HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkerofpain View Post
Does anyone have any info/photos to share of what stood on this site prior to Armoury Square? Thanks.
If you want to go a little further back, there are some shots on the Halifax Municipal Archives site that show vaguely what was there in the 1960s during construction on the commons:

Here's an aerial from 1960:

The above photos were all found using the search word "commons".

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Nov 27, 2020 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Here's an aerial from 1960:

The above photos were all found using the search word "commons".
That photo is interesting. It shows the then-new CBC building and the old vocational school, but I wonder what the "double-L"- shaped building in the lower left corner of the photo might be?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That photo is interesting. It shows the then-new CBC building and the old vocational school, but I wonder what the "double-L"- shaped building in the lower left corner of the photo might be?
I'm going to guess that it's part of the Camp Hill complex. Here is the info from the archives site for that photo:

Quote:
Item consists of an aerial photograph that depicts both the North and Central Halifax Commons. The view looks north-west with the intersection of Bell Rd. and Trollope St. in the centre of the foreground and Cunard and Robie in the distance. Notable sites that are discernable in the photograph: the Bell Road campus of the Nova Scotia Community College, the CBC building, Camp Hill Hospital, Queen Elizabeth High School, the Egg Pond, and the Armouries. AAS negative number 1504.
Here's another pic from the Halifax Municipal Archives site that may be showing the actual building but I'm unclear of the exact location, though the text says it is viewed from Robie Street. The building style is similar, at least.

Quote:
Item consists of an image of the Camp Hill hospital parking lot as viewed from [Robie St.]

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm also curious on the small building between the CBC building and the L-shaped building.

Is that somebody's house? If so, it sure looks like a strange location for a residential dwelling.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm also curious on the small building between the CBC building and the L-shaped building.

Is that somebody's house? If so, it sure looks like a strange location for a residential dwelling.
It surely does look like someone's house, doesn't it?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth