HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 11:14 PM

This building looks better the farther away you are. Standing in front of it, the sidewalk view and street level elevations are actually shockingly shabby looking.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 9:28 PM

Since there are many photos of this taken far away I won't bother posting the ones I have here. Instead I'll post them in the Tour Thread and I'll post these two from June Street I snapped today;

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 9:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is there any particular reason for the recessed doorways? They've done that for a few other projects as well.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Is there any particular reason for the recessed doorways? They've done that for a few other projects as well.
Shelter from the elements while you're unlocking/locking the door I suppose. My house lacks that feature and I wish it didn't.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 1:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Shelter from the elements while you're unlocking/locking the door I suppose. My house lacks that feature and I wish it didn't.
That is a good thing, but there are alternatives: porches or those little glassed in entry rooms that you see on older buildings. I guess they are more expensive to add, but they don't sacrifice interior space.

Part of what I'm wondering is whether or not there are new (70s or later) planning regulations (e.g. setback requirements) somehow responsible for this design.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 7:14 PM

Quote:
This might help explain that. Apparently the stairs are on the HRM right-of-way so I imagine they had to recess the doorways to intrude less.

10.1.2 Proposed Administrative Order SC-56, Respecting Closure of a Portion of Princess Place, Halifax (465 Kb)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 10:06 PM

Ummmm, I read an add in some paper that said this piece of SH*T is only 62% sold.... that doesn't bold well for the condo market in HRM.....even thought this is a major piece of crap

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:06 AM
Closed account

Yeah there's been 30 or so units listed on mls.ca for quite a while now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 5:19 PM
Closed account

This place still has at least 18 condos, 5 June st. townhouses and 4 (of 5) Princess pl. townhouses for sale.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:03 PM

The June St. townhomes seem pricey -- $380K + $400 a month in fees. Rooms are small, the street has not yet been fully "gentrified", and I think they are a hard sell.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 7:37 PM
Closed account

Well based on my rough count there are 7 Townhouses on June St and 5 on Princess, meaning they've only offloaded 1/4 of the total.

Seems like they're all a tough sell.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 12:27 PM

Went through one of the units on Princess Pl last night and was not impressed with the quality of the interior finish. With an asking price close to 500K, it was a real let down.

G

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 3:47 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanupnorth View Post
Went through one of the units on Princess Pl last night and was not impressed with the quality of the interior finish. With an asking price close to 500K, it was a real let down.

G
Your totally paying for location, not quality. the price tag comes from the fact that its right on the commons.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 4:02 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Your totally paying for location, not quality. the price tag comes from the fact that its right on the commons.
This is where developers sell out. Counting on location to bail out cheap construction. Quality design/construction will bring a higher selling price but most developers want in and out fast so quality gets ditched it the process.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 6:12 PM

I agree...location, location, location.......but the interior finish quality was what I would expect in properties priced below 200k not 400+. My wife and I both said we would likely want to spend an additional 50K just to get the finish work up to acceptable standards and finish the basement.

Also, the floor plans and room sizes were note great either. At least I know why only one townhouse house has been sold since early 2009. So all in all, very disappointed and the search continues.

Gordon

P.S. - They are still only 65% sold according to the agent.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 8:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's nice to be by the Commons but it's a stretch to call it a premium location. It's not as nice as downtown, the South End, or even Quinpool Rd area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 4:08 AM

Quote:
It's nice to be by the Commons but it's a stretch to call it a premium location. It's not as nice as downtown, the South End, or even Quinpool Rd area.
I'd call it a Inner City location - not central core, but in the inner city neighbourhoods around it. Here in Calgary, it's many of these neighbourhoods where the most valuable condos and houses are located.

Bridgeland for example and Victoria Park have some of the most expensive condos I've seen in Calgary!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:34 AM

Does anyone have any info/photos to share of what stood on this site prior to Armoury Square? Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkerofpain View Post
Does anyone have any info/photos to share of what stood on this site prior to Armoury Square? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

Here is a 2003 aerial photo from Google Earth:

The building to the rear (2372 June Street) housed Maritime Canvas Converters. I recall it was a low industrial building and there was a big sign with the name and logo of the company facing Cunard Street.

The building in front (5837 Cunard Street) housed a branch of the Legion. My memory is hazy but I think it was a modern-looking (1970s?) brick building.

Both are mentioned in this 2004 HRM document.

Last edited by alps; Nov 26, 2020 at 10:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:11 PM

Man, it’s funny looking back on the discussion in this thread. What a difference 10 years makes, eh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth