HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 8:04 PM

UofO Matthew Knight Arena | Complete

Oregon arena could be most expensive of its size
11:24 PM PST on Sunday, February 25, 2007
ASSOCIATED PRESS

EUGENE, Ore. -- The price tag for the University of Oregon's sought-after new arena could be well above $200 million, making it one of the most expensive of its size ever.

According to documents obtained by the Register-Guard newspaper under the state public records laws, the University of Oregon estimated last year it would take $213.5 million to pay for the project once land costs are figured in. That's substantially more than the $160 million estimate university officials most recently used.

Allan Price, the UO's vice president for advancement, said the lower price was an estimate based only on costs directly related to construction. It did not take into account the cost of acquiring a former bakery and a former car lot, which would provide space for the arena and parking.

Still, the direct construction costs at the time the estimate was written early last year were put at about $175.5 million, Price acknowledged.

"The best-case scenario is we would be able to build an arena that is going to serve the needs of the university for the next 100 years ... a facility that's going to help stabilize the budget of the athletic department and move it from self-supporting to self-sustaining," he said. "A building like that is not inexpensive."

The UO wants a replacement for aging McArthur Court, which doesn't meet needs for fan amenities or revenue generation.

The university has struggled to get its arena project restarted after UO President Dave Frohnmayer pulled the plug on an earlier effort three years ago. At that time he said the cost -- an estimated $180 million not including parking -- were too high. That would have been the most expensive college arena ever.

But the UO still wants the best arena it can get.

The Web site of TVA Architects, which is working with the firm Ellerbe Becket on the design, calls the proposed facility a "theater of basketball."

The renewed effort seeks a 12,500-seat arena complex of about 400,000 square feet with a number of high-end amenities.

"I don't think the university has anything to be embarrassed about, and I think we have a lot to be proud of," he said. "I think we should aspire to greatness where that opportunity presents itself."

Price cautioned that the documents captured from correspondence with the athletic department are just a snapshot of the vision for the project a year ago and not the numbers that would be used in a final design. Those figures could vary greatly depending on construction and design plan changes, including changing the location.

The university anticipates that much of the money for the arena will come from private donors, one document estimated $123 million. Another $55 million would come from bonds repaid from arena revenues. Those two sources would cover most of the direct construction costs.

The university previously sold bonds to purchase the bakery and car dealer property.

The UO arena could be among the elite college arenas in terms of cost.

The next most expensive arena recently built is the 15,000-seat John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia, with a construction cost of about $150 million, including a parking garage and new road.

The city of Louisville, Ky., is planning a 22,000-seat downtown arena that will be the home of the University of Louisville basketball teams. It is expected to cost $250 million, but that is for a far larger building aimed at hosting many non-basketball events.

http://www.kgw.com/sports/stories/kg....13c01080.html

renderings can be found at www.tvaarchitects.com

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 9:26 PM
=)

yes!

even though im a OSU student, i think this is great news for UO they NEED a new arena badly!

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 9:52 PM
Pacific Wonderland

USC built their arena for $75 million, holds over 10K and was completed late last year. Built in a dense city, has plenty of nice amenities, and I think a parking garage went in as part of it.

The Rose Garden cost $262 million for a full on pro arena and grounds with luxury booths and the whole bit.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:18 PM

anyone have the financing specifics? I thought a majority of the costs would be paid through private donations.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
anyone have the financing specifics? I thought a majority of the costs would be paid through private donations.
excerpt taken from http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...na.0225.p1.php

Much, but not all, of the money for the arena is expected to come from private donors, a total contribution one document placed at $123 million. Another $55 million would come from bonds repaid from arena revenues, either by the university or National Championship Properties, the private nonprofit group formed by the UO Foundation that is expected to build, own and manage the arena.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:32 PM

C'mon, we all know Phil Knight will anonymously cover the difference...or at least we can always hope...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:42 PM

^^Especially now that Kilkenny has replaced Moos as the AD.

As an Oregon alumnus, I have mixed feelings about the proposed arena. I'm up for progress and advancement of the athletic program, and realize that it is a great recruiting and marketing tool. However, the ambiance of Mac Court and the feeling of being right above the floor is hard to describe if you haven't been in there when it's packed and the upper deck is shaking.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:11 PM

Sorry...I never want to lose MacCourt.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:02 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Sorry...I never want to lose MacCourt.
I agree. It is a classic.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:11 AM

I love mac court but I love UO basketball more and when you think of the recruits a new arena can lure (USC's new arena and #1 prep star O.J. Mayo) the good outweighs the bad. Here's to a deep run for the ducks in this years NCAA tourney!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:19 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
C'mon, we all know Phil Knight will anonymously cover the difference...or at least we can always hope...
Of course, that's the ONLY way this will get built.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 6:25 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I went to UO for awhile before I transferred to PSU.

Gotta say, if they can pull off something this posh without making taxpayers pay for it, go right ahead! That would be a great asset for Eugene.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 7:44 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
I love mac court but I love UO basketball more and when you think of the recruits a new arena can lure (USC's new arena and #1 prep star O.J. Mayo) the good outweighs the bad. Here's to a deep run for the ducks in this years NCAA tourney!

Well, USC is on their own level. I would imagine that a promising young recruit would rather play for a good team in southern California than a good team in backwater Oregon.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider
a good team in backwater Oregon.
In all my travels, I've never met another person who thought Oregon was 'backwater' country. I have met people that didn't know where Oregon was, but never has anyone put us in the same category as Mississippi or Louisana.

I understand the importance of sports and the need to have some star players to get your school name on a national scale, like Joey's billboard in Time Square, but $250M in upgraded dorms, and than a second wave for updated classrooms would do a helluva lot more attracting thousands of qualified out of state students (paying out of state tuition), than the 15 or so students a year (mostly on full paid scholarships) coming because they can play in a fancy new stadium. I think the university, and their donors, need to be a little more rounded when it comes to appropriating their donations.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 11:01 PM

While I may agree with you Mark, those making donations can donate their millions to whatever cause they desire.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 11:59 PM

^I certainly agree, and am happy a donor stepped forward to start OHSU's first South Waterfront Campus building, even though there are those that said it should be put toward OHSU's part of paying off the tram. However, while sports at UofO are getting world class facilities, accomidating a handful of the total students, the rest of the college is cutting back, and the dorms, oh those nasty dorms...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 7:12 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
In all my travels, I've never met another person who thought Oregon was 'backwater' country. I have met people that didn't know where Oregon was, but never has anyone put us in the same category as Mississippi or Louisana.
By backwater Oregon I meant Eugene. Think what you will about it but as far as I can tell UO is the only thing it has going for it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 4:03 PM

they have Bus Rapid Transit now too...that's a start...and they aren't backwater...just granola.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 8:18 PM

^UO also just built some brand new dorms that are probably some of the nicest in the country. Now, they do still have those dungeon dorms.

I don't see Eugene as a backwater either. In what way is it backwater country?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 8:31 PM

No way is eugene backwater...try salem and its surroundings and vancouver and its surroundings--to me thats backwater.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment