HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:58 AM

This is curious...

"Sadie Thompson", Thousand Oaks, March 1959.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stunning-1950...item1c590e2c5e

"Sadie Thompson".....is this a 'tongue-in-cheek' reference to W. Somerset Maugham's fallen woman?

Joan Crawford as "Sadie Thompson" in RAIN [c.1932]
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:19 AM

Follies Village Club next door to the Follies Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't remember hearing of this place before.

eBay
__
Wow, historic block that. I think the Follies Village was on the former site of Governor Downey's home, the 1 1/2 story south wing of which may have been the oldest brick house in Los Angeles:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The Roundhouse was next door to the north, gone by the time this photo was taken:

uscdl (a detail of this image was previously posted by FW)

The "Follies Village" was in the Hotel Morgan AKA the Morgan Oyster Company building, next door to the Follies Theater:

1921 baist, plate 2

e_r and gsjansen have taken us by the Belasco/Follies Theater before, but I'm going back because it's a great spot. In just a few years, the theater went from a highbrow legit house (managed by David Belasco's brother Frederic) to the most raucous strip venue on Main St:

cinematreasures (previously posted by e_r)

"The Belaso Theatre opened in [1904] and was briefly renamed Republic Theatre, before being renamed Follies Theatre in 1919. It was remodeled by architect S. Charles Lee in the 1930s. The Follies Theatre was demolished in May 1974." -cinema treasures

Abraham M. Edelman was the architect.

1920s. There's No. 333 on the right (I spy "oyster" signage), but no hint of the Follies Village club:

lapl

Also 1920s. The Morgan Building is on the right. It seems to have a book store and a dentist as tenants. No Follies Village club that I can see:

historic los angeles theaters

1930s. Just before S Charles Lee got his mitts on it (JK):

lapl

This detail from a 1935 insurance map shows the Follies Village club space at No. 333 1/2. It's small and next to the Follies Theater:

downtown los angeles theaters

ca 1940s. The Morgan Building is still in place (just north of the remodeled Follies Theater), but I don't know if the Follies Village club is still in it:

detail from an image previously posted by e_r

A Kodachrome from 1956 showing the back of the Follies Theater ("80 People, Mostly Girls")
and the side of the Barclay/Van Nuys framing the Westminster Hotel across Main. What a block:

huntington dl

Once it housed "The World's Gay Spot...Where Show People Meet", but by 1973 the Morgan building, at No. 333, was gone:

lapl

A great history of the Follies Theater may be found here (apparently scenes from Mae West's "Every Day's A Holiday",1937, were filmed there).

...now, of course, most of this historic block is smothered by the massive State of California building. I'm forever grateful we still have the Barclay/Van Nuys:

gsv

Sorry e_r, I never found the Follies Village (but I had a lot of fun looking for it).

Follies Theater priors, well worth a look (with an emphasis on the Follies Theater's amazing 'bump & grind' history):

e_r:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=967
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=968
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=973
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6661

gsjansen:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=970

PLUS, if you are at all interested in the Follies Theater, do not miss the Historic Los Angeles Theaters page on it. It's constantly updated.

One last look back at the 300 block of Main Street, back in the day.
Two little kids pose in front of the Roundhouse:

islandora

__

UPDATE (e-r found the Follies Village!):

Quote:
1950 __

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 16, 2017 at 7:23 AM. Reason: add links and images

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:24 AM

824 S. Bonnie Brae

824 S. Bonnie Brae, the Charles B. Boothe House, is Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #491. In the
first photo below, it's the one with the semi-onion dome just to the right of center. Los Angeles County
says the home was built in 1893 and its carriage house in 1914, although the latter may be a remodel date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

LAPL
The 800 block of South Bonnie Brae "then"...

and now:
Google Street View

Not apparent in the modern street scene is the semi-onion-domed house next door to the Mooerses (somewhat reminiscent of the Santa Fe station downtown):

Daniel Soderberg
This photo is undated but looks to be c. 1970s:

http://cityplanning.lacity.org/compl...0Residence.pdf

From the September 10, 1898, The Capital:

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...q=183;size=175

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:57 AM

Quote:

below: The vintage photograph was taken at Frank Fortier's "Gaslights".

eBay

I'm not sure where in Hollywood this nightclub was located.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a date stamp or any handwritten information.
Quote:

If only the back of the "Gaslights" folder had included the names of the people in the photograph. - or even a date.
I found this clipping in the January 29, 1948 edition of the 'Forest Park Review' from Forest Park, Illinois. The former Forest Park residents were taking part as an olio act in "the popular show Gaslights". I've had trouble locating the "famed Daly Opera House", but the article does mention "noted Hollywoodian" Frank Fortier.

www.newspapers.com

It may be unrelated, but, according to the City Directories, there was someone called F A Fortier living at 1606 S Genesee Avenue during the first half of the 1960s.

ETA:

I finally found a reference to the Daly Opera House and "Gas Lights" in a book called 'Los Angeles: A Guide to the City and its Environs' which I found here (it's a 576 page PDF file). First published in 1941, this is from the 1951 second edition. It lists the Daly Opera House at La Brea Avenue and Beverly Boulevard.

krishikosh.egranth.ac.in (28.2Mb PDF file)

Last edited by HossC; Sep 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Added Daly Opera House information.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I just came across this slide on eBay.

It shows the Walgrove Apartments (left), the Monarch Hotel/Apartments (right)....and numerous other interesting details. (like Los Angeles City Hall in the distance)

[c. 1963]

eBay
__
The Monarch was at the NW corner of 5th and Figueroa. The Walgrove was at 427 S. Figueroa.
The photo seems to have been taken from on top of the 5th Street bridge over the Harbor Freeway.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It says "Bijou Studio". I found it listed in four of the City Directories from 1894 to 1911. The 1894 CD (below) lists the proprietors as Chester W Burdick and Andrew F Swisher, and the address as 221-223 South Spring Street. By 1898, Mr Swisher's name is missing, and the address is listed 221½ South Spring Street. The address stays the same after that.

LAPL
I hope the weather was cool when this picture was taken. They make me sweat just looking at them all bundled like that in Los Angeles. They were, of course, what my grandmother would have called "little ladies", who always covered everything and wore gloves and hats everywhere.....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Taffy's looks like it might have been an art gallery (?):

detail of image previously posted by HC

Good Mid-Century Modern building with an interesting tri-color paint job. I'd love to see a color shot of Taffy's.

News footage taken at this corner last July is here

__
Taffy's was a Studio City dress shop. It was called "Taffy's of California" and had its own label. It was apparently one of a chain of seven stores according to a newspaper article in the Valley News from August of 1961. There was also apparently one in the Ambassador Hotel. This particular store was located at 12199 Ventura Blvd. The building is still there but the façade has been altered with more angles. The store is now a Lululemon Athletica which sells mostly exercise clothes. The current building has some cool mosaic tile surrounding the doorway. ( see the Mercury Mosaics website) The Glendale Federal building next door is now a CitiBank

Last edited by oldstuff; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:38 PM

Thanks for the info on Taffy's, oldstuff. This advert for Taffy's Dress Shops also appeared in the Valley News in August 1961.

www.newspapers.com

Here's a view of the current angular building at 12199 Ventura Boulevard, and the CitiBank next door. I nearly posted a picture of 12199 with the Shulman pictures, but didn't realize that it was the old Taffy's building reworked.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:50 PM

Good sleuthing oldstuff and hossC.

detail /

-so I take it that's the Taffy's entrance on the left. -hmmmm...there might be another entrance on the right end of the bldg.

OR.....is the store entrance solely on the right (see below).... and what we're seeing on the left is an entryway leading to & from a parking lot in the back?

(vintage aerial please )

Either way, it's a fine looking design.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:28 PM

Mr. Boothe's Carriage House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
824 S. Bonnie Brae, the Charles B. Boothe House, is Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #491...Los Angeles County says the home was built in 1893 and its carriage house in 1914, although the latter may be a remodel date.

From the September 10, 1898, The Capital:

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...q=183;size=175
I am very fond of that carriage house. It's larger than some houses I've lived in. The current arrangement looks to be about the same as in the 1898 photo above.

gsv

Quote:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:34 PM

Missing Pix

I seem to have a problem.

Two members have told me that my recently posted pix are not showing up on the thread. Another noirisher says he can see everything.

Google automatically updated on 9/9. Since then my Picasa3 pix are presented differently on Google Photos and now have very long links. As I can see everything my end, I don't know how to fix the problem.

Does anyone else use Picasa3 or know what to do to solve this?

Thx

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I seem to have a problem.

Two members have told me that my recently posted pix are not showing up on the thread. Another noirisher says he can see everything.

Google automatically updated on 9/9. Since then my Picasa3 pix are presented differently on Google Photos and now have very long links. As I can see everything my end, I don't know how to fix the problem.

Does anyone else use Picasa3 or know what to do to solve this?

Thx
.All of your pix are appearing on my google chrome screen, Win 7. The problem may be with their browser and/or operating system.

Many mysteries in cyberspace

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:26 PM

I normally use Firefox on Windows 7, and I can only see t2's recent images when I'm logged into my Google (gmail) account in another tab. I've just checked, and I get the same results in Chrome, IE 11 and Opera, so I don't think it's the browser. My guess would be that some sort of privacy/visibility setting got screwed up by the update.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:33 PM

The stores with "Sunset" in their name would've helped to find this location if I hadn't recognized it already. Julius Shulman's "Job 1050: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951" shows the bank at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Echo Park Avenue. On the hill behind the bank are the 1926 Laguna Apartments.

The large "FOOD" blade sign on the left belonged to the Pioneer Super Market, which we covered recently - see e_r's post #30181. The Citizen's Bank was missing from the best of e_r's pictures, and also eluded me when I did my round-up of branches last year. I've now added a close-up to the relevant post. On the right is Henry's Men's Wear with an impressive roof sign. On the far right, I had to rely on the 1956 CD to find the name Gladys' Pet Shop at 1606 Sunset Boulevard.

Of course, Henry's roof sign wasn't as impressive as the extant roof sign on Jensen's Recreation Center which can be seen in the distance in this shot. You can read more about that in post #25091. I love the electricity bolts on the sign for Ozzie's Television store.

All from Getty Research Institute

We have another survivor that's still a Bank of America. The detailing either side of the old English text in the Shulman pictures is not hidden by the new signage - it's missing in the 2007 GSV image. Apart from that, it looks fairly original.

GSV

The Laguna Apartments building is also still standing, although nowadays it just seems to be known as 1109 Laguna Avenue.

GSV

Anyone who clicked the link to e_r's post about the Pioneer Super Market will have read "It's really too bad the Pioneer Market was torn down. The other 3 corners (of Echo Park Ave. and Sunset Blvd.) are still anchored by vintage buildings.", so it comes as no surprise that the old Henry's Men's Wear building is still there. I had a look around the other side hoping to see a ghost sign, but without luck.

GSV

What did surprise me is that the house behind the bank on Echo Park Avenue is relatively unchanged from the 1951 image. That's the former Laguna Apartments up the alley behind it.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:59 PM

Asking a favor

Quote:
It shows the Walgrove Apartments (left), the Monarch Hotel/Apartments (right)....and numerous other interesting details. (like Los Angeles City Hall in the distance)

[c. 1963]

eBay
__
It would be great to see that lush western part of Bunker Hill without these transparent words. May I ask one of the noirishers who knows to erase that ?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:19 PM

Switching Sides

Quote:

What did surprise me is that the house behind the bank on Echo Park Avenue is relatively unchanged from the 1951 image. That's the former Laguna Apartments up the alley behind it.

GSV
As very minor aside, there's a permit which says the home at 1150 Echo Park Ave (built in 1905 per Zillow) was moved in 1928 from 1141 (across the street) to make way for an apartment building:

ladbs

Sure enough, the apartment building at 1141 Echo Park Ave was built in 1928.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thx CBD & HossC for the replies re the missing pix. I'll ask one of my kids what to do about it. They know everything.

__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
216 Alameda, now the very trendy Angel City Brewery, was built in 1924 as the John A. Roebling's Sons Company of California wireworks warehouse. (However, Esotouric gives 1913 as the build date. I haven't sorted that out yet.)

Hudson and Munsell
were the architects.

The company (famous bridge builders) name is on the beer garden side (back) of the building, facing Traction Ave:

la weekly <--- info about the mural at the link.

I cannot make out what it says over the front door:

google maps photos

GW took us here before as did Horthos

There are masses of pix and articles re the Angel City Brewery building online. It's one of the stalwarts of the Arts District.

Esotouric has a good article on the custom Batchelder tile inside the building. Don't miss it
(Much as I love the tile, it's the spun-wire, bridge-cable stair railing that knocked me out. Many more photos at Esotouric's flickr page)

A distinction with a difference? The name seems to vascillate between JAR's Sons to JAR and Sons. I guess it is a common mistake.

The 1906 CD lists the business at 326 East Market Street, which would have been somewhere between Spring and Temple. It is unclear from cursory research when JAR's Sons moved to the 216 S Alameda location. The 1914 CD advertises JAR's Sons at the southeast corner of Alameda Street and Stephenson Avenue and 216 S. Alameda. Permits for alterations/repairs/additions were obtained in '22. But there are also new construction permits for a warehouse at the same location in 1924. Whether there are any remnants from the first structure incorporated withing the new '24 structure is unknown.

One wonders whether the "Roebling" Avenue name in Westwood has any direct connection with either the business or JAR?

In 1906, some of the "wire rope" competition included: RH Herron & Co 212 N Los Angeles St., Pacific Steel and Wire, (210 S Los Angeles St.) 22 Laughlin Bldg., and American; American Steel and Wire, 160 Central Ave. It is unclear how much, if any, iron and steel product originated in or around LA at that time. The 1875 CD lists but one "Los Angeles Foundry" at the corner of Aliso and Garcia. Some of its advertising depicts engines and boilers suggesting it was a bigger operation than mere blacksmithing. Equally unclear whether there were similar businesses that escaped listing or were listed as Blacksmiths or some other name associated with metal working. By 1883, there were three iron foundries listed. The Los Angeles Foundry seems to have been renamed the Los Angeles Pioneer Iron Foundry. Same Aliso and Garcia address - i.e., 368/370/372 Aliso Street. There is also a Baker Foundry at the corner of Main and Second Street and Bath and Fosmir on Main near Second Street.

This begets the question of who or what business can claim the honor of first commercial mass steel production in LA or the LA viscinity? Well before the introduction of automobiles, railroads, shipbuilders, commercial construction and assorted manufacturing plants all used iron and later steel. FWIW, the Bradbury building's iron and steel were reportedly imported from France and/or other parts of Europe.http://www.publicartinla.com/Downtow...brad_hist.html

Source dates this DTLA image as pre-1900. Note toward the center-left is a roof marked "Brass Foundry."
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics23/00031430.jpg

The former Mann & Johnson Brass Foundry, 1009-13 South Main Street?)
Quote:
Here's the picture mentioned by Chuckaluck:

While reading through the PDF file about the VMRR, I noticed that "Three locomotives were ordered from the Johnson Foundry & Machine Works at 1119 North Main."

Johnson Foundry and Machine Works at 1009 South Main. Circa '24
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjgwWDEwMj...jD!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited by Tourmaline; Sep 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:

I normally use Firefox on Windows 7, and I can only see t2's recent images when I'm logged into my Google (gmail) account in another tab. I've just checked, and I get the same results in Chrome, IE 11 and Opera, so I don't think it's the browser. My guess would be that some sort of privacy/visibility setting got screwed up by the update.
I already contacted t2. I use Google and I can't see any of her photographs since around 9/9.
I tried Google Chrome, and that didn't work either. (instead of Xs in a black box I get symbols)
__

* I just noticed:
I CAN see the permit t2 just posted.
I'm not sure why I can see that and not the photographs.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2015 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:29 PM

Everything displays fine in Safari, both iMac and iPad.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 10:05 PM

There are all kinds of interesting things to see in this Key entertainment brochure (1950s).

Key #1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-Dining-E...item2a568fa5c2

Key #2

ebay

Key #3

ebay

Key #4

ebay

Key #5

ebay

Key #6

ebay

Wow, look how tall the Hotel Hayward is in that illustration!

Key #7

ebay

Key #8

ebay

Key #9

ebay

Key #10

ebay

it's quite interesting to read through that list of entertainers. (there are quite a few that I've never heard of)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos