HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:29 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | The Luminary (14th & Guadalupe) | 415 FEET | 35 FLOORS | PROPOSED

The site plan was posted today to the AULCC page for the high rise at 14th & Guadalupe. The address is 400 West 14th Street.

The height is 427 feet 10 inches with 31 floors. It's office and retail (plus parking).

This will be the first 400 foot building in downtown north of the Capitol.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...20Highrise.pdf

Map
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...28!4d-97.74358

From Stratford Drive along Zilker Park.

From 15th Street looking east "before and after".

360 Overlook

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Nov 28, 2019 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:01 AM
Resident Moron

That's a tall building that far north.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:08 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Backdrop to House Park gets a little bit better.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:21 AM

Good looking design, great height for the location, and not a terrible parking ratio. I like the slightly offset corner on the southeast.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:26 AM

I’m really happy about this, no matter the design. This cracks the seal on the next height tier outside of downtown, and if it gets approved will essentially be proof of development concept. I’d expect a little boomlet or similar stuff to follow in short order.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:02 AM

This was a pleasant surprise. I've been checking the site plan application for a few weeks because it looked like it had potential. But the site plan still has not gone into review, so it doesn't have any details.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=94840

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:48 PM

this will be massively successful and I hope will spur a slew of others.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:09 PM

Yes! It's about time we get some significant height in this part of downtown. And yes I do consider this area to be part of downtown! Hopefully it will feel more like a continuation of downtown with some better activated streets and building height in the near future. I think brackenridge redevelopment will really help to kick things off too.

Once WC zoning is updated to allow 300 footers, the skyline view from the west is gonna look massive.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 2:23 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Yes! It's about time we get some significant height in this part of downtown. And yes I do consider this area to be part of downtown! Hopefully it will feel more like a continuation of downtown with some better activated streets and building height in the near future. I think brackenridge redevelopment will really help to kick things off too.

Once WC zoning is updated to allow 300 footers, the skyline view from the west is gonna look massive.
In the draft new land use code (hopefully replacing our 35 yo code soon...) much of the area in downtown that has been capped in height is allowed to behave more like the downtown properties they are. It's imperative that we get it over the finish line. It will be really good for housing, transit and urbanism.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:08 AM

Wow, interesting. I will have a great view of this building when/if it goes up. In fact, it will dominate my view. Goodbye "Moody Bank"!

Btw, I've been reading this site for a while, but this project inspired me to make an account. But I have a question. I've seen the Capitol Terrace (at 13th and Guad) included on other future skyline pics but haven't been able to find a thread or info on that project, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:26 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th_and_Guad View Post
Wow, interesting. I will have a great view of this building when/if it goes up. In fact, it will dominate my view. Goodbye "Moody Bank"!

Btw, I've been reading this site for a while, but this project inspired me to make an account. But I have a question. I've seen the Capitol Terrace (at 13th and Guad) included on other future skyline pics but haven't been able to find a thread or info on that project, can anyone point me in the right direction?
It's a project that has been rumored for at least 10 years.

There is a thread on it, here:
https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=174356

These are the only renderings I've seen of it. The height I remember seeing for it was 163 feet with 12 floors.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
15 years ago this would have been the tallest in Austin. Now, it is just the tallest in its own subsection of the skyline, a subsection which is the smallest of the downtown skyscraper nodes (beneath even West Campus and the Domain). Frankly, it is also a testament to Austin’s urban growth that I can speak in terms of different nodes of skyscrapers in downtown now, whereas 15 years ago our skyline was like a homeless meth-addict’s gum line.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
15 years ago this would have been the tallest in Austin. Now, it is just the tallest in its own subsection of the skyline, a subsection which is the smallest of the downtown skyscraper nodes (beneath even West Campus and the Domain). Frankly, it is also a testament to Austin’s urban growth that I can speak in terms of different nodes of skyscrapers in downtown now, whereas 15 years ago our skyline was like a homeless meth-addict’s gum line.
Well said.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:33 AM

The formal site plan filing was added to the site plan application. It's going to be mostly residential with a relatively small office component similar to the Quincy. It has ~73K Sq. Ft. office with 275 residential units in ~218K Sq. Ft.

From the site plan:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The formal site plan filing was added to the site plan application. It's going to be mostly residential with a relatively small office component similar to the Quincy. It has ~73K Sq. Ft. office with 275 residential units in ~218K Sq. Ft.

From the site plan:
Interesting that it's supposed to be mostly residential when the elevations appear to show almost no balconies.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 10:30 PM

The historical house on the site will be incorporated into the project. The office building will be demo-ed. From the ABJ...

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Is 275 units in a building this size considered dense? How does the footprint to population payoff compare to the larger 4-5 story apartments that are more common outside of downtown? Is the space less efficiently used to cater to the fact that downtown is a luxury market?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Is 275 units in a building this size considered dense? How does the footprint to population payoff compare to the larger 4-5 story apartments that are more common outside of downtown? Is the space less efficiently used to cater to the fact that downtown is a luxury market?
I would consider the building dense population wise - especially since some of the 31 floors will be office. Considering the site has zero people living on it now and will have ~500 after completion, I'll say that it is a huge improvement in adding density to downtown.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
About 500 people on a lot that holds 2 single family homes. Yeah. It’s dense.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:05 PM

Crane went up over the weekend!

In the center of the photo, just south of Moody Bank.

*** EDIT ***

So, this looks like it may be closer to 12th and San Antonio. Looking into what project this may be...

Last edited by clayton_rogue; Nov 25, 2019 at 6:56 PM. Reason: This may not be 14th...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin