HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I've always heard people say that the slopes are too steep for big rigs.
They're doable. There's plenty of grades on major highways around the world.

Truckers hate them, certainly, as it absolutely wrecks their travel speeds and fuel economy. However, the road is not beyond capabilities of a modern tractor-trailer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
I've always heard people say that the slopes are too steep for big rigs.
It's much more hilly compared to Hwy 11. But there are other highways in other parts of Canada that have steeper slopes and more turns. For major routes, Route 138 in Quebec comes East of Quebec City comes to mind. Or in much of Newfoundland. And of course BC and Alberta have a lot.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ah okay okay.

=========
I was watching a documentary on nuclear waste last night. Canada’s looking to bury its, either in northern Ontario or somewhere along Huron Shore.

For northern Ontario, initially Ignace, Hornepayne and another town (I actually forgot what it was) were looked into, but Ignace was eliminated as an option because there are too many small lakes nearby. So now there are only 4 options left.

Anyway, has anyone heard of what I’m talking about?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 3:59 PM
I am a typical

Highway 102 is even more hilly than Highway 17, and it's lined with houses, and the trucking industry is losing its shit over potentially not being able to use it. I don't think slopes are that big a deal to them.

As for nuclear waste, the little shitholes like Hornepayne and Manitouwadge are all vying for it because it will literally be the only stable employment in town. The nearby reserves are all fighting against it, but in the end their opinion will be taken as seriously as it always is in our country.

Nuclear waste has to go somewhere if we're not going to reprocess it into more nuclear fuel.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:42 PM

Northeast Midstream is using trucks to transfer LNG because its not economically feasible to build a pipeline across the north shore of Superior to supply the relatively small number of customers in the area. Truck is also the easiest means to get the product directly to where the customer needs it, without having to introduce another transfer point. Truck drivers are, despite popular opinion, still the safest drivers on the road, especially when you consider the number of miles they log annually. More often than not, with the exception of the bad apples one will find in every industry, its the four-wheelers that cause the majority of incidents and lack awareness.

Its also worth noting that Ontario has quietly re-constructed and improved many of the blind/sharp/dangerous corners and introduced new climbing lanes on the Trans-Canada through Northern Ontario over the past decade and a half. This isn't to say that the TCH through Northern Ontario is no longer cow trail, but instead that its a straighter cow trail with better visibility of whats coming at you and a few extra lanes for trucks to get over the hills.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Northeast Midstream is using trucks to transfer LNG because its not economically feasible to build a pipeline across the north shore of Superior to supply the relatively small number of customers in the area. Truck is also the easiest means to get the product directly to where the customer needs it, without having to introduce another transfer point. Truck drivers are, despite popular opinion, still the safest drivers on the road, especially when you consider the number of miles they log annually. More often than not, with the exception of the bad apples one will find in every industry, its the four-wheelers that cause the majority of incidents and lack awareness.

Its also worth noting that Ontario has quietly re-constructed and improved many of the blind/sharp/dangerous corners and introduced new climbing lanes on the Trans-Canada through Northern Ontario over the past decade and a half. This isn't to say that the TCH through Northern Ontario is no longer cow trail, but instead that its a straighter cow trail with better visibility of whats coming at you and a few extra lanes for trucks to get over the hills.
I would argue rail is safer. Especially since those towns are on CP mainline.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Significant Transit Service Adjustment Proposed (T Bay)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I would argue rail is safer. Especially since those towns are on CP mainline.
For sure rail is safer. However, its not going to be feasible for this development as the LNG plant is being built about 20 km north of Nipigon, away from the CP mainline.

=========

I hear lots of complaints about the bus system in Thunder Bay, and how cumbersome and time consuming it can be if you have to travel anywhere near the peripheries of the city. Its going to be a challenge for transit, we don't have the density needed in most of the city.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:37 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
For sure rail is safer. However, its not going to be feasible for this development as the LNG plant is being built about 20 km north of Nipigon, away from the CP mainline.
Not every community has a siding, either. For people further away, you'll still need trucks to move it to the end users.

Quote:
Quote:
I hear lots of complaints about the bus system in Thunder Bay, and how cumbersome and time consuming it can be if you have to travel anywhere near the peripheries of the city. Its going to be a challenge for transit, we don't have the density needed in most of the city.
I was discussing this with a friend the other day, he grew up here but now works for Grand River Transit. He said the current plan is not only poorly conceived, it could be potentially unworkable. There is clearly an error in the math, somewhere.

Here is a frequency map of the routes. The thick pink lines are 15 minute frequency, the medium light blue lines are 30 minute frequency, and the thin dark blue lines are 60 minute frequency, during the full service day:

Fort William gets totally fucked over by this plan, and no one seems to understand why. The Mainline has been split up into several routes, so a trip to Port Arthur for me is now going to involve 3 different buses. Links between downtown Fort William and the college are now gone, connections between Northwood and Downtown Fort William are gone, service to Balmoral Park is gone, service along Fort William Road is gone.

It's an absolutely horrible plan. You can tell they didn't use any outside consultants to come up with this. The Mainline between Intercity Mall and Downtown Port Arthur is often quite busy, and they've eliminated it entirely while maintaining the same frequency on the Memorial route, which is already at its capacity, meaning that we will have buses on that route turning people away due to overcrowding, at least until people abandon transit, like I did after they fucked with evening route frequency and transfer timing in 2013 making the system nearly unusable after 6pm.

A big part of the problem is that most new transit riders are university students, but they're all accessing the system with their U-Pass, which doesn't bring in enough revenue to actually cover the cost, so non-student parts of town are being sacrificed to serve them. It's shifting from an Intercity Shopping Centre customer delivery service to a Lakehead University student shuttle service.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:52 PM

THUNDER BAY

The province has decided to allow the Nextbridge proposal for the east-west tie line between Thunder Bay and Wawa to go ahead. The government wrote an order indicating Nextbridge be the successful proponent (over Hydro One) after years of foot-dragging by the Ontario Energy Board. Hydro One tried to get into the running in 2018 to build the line, which further complicated an already slow process. Its likely construction will begin in 2019, all other things equal, and will cost roughly $700 million.

This project will also require substantial upgrades to the Lakehead and Wawa Transmission Stations on either end of the new line. I've heard these upgrades will be major projects in themselves.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:31 PM

THUNDER BAY

Local media is reporting that the Royal Edward Arms building has been sold to a Toronto businessman. The new owner is intending on re-opening the banquet facility and restaurant, while also expanding parking. No word yet whether or not the units in the building will be upgraded. The new owner is also looking for help from the city addressing some of the issues in the area.

Tenants of the former Eaton's store in downtown Port Arthur are moving out currently. The building was sold to a new owner, rumoured to be U-Haul. Most/all of the tenants in the building have been asked to leave by the new owner.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:13 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
THUNDER BAY

Local media is reporting that the Royal Edward Arms building has been sold to a Toronto businessman. The new owner is intending on re-opening the banquet facility and restaurant, while also expanding parking. No word yet whether or not the units in the building will be upgraded. The new owner is also looking for help from the city addressing some of the issues in the area.
Forgive me, but:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Forgive me, but:
I'm just stating what was in the media. Personally, I share in your level of skepticism. I've heard and seen this song and dance before from the previous owner who's pie in the sky vision for the building back in 2015 never came to fruit-ition (pardon the pun).

Here's to hoping for something better though, and that the guy will prove us wrong...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

SSM Needs People, Eyeing GM Workers in Oshawa

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...g-gm-employees

This was from 4 days ago. Details seemed vague though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
https://canada.constructconnect.com/...g-gm-employees

This was from 4 days ago. Details seemed vague though.
Its an issue that is becoming commonplace in every community in Northern Ontario. Perhaps the community suffering the most at the moment is Sioux Lookout, there is apparently hundreds of jobs that cannot be filled in a community of only 7000 people. Imagine what filling all those positions could do for the economy of that town!

Its absolutely asinine how the immigration system continues to operate in this country. Its even more ridiculous the federal government thinks they need a pilot project to try encouraging immigration to small-city and rural Canada, instead of just instating a permanent program.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Its an issue that is becoming commonplace in every community in Northern Ontario. Perhaps the community suffering the most at the moment is Sioux Lookout, there is apparently hundreds of jobs that cannot be filled in a community of only 7000 people. Imagine what filling all those positions could do for the economy of that town!

Its absolutely asinine how the immigration system continues to operate in this country. Its even more ridiculous the federal government thinks they need a pilot project to try encouraging immigration to small-city and rural Canada, instead of just instating a permanent program.
I have always thought that immigrants can only come if for 10 years, they agree to go where the government needs them. However, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms forbids that.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:45 AM
I am a typical

They don't want to live here, the locals are too racist. A lot of them try it, hate it, and then leave.

Natives have the same problem except they don't have a country to go home to because we're occupying it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
They don't want to live here, the locals are too racist. A lot of them try it, hate it, and then leave.

Natives have the same problem except they don't have a country to go home to because we're occupying it.
Very true.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:

I'm going to have to refute this statement to an extent, I believe IGNORANCE is more than issue than racism, in addition to the fear of the unknown. There is a difference between these and outright racism. Thunder Bay, like most Northern Ontario communities, has existed as a predominantly European community for the majority of its history. If you take a look at European countries, you'll see them same things going on there.

I'm not saying there aren't racists here, because they exist in every community, but I think the majority or people with an issue with immigrants simply lack proper information and have been brain-washed to fear by a variety of sources.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...-shoal-lake-40

A GoFundMe website has been set up for Shoal Lake 40’s water treatment. Does anyone care enough to verify its authenticity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario