HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, honestly. Only 18 feet off the top spot... why not go for the gusto and schlep another few storeys on top. You'd think there would be some marketing value in having the tallest building in town.
I agree. Even just 2 floors would add 20 + feet. That would be tallest in town for now. 5 more floors would meet international requirements for skyscrapers.. which is 150 m / 491 feet.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Looks like 447.0' (136.2 m), which would be 2nd tallest, only behind 300 Main.
Also looks like that drawing is dated feb 4, hopefully when BAKGUY heard the news of a 50 storey tower it’s maybe something updated or revised since then?

That drawing schematic does make it look much better

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:58 PM
surely you agree with me

I feel like that 10 storey parkade will get cut down if this project happens. it is clearly sized to go after the office market. They will discover that is not a sound business plan and will never get that money back. So many developers think parkades are money makers and then discover half way through the process that they are a money pit. I count about 400 balconies, meaning they really only need about 300 parking stalls. That could be accommodated in three levels. Right now they are probably between 800-1000 stalls. That will never happen.

That would help the building immensely. The simpler massing in the elevation drawings helps too.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:01 PM

I wonder what all the stalls are for? Is it possible they worked out a deal with a nearby building owner such as the Kensington or the WPS to include parking for people working in their buildings?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:04 PM
surely you agree with me

I'm pretty sure they just believe parking makes money. I have had sooooo many developers arrive at the door with that idea only to be hit in the face when the numbers roll in.
An indoor above grade stall costs $45,000 - $50,000 to build. You never get that money back in Winnipeg...its a 30+ year payback with financing....and parking demand will likely go down after Covid, not up. And when you are talking about 30 years in the future, its pretty likely that parking changes in general, with autonomous vehicles and public transit. Most parking owners I know are hoping not to be the guy to build the last parkade.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
Going back to the talk of where people want to live in Winnipeg... Among my friend group, pretty much everyone lives in or wants to live in downtown or a downtown-adjacent neighbourhood. Since the pandemic, I think many of us are even more hesitant about starting families and have gained a new appreciation for taking walks around the neighbourhood and going on bike rides. The allure of the single-family home in the suburbs has never been lower for many of us, I think.
where in "downtown" can you take picturesque walks / bike rides compared to "suburbs" where there are trails, forests, paved paths? weird. this is my opinion but i think Sage Creek trails, Bishop Grandin paved pathway, Royalwood forests, Charleswood forest are all more walkable and scenic.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
where in "downtown" can you take picturesque walks / bike rides compared to "suburbs" where there are trails, forests, paved paths? weird. this is my opinion but i think Sage Creek trails, Bishop Grandin paved pathway, Royalwood forests, Charleswood forest are all more walkable and scenic.
I live in the suburbs and like it well enough, but I do have to say I walked a hell of a lot more when living downtown or even in the inner city... you tend to walk with a purpose a lot more in those areas, while walking in suburbia tends to be more for fun and it is less essential as a result.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:35 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Ask ywgwalk.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:52 PM
Create and Conquer

With massing accurate to the drawings, here's what you'd be looking at.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:54 PM
keep the good times going

I live downtown and take aimless walks around the area all the time. The river walk/trail was especially nice this winter.

To each their own

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:02 PM

Walkable meaning I can easily walk to the grocery, amenities, doctor, whatever. Not having a walking path. Sage creek has terrible walk scores. Burbs with no sidewalks are designed for cars. Newer suburban neighborhoods are doing better. Grid streets with sidewalks are more walkable.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I'm really struggling to see how the pathway along Bishop Grandin is more walkable or scenic than the Exchange, the riverwalk, the grounds of the Leg, the Forks, or Stephen Juba Park.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:23 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
I'm really struggling to see how the pathway along Bishop Grandin is more walkable or scenic than the Exchange, the riverwalk, the grounds of the Leg, the Forks, or Stephen Juba Park.
If you like walking along Bishop Grandin Greenway, or Gateway, or Chief Peguis, great. I don't have a problem for going for a walk along them. To each their own.

What I don't like is when the city calls these "active transportation paths" (see: bomberjet's post). Transportation is: origin to destination along network. If you are going for a recreational stroll along these paths it's not "transportation" it's recreation. If you are walking to the grocery store or chemist or whatever else -- that's transportation.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
It flat out isn't. The Greenway is a good jogging or cycling path but as a pedestrian environment it's one step up over walking around in a field.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:32 PM

Onyx II - Pembina by Iron Clad

New Proposal by Iron Clad Developments behind their Onyx development on Pembina.

https://www.ironcladdevelopments.ca/proposal-onyx2

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:43 PM
surely you agree with me

that's nice...can we put that one downtown instead?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:46 PM
surely you agree with me

i spent the pandemic riding my bike around the city for recreation almost every day. I went into the suburbs occasionally and can say definitively going around the central neighbourhoods was way more enjoyable and interesting. I discovered something new every time. I was always blown away by how I would see things I've never seen before. Riding along the asphalt strips in the suburbs was pretty much the opposite.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
New Proposal by Iron Clad Developments behind their Onyx development on Pembina.

https://www.ironcladdevelopments.ca/proposal-onyx2
Absolutely. A couple more floors and it would look appropriate and fit well even around the peripheral edge of downtown

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Walking through pleasant residential neighbourhoods is nice. I'm in West Broadway, so I have access to quite a few areas I like, including Corydon, Wolseley, Armstrong Point, walk to the Fork, and the Rivertrail. I have friends in the exchange that go to Stephen Juba Park, St. B, and the Forks a lot. Bike infra isn't all that bad either, good trails along the rivers and with the active streets pretty safe access to Assiniboine Park and other areas. Biking through Wolseley on certain days is magical and I love having access to something like that.

Last edited by Peggerino; Apr 14, 2021 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Absolutely. A couple more floors and it would look appropriate and fit well even around the peripheral edge of downtown
Please build that here. Thank you.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8990...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan