HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 7:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Such a ridiculously bad decision back in the early '90s by Halifax council to preserve what was left of the burned-out facade. It has been an albatross around the neck of Barrington St for nearly 3 decades, and likely whatever ultimately comes out of this will not change that very much.
I think the real problem is the view plane that creates such a low height limit over the building. This probably would have been a more viable project if the developer could have put even a few floors above the facade. And it could have been a nicer project without the lightwell compromise; it would have been the usual commercial ground floor, maybe some offices for a couple floors above, and then apartments above that.

It reflects poorly on the municipality that they implemented rules that caused this site to sit empty for so long. They should have issued a variance at least for this site in order to get the ball rolling, even without the request of the developer. They could have bumped the one site up to 6 or 8 floors.

On top of the problems with this particular site the streetscaping that has been planned for years was never started and the street remains an unpleasant corridor for loud diesel buses (at least it's not a truck route I guess). For all the noise that is made about improving downtown Halifax, the municipality doesn't actually do much.

When I was in Cuba it was hard not to notice some of the obviously poorly-maintained and dangerous infrastructure. For example, at one point they just sawed off a street sign and left a metal spike extending out of the sidewalk. I saw that in Halifax too last time I was back. Halifax also has a lot of electrical poles, streetcar overhead poles, etc. that predate the Cuban revolution. I think most declining Rust Belt cities in the US have higher quality and better maintained downtown roadways and sidewalks (often from revitalization projects that failed to revitalize anything, but still). Halifax has a fabulously wealthy tax base compared to those dying towns which are down to 1/3 of their original population or embargo-era Havana yet its infrastructure is in many ways comparable or worse.

Last edited by someone123; Nov 1, 2016 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 11:55 PM
Honored Member

This image was posted by Ziobrop almost exactly one year ago (Feb 26, 2016) - http://56.media.tumblr.com/830c9e7ea...slyo2_1280.jpg . Has much happened since then?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This image was posted by Ziobrop almost exactly one year ago (Feb 26, 2016) - http://56.media.tumblr.com/830c9e7ea...slyo2_1280.jpg . Has much happened since then?
In recent months I've caught glimpses of a whole steel building frame behind the facade, rising well out of the foundation level. Dunno beyond that.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 2:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
In recent months I've caught glimpses of a whole steel building frame behind the facade, rising well out of the foundation level. Dunno beyond that.
Thanks for the information. For some reason I was thinking that it would be concrete, but a steel structure should rise more quickly and it makes sense in such a confined space. (this might also explain the delay since it takes time to order steel and get it on site)

The drawings do seem to show steel floor trusses - http://www.halifax.ca/municipalclerk...reetlocked.pdf

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 20, 2017 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:57 PM

Seems like most of the work that's been going on for this one has been behind the scenes. I talked to the owner of the building and he said the city hasn't allowed him to put up any scaffolding/netting on the Barrington St side of the development which has really slowed down the building

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:57 PM

Damn thing should have been knocked down 20 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:39 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Damn thing should have been knocked down 20 years ago.
I think we get it, Keith.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 9:05 PM

1572 Barrington St by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

Progress is very slow; perhaps the owner is building it himself on weekends? If so, that's ok, no rush. At least it is getting rebuilt, hopefully with meticulous attention to detail.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 9:26 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
1572 Barrington St by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

Progress is very slow; perhaps the owner is building it himself on weekends? If so, that's ok, no rush. At least it is getting rebuilt, hopefully with meticulous attention to detail.
Thanks for the update. It certainly is slow progress on this one.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 9:27 PM

Perhaps the 5 Moes are down 2 or 3 men.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 11:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder what the plans are for the restoration of the facade. Presumably any facade work would need to wait until the support structure is removed, and that will need to wait until the structure inside is mostly complete.

It's too bad that construction is taking so long but it at least looks like a construction site now instead of a derelict building.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

Big delivery of steel today.

20170321_110649 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:29 PM
Honored Member

^^^ That is great to see. Hopefully we will see several more of these deliveries over the coming months.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's impressive to see all the changes along this stretch of Barrington. In addition to the NFB Building there's the Nova Centre, 1592 Barrington, Espace, and the Phinney Building renos. The only unfortunate element is the Tramway building, which has been stripped of detailing for years now. It's a bit underappreciated because it's a 20th century concrete building instead of an eclectic brick and stone Victorian. It is nevertheless interesting from an architectural history perspective, and deserves to be kept in good condition.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:04 PM

Steel is now visible from the street. Just barely.

20170509_122136_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20170510_121009_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20170510_120948 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:50 PM

Nice to see progress here, albeit slow.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:02 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for all the updates Jonovision. It is great to see this rising above the facade.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:50 PM

Halifax Retales posted this:
"A country music bar called Ruby Rhinestone I hear will be occupying the ground floor of the new construction where the NFB used to be on Barrington (by Blowers)"

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Halifax Retales posted this:
"A country music bar called Ruby Rhinestone I hear will be occupying the ground floor of the new construction where the NFB used to be on Barrington (by Blowers)"
He corrected himself. It's going on Salter Street, under 2 Doors down restaurant and using the same door as Reflections.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:53 PM

Makes more sense for location; since it's a Country bar, it makes no sense

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth