HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Not a very productive post...

To start with the developer took a huge leap of faith in being able to deal with a very difficult planning department. He retained a very progressive architectural firm to deal with very challenging problems and constraints.

The idea to lift the residential component into the air on steel does in fact open the historic facade to waterfront and the river. It allows the residential units a great view of the area. The idea of using 2x10 side by side for floor and ceiling while an old idea is progressive in this application. All involved in this project are taking huge financial and emotional risks in making it happen and I for one applaud the solution and the individuals involved.

When one has skin in the game they get to call the shots. While forums such as this allow for a wide range of views and opinions, it’s productive for dissenting voices to try and use a more eloquent approach to conveying their view.

I would suggest if you walked the site and area with a more open minded approach your opinion may be tempered somewhat.

You do not project yourself as an architectural critic regardless of your view while using that type of language to describe your position.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benifit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just scream in the shower.
I wouldn't say that this is exactly a very productive post either......

Why should his opinion of whether he likes the aesthetics of this project take into account the "skin in the game" that some people may have? That makes no sense.

And "projecting as an architectural critic".....give me a break man. That is what the whole point of this forum is. For people to voice their opinions projects, whether they be good or bad. Who are you to judge the validity of someones criticism just because it may not measure up to your held standards of what is valid criticism.

I have walked the site. The bottom line is the project sucks. It's an aesthetic nightmare in terms of its relation to the structure it is imposing itself upon. The space that has been created below the elevated structure feels unwelcoming and somewhere to avoid at night. The floors and floors of stairs exposed to the elements. The whole thing just looks cheap in contrast to the beautiful pump house.

This is another 5468796 project that takes nothing into consideration aside from how "avant garde" and "out there" they can design something without giving any consideration to the overall functionality of the building or those who will ultimately inhabit it.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project based upon your response to some outside criticism...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benefit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just screaming in the shower. Or holding hands with Sasa while you try and educate us all as to how we should critique architecture.

Side Note - Architecture is inherently a form of art. All art is subjective and open to interpretation by the viewer in order to invoke whatever feelings or emotions it may within them. Sadly this piece of art is not invoking very many good feelings among people on here. Oh well.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

I like the old vs new ideas they been playing with in the pump house project so far seems allot more care and planing of a owner in it for the long haul aka generations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Just a nitpick - but those x-braces are kinda rinky-dinky looking, especially if they are getting left exposed.

Some chunkier steel would have gone a long way visually there.
Ha ha. You didn’t just say that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
I wouldn't say that this is exactly a very productive post either......

Why should his opinion of whether he likes the aesthetics of this project take into account the "skin in the game" that some people may have? That makes no sense.

And "projecting as an architectural critic".....give me a break man. That is what the whole point of this forum is. For people to voice their opinions projects, whether they be good or bad. Who are you to judge the validity of someones criticism just because it may not measure up to your held standards of what is valid criticism.

I have walked the site. The bottom line is the project sucks. It's an aesthetic nightmare in terms of its relation to the structure it is imposing itself upon. The space that has been created below the elevated structure feels unwelcoming and somewhere to avoid at night. The floors and floors of stairs exposed to the elements. The whole thing just looks cheap in contrast to the beautiful pump house.

This is another 5468796 project that takes nothing into consideration aside from how "avant garde" and "out there" they can design something without giving any consideration to the overall functionality of the building or those who will ultimately inhabit it.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project based upon your response to some outside criticism...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benefit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just screaming in the shower. Or holding hands with Sasa while you try and educate us all as to how we should critique architecture.

Side Note - Architecture is inherently a form of art. All art is subjective and open to interpretation by the viewer in order to invoke whatever feelings or emotions it may within them. Sadly this piece of art is not invoking very many good feelings among people on here. Oh well.
What I’m saying is the way one voices their criticism, disagreement or displeasure goes a long way to informing others in an alternative view or perspective...

While one can scream and shout on a forum such as this their voice may still not be heard by those it’s directed to...

If one does not wish to really discuss with others I’m suggesting a shout in the shower may be more satisfying.

The project is no question unusual....

The developer deserves huge applause for finding a solution to restore the pump house which he has... This was done by creating the development parcels at either end of the pump house. A compromise some may say...

The developer does have the skin in the game and is the one who ultimately calls the shots. Not the City, not the Architect and not you or I.

While we all are free to express our views what ever they may be, a more thoughtful response on one’s position is a much more satisfying read.

I saw the models for the residential development planned for the Great Western Metals site...

More interesting discussions to come!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:17 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ha ha. You didn’t just say that.
Only oversize steel when its exposed. Otherwise it's just the size it needs to be.

Trust me. Haha

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:29 PM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Gives new meaning to "right to the sidewalk".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:57 PM

^Interesting, that sidewalk was closed for a while. They must have just reopened it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

density eh

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:09 AM

Definitely.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:29 PM

Can't wait to see the plans for the Great West Metals site. Hopefully it comes with a new sidewalk too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 5:58 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Can't wait to see the plans for the Great West Metals site. Hopefully it comes with a new sidewalk too.
Is this a real thing or just a fantasy?!?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Is this a real thing or just a fantasy?!?
i read that in a freddie mercury voice

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
i read that in a freddie mercury voice
lol! I sang that line too when I read it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Gives new meaning to "right to the sidewalk".
Ya it's so nice to see the street wall being built up.

And then there's H20 just a two blocks away. Hopefully something like that doesn't happen again. It's the very difference between urban and suburban.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Ya it's so nice to see the street wall being built up.

And then there's H20 just a two blocks away. Hopefully something like that doesn't happen again. It's the very difference between urban and suburban.
I wish the other side of The river on Taché had had been built up with mixed use the same as Waterfront Dr.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Definitely.
as ugly as i think that project is, it really does help build a sense of continuity and density along waterfront. the view in that picture really sells this to me

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I wish the other side of The river on Taché had had been built up with mixed use the same as Waterfront Dr.
Me too. I don't know much about zoning but I imagine any of those developers wanted commercial units the st B nimbys would've shut it down instantly.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 7:04 PM

With a large chunk of the outside framing of the east apartment now built, does anyone know the time line as to when they'll be starting on the west apartments?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:33 AM

I hear Spring 2020

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan