations for the 48 countries that will be here for 2026...and on training grounds/facilities for teams to train at...I can expect touch ups and overhauls

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:49 PM

But also the beauty of this World Cup is how it is set up:

North America- USA, Mexico, Canada (hosts) + 3 other countries from North America; CONCACAF gets 6 spots

Africa- gets 9 spots (9 teams)

Europe- gets 16 spots (16 teams)

South America- gets 6 spots (6 teams)

Asia- gets 8 spots (8 teams)

Oceania- gets 1 spot (1 team)

The last 2 spots to make up 48 countries will be determined by inter confederation playoff

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:03 PM

Being the son of a German immigrant I am more interested in how die mannschaft will perform as they are always a favorite to win the world cup compared to Canada not being a soccer power.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post

Oceania- gets 1 spot (1 team)

The last 2 spots to make up 48 countries will be determined by inter confederation playoff
Not an expert by any means but doesn't this lead to massive competition between Aus and NZ? Seems weird to give NA 6 spots, Asia 8 spots, but Oceania 1. Also you'd think SA would need more spots than Asia.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Not an expert by any means but doesn't this lead to massive competition between Aus and NZ? Seems weird to give NA 6 spots, Asia 8 spots, but Oceania 1. Also you'd think SA would need more spots than Asia.

Yeah but Australia is not under Oceania anymore but they are a part of Asia...but New Zealand their only other competition is Fiji, Papua New Guinea and or Tahiti. Australia competes in Asia with Asian teams. Asia getting 8 teams makes sense as well as Africa getting 9 teams and South America getting 6 teams.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:43 PM

Plus with a 48 team World Cup you will get to see countries in there getting a chance who normally wouldn't qualify for World Cups with 32 teams. With 48 teams they have a better chance at getting to the big dance.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Yeah but Australia is not under Oceania anymore but they are a part of Asia...but New Zealand their only other competition is Fiji, Papua New Guinea and or Tahiti. Australia competes in Asia with Asian teams. Asia getting 8 teams makes sense as well as Africa getting 9 teams and South America getting 6 teams.
Makes sense then.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:12 PM
ハルウララ

With the way sports are right now I wouldn't assume anything is set in stone for 2026. As we can see today these things can change pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg11
Plus with a 48 team World Cup you will get to see countries in there getting a chance who normally wouldn't qualify for World Cups with 32 teams. With 48 teams they have a better chance at getting to the big dance.
Widening the WC field to 48 inherently diminishes the quality and the prestige of teams that are actually able to qualify but it's pretty obvious why FIFA would widen the field... coughChinaandIndiacough

Quote:
Ottawa was eliminated pretty quickly because our stadium is too damn small, but why was Regina rejected?
Lack of hotel rooms and lack of a suitable airport with connections. Also, it lacked premium (see: five star) hotels for delegates. Edmonton scored fairly low in some of these categories IIRC but I haven't looked at the bid book in a year or more. They looked at things like cell coverage and reception as well.

As for Vancouver there's rumours that they're still potentially available for the tournament but they seem to be mostly unfounded rumours for the time being.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
With the way sports are right now I wouldn't assume anything is set in stone for 2026. As we can see today these things can change pretty quickly.

Widening the WC field to 48 inherently diminishes the quality and the prestige of teams that are actually able to qualify but it's pretty obvious why FIFA would widen the field... coughChinaandIndiacough

Lack of hotel rooms and lack of a suitable airport with connections. Also, it lacked premium (see: five star) hotels for delegates. Edmonton scored fairly low in some of these categories IIRC but I haven't looked at the bid book in a year or more. They looked at things like cell coverage and reception as well.

As for Vancouver there's rumours that they're still potentially available for the tournament but they seem to be mostly unfounded rumours for the time being.
Then it would make sense to add Vancouver as a 4th venue

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:

But at least India and China have a chance to qualify as well as other countries who have never been there before and by having more countries in you expose a lot more fans to football and create change promote more multiculturalism

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:54 PM

I agree with JHikka. An increase in teams is going to result in a lot of awful matchups.. I'd rather quality over quantity (hence why the Euros are so exciting). But more games means more profit so ..

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I agree with JHikka. An increase in teams is going to result in a lot of awful matchups.. I'd rather quality over quantity (hence why the Euros are so exciting). But more games means more profit so ..
Even then, the 20 team Euros was kind of trash tbh. The group stages were basically useless as 16 teams qualified anyway. I guess more games was a plus though so I guess its hard to complain.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:59 AM

Exactly and with a 48 team World Cup you get a lot more games too...in your average 32 team World Cup you would only have 64 games altogether whereas in 2026 we will have 80 games...really where is the downside in that?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:21 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Not so sure about that...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised Vancouver turned it down. Why did they? They have the best stadium next to Commonwealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There was a 500 pager outlining the bid, potential host-city requirements etc.

Basically:

-airport size/connections
-market capture
-geographic coverage
-4star + hotel capacity
-public transportation
-media facilities/infrastructure
-destination activities/tourism potential
-reputation/resume of similar large-scale events
-political will
etc.
Yaroslavl and Saransk are two World Cup 2018 cities that would have a huge leg up on cities like Regina & Winnipeg I'm sure.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 10:04 AM

But at the same time with a World Cup being played here at home in Canada, you can bet Canada will probably have the most crazy fans for sure. As far as fans being the loudest and Canada's games being sold out I think that is inevitable. At least with Canada, Canadians have a chance at being able to hear/sing the Canadian national anthem at a World Cup, for the first time since 1986. Take that in, the last time Canada ever qualified was Mexico 1986. Fast forward to 2026. That is 40 years of not being on the world stage at a World Cup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada