HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:28 PM

Are there any construction activities on or along side the ramp? Maybe they'll raise the limit once construction is completed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil’s neighbour View Post
The new ramp can easily accommodate 80 Kmh. It’s a world of a difference from the tight old overpass which was 60 on top of the bridge. They’re being far too cautious.
Been too long since I drove it but from memory the top of the old EB to NB bridge was legally 100 wasn't it? You would have been a fool to attempt anywhere near that though.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:23 PM

You’re right, 100 would have sent you sailing over the edge. But it was 60 on top returning to 80 just before the merge. Living in E. St. Paul we would drive that stretch almost daily, which is why it burns me to see a great new overpass limited by a backroad speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Been too long since I drove it but from memory the top of the old EB to NB bridge was legally 100 wasn't it? You would have been a fool to attempt anywhere near that though.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil’s neighbour View Post
The new ramp can easily accommodate 80 Kmh. It’s a world of a difference from the tight old overpass which was 60 on top of the bridge. They’re being far too cautious.
I drove on that EB to SB segment of 101/59 for the first time a few days ago... it all seems very speed-trappy to me. Going from a 100 limit down to 70 before quickly going back up to 80 again seems needlessly complex. Why on earth wouldn't they just make the ramp 80?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I drove on that EB to SB segment of 101/59 for the first time a few days ago... it all seems very speed-trappy to me. Going from a 100 limit down to 70 before quickly going back up to 80 again seems needlessly complex. Why on earth wouldn't they just make the ramp 80?
Was the old ramp 70 km/h? If that's the case then maybe they haven't gone through the proper bureaucratic steps to adjust the speed limit for the now properly built roadway. My second guess is that they were playing things cautiously to allow time for people to get used to the new interchange (and what lane to be in etc...) before upping the speed

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:16 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Was the old ramp 70 km/h? If that's the case then maybe they haven't gone through the proper bureaucratic steps to adjust the speed limit for the now properly built roadway. My second guess is that they were playing things cautiously to allow time for people to get used to the new interchange (and what lane to be in etc...) before upping the speed
The old exit ramp was 70 km/h going from EB Perimeter to SB Lag, and they sure as hell "over-engineered" the ramps to accommodate higher ramp speeds, when it's currently at 70 km/h.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:36 PM
BANNED

ONLY in winnipeg do we bitch about exit ramp speeds when we just finally 50 years later get the overpass that was needed. LoL

When its alo done in the sprinf as there is still more work to do then bitch. Just be happy its even there.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
ONLY in winnipeg do we bitch about exit ramp speeds when we just finally 50 years later get the overpass that was needed. LoL

When its alo done in the sprinf as there is still more work to do then bitch. Just be happy its even there.
This is a sub forum dedicated to the perimeter highway itself, within a construction/infrastructure forum. The subforum is used to discuss various aspects of perimeter highway, sometimes in excessive detail. Given that there is next to nothing else going on in terms of construction on Perimeter, it's no surprise this has come up.

Anyone checking in on this subforum will likely be somewhat versed on how higways and interchanges are designed and regulated so discussing (and occasionally bitching) about the fairly slow speed on the exit ramp is not surprising as many of us expected higher speed limits on this ramp.

I don't think anyone is bitching that the interchange was built, no one in the right mind would prefer what it used to be. That being said, given that 200 million was dumped on that project, some SSP posters rightfully feel that speed limits should reflect the new design and capacity.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
This is a sub forum dedicated to the perimeter highway itself, within a construction/infrastructure forum. The subforum is used to discuss various aspects of perimeter highway, sometimes in excessive detail. Given that there is next to nothing else going on in terms of construction on Perimeter, it's no surprise this has come up.

Anyone checking in on this subforum will likely be somewhat versed on how higways and interchanges are designed and regulated so discussing (and occasionally bitching) about the fairly slow speed on the exit ramp is not surprising as many of us expected higher speed limits on this ramp.

I don't think anyone is bitching that the interchange was built, no one in the right mind would prefer what it used to be. That being said, given that 200 million was dumped on that project, some SSP posters rightfully feel that speed limits should reflect the new design and capacity.
Being a person who uses this interchange all the time ans drives 50 thousand kms a year on average i think i can be a little bit miffed at people mulling over exit ramps and on ramp speeds.
And like i said they are not even finished , there is still alot of work to do in the spring.

But if going 70kmh on and exit ramp is to much for everyone, they should just avoid it as thats the norm for most of the exit ramps some even slower.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 11:35 PM

This “ramp” is actually a two kilometre stretch of highway from the split to northbound 59, which is hardly a trivial delay. Other cities with properly built out highways like Toronto and Calgary don’t force traffic to a crawl when connecting two high speed routes. This stretch isn’t much different from 101 at McPhillips which is 80. Here, you’ll be holding up traffic at 90. Why the bitching? Speed limits need to be calibrated to the roadway, otherwise they’re a joke. And no, that overpass is done, except for the landscaping.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:57 AM

Drove Portage to St. Anne's today. Looks like temporary barriers and no turn(s) signs up at all median and access closures.

Vet clinic had the median closed but RIRO access open.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:06 PM

I haven't driven said ramp. Maybe they will raise the speed limit once people are familiar with the adjusted layout. If it's permanently lower speed, that's disappointing. It should be 100 connecting the 2 highways together with a ramp like that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I haven't driven said ramp. Maybe they will raise the speed limit once people are familiar with the adjusted layout. If it's permanently lower speed, that's disappointing. It should be 100 connecting the 2 highways together with a ramp like that.
100 kph? Even in Ontario, the flyover ramps have a recommended speed limit of at most 80 kph.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:17 PM

I guess. It's barely a ramp. Like the other poster mentioned, it's a 2 km stretch of roadway. 70 km/h seems pretty low to me.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
100 kph? Even in Ontario, the flyover ramps have a recommended speed limit of at most 80 kph.
Haha, the one on the east end of my town is 30 kph. I chuckled when I first saw it but stopped laughing when I found myself drifting through the turn.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:19 AM

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/public.html

Open houses for the next phase of the South Perimeter Study (presenting designs?) are scheduled for 4:30-7:30 on the following days

Jan 14 at South Winnipeg community centre
Jan 17 at Oak Bluff Rec Club
Jan 22 at Dakota CC

Website says materials will be available online on the 14th for those unable to attend in person.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I can’t wait to see what’s in store.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:02 PM

Phase 2 public engagement slides are posted

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/public.html

Last edited by Hockey; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I really hope that, in the end, the majority agrees on eliminating all the at-grade intersections (including rail crossings). 24 more minutes to go...

Edit: Is it a no-brainer that redesigning the interchange with Portage Avenue needs to be done in conjunction (read: simultaneously) with Headingley Bypass? I can't imagine how backed up that interchange will be if that isn't the case.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I really hope that, in the end, the majority agrees on eliminating all the at-grade intersections (including rail crossings). 24 more minutes to go...

Edit: Is it a no-brainer that redesigning the interchange with Portage Avenue needs to be done in conjunction (read: simultaneously) with Headingley Bypass? I can't imagine how backed up that interchange will be if that isn't the case.
What do you mean?
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan