HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The Raptors just won the phreakin' championship, there are two million phreakin' people lining the parade route in Toronto today, people are a little bit, you know, phreakin' excited...but my apologies if this offends you and we aren't behaving with the level of decorum that you would find acceptable.

If this apology doesn't placate your delicate sensibilities, might I suggest fucking off? That way you could avoid getting splashed on while people are jerking off over their favourite team.
With all due respect, I don't understand why Raptors fans are so touchy. As you yourself said, there are 2 million people in the streets, the media, political and celebrity classes are all gaga over the Raptors, the Americans and (part of) the world are paying attention...

And yet people still react to random comments on here as if they'd been told their baby was ugly.

If my team had won the FIFA World Cup and there were millions in the streets and wild celebrations to partake in and savour, my attitude towards people who'd call soccer a sissy, faker sport would be "talk to the hand", I've got the Jules Rimet trophy in one ear and the Ballon d'Or in the other, can't hear you mate!

I wouldn't be engaging them on every single detail.

It all makes me wonder if Raptors fans in terms of the acclaim they seek aren't a bit like the old Queen song: I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:44 PM

With all due respect, don't lump all Raptors fans together.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:50 PM
Registered Drug User

I dunno, I'm only seeing touchiness on the part of people who don't seem happy about us talking about the Raptors in this thread. It's not Raps fans demanding it all; on the contrary, it's non-Raps fans demanding we don't get too excited about the team.

Which is practically pathological considering the fact that we just had a thrilling playoff run culminating in a championship. But sure, best not to feed the trolls.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
With all due respect, I don't understand why Raptors fans are so touchy.
Yea, it's not the Raptors fans who are touchy. It's those who are salty about the success of other teams/leagues over their preferred teams/leagues.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Local fan made the news (via Jimmy Kimmel) for being a traitor.

http://vocm.com/news/local-raptors-f...y-kimmel-crew/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I dunno, I'm only seeing touchiness on the part of people who don't seem happy about us talking about the Raptors in this thread. It's not Raps fans demanding it all; on the contrary, it's non-Raps fans demanding we don't get too excited about the team.

Which is practically pathological considering the fact that we just had a thrilling playoff run culminating in a championship. But sure, best not to feed the trolls.
I have yet to meet any Raptors fans who were not excited this entire season and playoff run.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:03 PM

I'm actually wearing my Bargnani jersey right now. I have three stitched older jerseys, red, white, black, all traded players, etc. Hence Bargnani. Hence the $10 price tag at Si Vous Play Sports lol.

The others are Anthony Parker and Jermaine O'Neal. 10 bucks and 20 bucks.

No way I could afford current jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Someone had a sign that read:

"Started from Bargnani, now we're here"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:05 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Ya I just got back from university/front and it was insane. I thought the 2 million estimate was a bit aggressive but I might believe it.

Seeing some of the aerial views I was struck by how much it looked like the recent Hong Kong protests, which also saw 2 million+ people take to the streets there:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Local fan made the news (via Jimmy Kimmel) for being a traitor.

http://vocm.com/news/local-raptors-f...y-kimmel-crew/

LOL awesome!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I saw pictures of the cars parked on Gardiner Expressway on Facebook. Well done, TO! Grats!
They were warning people not to drive anywhere near downtown. But anything short of using the Amber Alert system, lots of people would not be aware.

Everyday I walk from Adelaide and University to Union. On a normal day By 3pm the lineup down to the Gardiner can easily take half hour in car. I always wonder how many of those people regularly do this and how many were DT for the day and had no idea what it's like.

Basically, if you drive DT here, waze or google maps should be running on your phone as soon as you hop in the car.

Jurassic Park has messed up many commutes. The last two games not only were roads closed from like morning time, it was raining both days. People were trying to get to the Gardiner and forced to turn left or right on Front. It was an absolute joke watching cars inching forward.

I didn't think that many people were oblivious to the road closures from Jurassic Park but not everyone watches the local news or reads the paper or uses waze on their phones.

Last edited by megadude; Jun 17, 2019 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yea, it's not the Raptors fans who are touchy. It's those who are salty about the success of other teams/leagues over their preferred teams/leagues.
If that was aimed at me, that is totally wrong (as usual). It was a few posters, one in particular, who not only disrespected my team/league but at least two other sports/leagues as well. One that I don't even like. And the 10 year old fangirl meeting Justin Bieber posts were kind of the capper. As for baiting/trolling, I consider it an honour to be responding to the best

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:21 PM

I had an appt. in Hamilton and was set to miss the parade that passes right by my office. I saw on the news the parade was way behind schedule so I hopped on the train at Aldershot and arrived at the Teamway concourse of Union to see Marc Gasol jumping up and down spraying champagne on us in the York underpass.

Got to the office and watched from our meeting room as the buses passed by. Missed out on the crowd noise but excellent view from up there.

At Aldershot station on the access road people parked with two wheels on road two wheels on grass. There's a ditch just off the grass and one pickup truck was perilously leaning over towards the ditch. I was genuinely concerned it was going to topple over when trying to leave.

The lineups for the subways are of course going from platform to stairs to concourse to stairs to street and well beyond. People are waiting it out in the lobby of my building and there's no washrooms down there. So they're asking security but they can't help them. I almost threw on my entrepreneur's hat and charged them $2 each to let them come up with me and use our washroom.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I had an appt. in Hamilton and was set to miss the parade that passes right by my office. I saw on the news the parade was way behind schedule so I hopped on the train at Aldershot and arrived at the Teamway concourse of Union to see Marc Gasol jumping up and down spraying champagne on us in the York underpass.

That's actually really cool!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Marc Gasol is definitely wasted.

Also had a good laugh at how thoroughly Doug Ford was booed when he walked onto the stage.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
If that was aimed at me, that is totally wrong (as usual). It was a few posters, one in particular, who not only disrespected my team/league but at least two other sports/leagues as well. One that I don't even like. And the 10 year old fangirl meeting Justin Bieber posts were kind of the capper. As for baiting/trolling, I consider it an honour to be responding to the best
I actually did wish for the Raptors victory. I mean over the Golden State What-iors? Intuitively I knew they were from California but just learned this month that they play in Oakland, which totally means nothing to me in terms of sports identity-making...

Anyway, it would have been easier for everyone to join the party (though not sure if there was still room on the bandwagon anyway) if we didn't have over the top statements about how this is supposedly the greatest achievement in Canadian sports history, and of course the *history* (both here on SSP and out there in the real world) between Canadians who are pretty much exclusively fans of American-based sports competitions, and those Canadians who have a range of sports interests that extends outside* that prism.

If Toronto (ever?) gets an NFL team, you can expect the exact same type of phenomenon to be at play. For the exact same reasons.

*I say "outside" because no sports fan in Canada pays attention to Canadian sports only. The two cultures aren't split up between "Canadian only" and "US/global". They're split up between "US only and a bit of global" and "Canadian/US/global".

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:17 PM

Hope everybody’s ok.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Hope everybody’s ok.
Just heard that. Shit.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Hope everybody’s ok.
Downtown is insane right now. I've never seen so many people.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Seems like the shooting is "contained". Two women shot but will survive. Suspect(s) arrested.

There were several stabbings today too.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually did wish for the Raptors victory. I mean over the Golden State What-iors? Intuitively I knew they were from California but just learned this month that they play in Oakland, which totally means nothing to me in terms of sports identity-making...

Anyway, it would have been easier for everyone to join the party (though not sure if there was still room on the bandwagon anyway) if we didn't have over the top statements about how this is supposedly the greatest achievement in Canadian sports history, and of course the *history* (both here on SSP and out there in the real world) between Canadians who are pretty much exclusively fans of American-based sports competitions, and those Canadians who have a range of sports interests that extends outside* that prism.

If Toronto (ever?) gets an NFL team, you can expect the exact same type of phenomenon to be at play. For the exact same reasons.

*I say "outside" because no sports fan in Canada pays attention to Canadian sports only. The two cultures aren't split up between "Canadian only" and "US/global". They're split up between "US only and a bit of global" and "Canadian/US/global".
That's better than me. At one point I was trying to find Golden State on the map. Eventually I had to look it up on Google, just to realize it's Cali.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada