HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:48 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's from 2007 but the below pdf does pretty well at comparing Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary with cities like Chicago, New York, Berlin, and Vienna

https://www.tcat.ca/wp-content/uploa...Highlights.pdf

Near the end there's a mode breakdown for Toronto by subregion (ie Toronto at 35% transit modeshare with Mississauga 15%, Markham 14%, etc.) with a further breakdown for walking and cycling.

Yikes. 2007 is a long time ago. I can guarantee all of those North American cities have increased their AT mode share significantly. Calgary alone has at least doubled in that period. Five years ago (2016) citywide was 23%... https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...sportationdata

Two years prior in 2014, it was 24%. It only dropped because three large, low density populated areas were added to the map between those years. These three areas can be seen on the maps in the link in the far south, northeast, and far north central.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 13, 2021 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Finally cropped together a map of the Calgary bike path network from the City of Calgary website. It really gives a shocking view of the amount of our municipal landmass that is undeveloped. Could comfortably double the municipality to 2.7 million and barely notice the density increase 0_o

Light Blue - On-street Dedicated Bike Lanes (painted)
Blue - On-street Dedicated Bike Lanes (barrier)
Red - Regional Pathways (separate from road network)
Pink - River Pathways (separate from road network)
Green - Greenbelt (separate from road network)

Does not include unpaved pathways - see link to scroll in for that level of resolution

https://maps.calgary.ca/PathwaysandBikeways/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 13, 2021 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:53 PM

I can't seem to get a screen shot. But this is a great map that shows cycling in cities around the world.

These are actual cycling trips over the last 2 years.

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#10.56...52657/hot/ride

It is interesting to see tracks I have made.

I find it interesting how far afield riders in Alberta Go. from the major centres.

It would be nice to separate the winter activities though. Skiing cycling etc.

Last edited by Airboy; Apr 13, 2021 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:07 PM
Registered Drug User

Argh, this is so enraging.

Quote:
Quebec cyclists bad road behaviour causing stir in Penticton
The young cycling group illegally riding two-abreast on Naramata’s narrow roads

A cycling group from Quebec have got themselves in a bit of hot water over their poor riding behaviour.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/ne...medium=twitter
"Bad road etiquette." "Bad behaviour." "Poor riding behaviour." Such awful people, these cyclist kids from Quebec. Though the Quebec angle is irrelevant here. What really gets my dander up:

Quote:
Retired RCMP officer Dan Moskaluk is a resident of Naramata and took to Facebook as well after he was caught behind the cyclists riding two abreast, forcing him to drive into the oncoming lane to pass them.
You're supposed to go into the oncoming lane when passing cyclists! You're not supposed to squeeze by cyclists on narrow roads when there is oncoming traffic! Fer crissakes.

This Facebook post sums it up:

Quote:
It is much safer for a passing vehicle to cross into the oncoming lane than remain in the driving lane and push cyclists onto the shoulder or even off the road. The law itself is creating unsafe conditions. Riding in pairs forces a driver to pass more safely. Drivers do not hesitate to move into an oncoming lane when passing a tractor or other slow-moving vehicle. What is the problem with safely passing cyclists? Or even sometimes using the break pedal. I know, its those nasty city cyclists bringing new-fangled ideas to rural Canada.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:14 PM

Oh no out of province idiots! Shouldn't they be single file?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
What the fuck are you talking about? The very point of the response to this stupid article is that two-abreast is actually safer, and drivers approaching cyclists from behind should be going into the oncoming lane to pass, just like they would if they were overtaking a tractor or horse and buggy.

BC's traffic code proscribing riding two-abreast is antiquated. Ontario isn't much better, as here two or three-abreast is fine unless there are cars present, and then you're supposed to try to ride single file. Though that's not true in cities, or at least Toronto, where cyclists can take the full lane if they need to.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

10 out of 10 rural BC folk agree, people from away are bad and we don't like their kind here. RCMP are investigating; please call in if you know where this Quebec place is.

As far as cycling goes, these rural roads would be a lot better with a bit more of a shoulder (1 or 2 feet extra being a big plus for a cyclist). Often there is nowhere for cyclists to go and drivers do not give them space even if they are single file.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The law varies across different provinces, so I can't speak for BC, but the attorney general of Ontario confirmed recently that their interpretation of the Highway Traffic Act is that two-abreast cycling is legal.

Speaking practically, it is far safer for cyclists, as motorist can't try to thread the needle and are instead forced to pass properly. It also makes it easier for motorists to pass properly since the cyclists occupy a smaller section of the lane.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
as far as cycling goes, these rural roads would be a lot better with a bit more of a shoulder (1 or 2 feet extra being a big plus for a cyclist). Often there is nowhere for cyclists to go and drivers do not give them space even especially if they are single file.
ftfy.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:31 PM
Registered Drug User

The way it works on the rural roads outside of Stratford is that we ride two abreast on quiet country roads with little traffic, but not on highways with markings that are busier with traffic moving at higher speeds.

The rule of thumb around here is that the presence of paint on a road signifies that it's busier for motorized vehicle traffic. An ideal route for a ride therefore maximizes roads without markings.

Last edited by rousseau; Apr 16, 2021 at 6:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The way it work on the rural roads outside of Stratford is that we ride two abreast on quiet country roads with little traffic, but not on highways with markings that are busier with traffic moving at higher speeds.

The rule of thumb around here is that the present of paint on a road signifies that it's busier for motorized vehicle traffic. An ideal route for a ride therefore maximizes roads without markings.
Pretty much the same way here, Unless you have Tri guys then its all over the road.

But watching this one in BC. The team should have been more receptive to those around them. Not to many in my cycling sphere are happy with their performance. Gives us all a bad name. One of the reason I seem to be spending more time on gravel is the pleasure of not having to deal with traffic.

One other thing that I am seeing in local cycling forums. Why the F... is a Quebec team riding in BC. (is there no travel restrictions).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:07 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
"Our a priori expectations around meteorological indicators were that there would be no significant correlations. This proved to be the case."

Just what I thought.
I was using my bike right up until early December, then started again in early March. The only reason I don't cycle in deep winter is because I can't be bothered getting studded tires or dealing with the extra maintenance required because of all the road salt. In a city with relatively mild and dry winters like Toronto, the only thing stopping people from cycling more often in the winter is the lack of decent all-season infrastructure.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:09 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as cycling goes, these rural roads would be a lot better with a bit more of a shoulder (1 or 2 feet extra being a big plus for a cyclist). Often there is nowhere for cyclists to go and drivers do not give them space even if they are single file.
Europeans have narrower roads than we do, but they have far lower rates of cyclist road accident deaths. Drivers hitting cyclists in North America is almost purely due to motorist entitlement.

The problem with the shoulders is that that's where all the road debris is, so they're mostly no-go areas. Ontario doesn't have American-style paved shoulders, but even when there is one or two feet of asphalt to the right of the white line I tend to stay more or less on the white line when riding, as getting to the edge of the asphalt can be treacherous.

Interestingly, I recall once meeting an American couple riding a tandem bike through Ontario who weren't impressed by our lack of paved shoulders. Why didn't we have them? they asked me. I said it was probably a cost-saving measure. They smugly shrugged their shoulders and said, oh well, save a few dollars, a few people die.

That turned out to be a l'esprit d'escalier encounter for me, as it was only later that it occurred to me that I should have said that I didn't think there was any correlation between wider paved shoulders and improved cyclist safety. Indeed, the road accident death rate for cyclists is higher in the US than it is in Canada, and we, with our narrower than the US but wider than the UK roads, have a higher death rate than the UK (and undoubtedly the rest of Europe).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The roads are also terrible for debris in a lot of the US. I've experienced more car damage in total from infrequent US road trips than from driving around where I live.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:17 AM
ハルウララ

Reminds me of the incident in NB where Ellen Watters was killed by a car driving the same direction when cycling.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...eath-1.3914004

Basically led to NB implementing the one-metre rule that exists in Ontario requiring drivers to give space or risk a fine and demerit points.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 5:41 AM
perhaps . . .

The reason I stopped road riding is that no matter what is right and wrong, two abreast, single file, whatever, cyclists are not protected by being on the right side of the law. I now know of five individuals who have been killed by cars overtaking them. Two personal friends: one high school friend out in the country near North Bay, and one on a cycling trip near Estevan Sask.. The others were acquaintances, including two north of Pemberton here in BC, and one at the base of Burnaby mountain on his way up to Simon Fraser.

I ride mountain trails now, and on the street I keep to my mountain bike on which I can jump curbs to avoid the cars and buses. I also ride in a manner that preserves my odds by assuming all drivers are idiots. I couldn't care less if I'm in the right: I stay safe and bitch about it later.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Reminds me of the incident in NB where Ellen Watters was killed by a car driving the same direction when cycling.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...eath-1.3914004

Basically led to NB implementing the one-metre rule that exists in Ontario requiring drivers to give space or risk a fine and demerit points.
BC doesn't have a 1 m rule, and the motorists here are quite keen to remind you of that fact.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 7:30 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
BC doesn't have a 1 m rule, and the motorists here are quite keen to remind you of that fact.
You may be correct, but Cycling BC says the opposite is true.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
What the fuck are you talking about? The very point of the response to this stupid article is that two-abreast is actually safer, and drivers approaching cyclists from behind should be going into the oncoming lane to pass, just like they would if they were overtaking a tractor or horse and buggy.

BC's traffic code proscribing riding two-abreast is antiquated. Ontario isn't much better, as here two or three-abreast is fine unless there are cars present, and then you're supposed to try to ride single file. Though that's not true in cities, or at least Toronto, where cyclists can take the full lane if they need to.
In Quebec I am pretty sure the rule is that cyclists should ride single file, but it's fairly common to see cyclists two abreast here. Especially in the Montérégie and Eastern Townships regions east of Montreal where the roads are filled with bikes.

Also in Quebec the law is that that vehicles have to give cyclists 1.5 m of space.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:36 PM

Funny Some of my cycling group are cops. and they insist on riding 2 up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada