HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:36 AM

If I'm not mistaken, that was DND property, which is probably why it hadn't been developed until now. On the concept plan you can still see remains of the old roadway of the military housing site on the other side of Lancaster.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 12:48 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that was DND property, which is probably why it hadn't been developed until now. On the concept plan you can still see remains of the old roadway of the military housing site on the other side of Lancaster.
So that's what that was. I noticed it and couldn't understand why it was there. I always thought a Church owned a large part of the land. Years ago I remember seeing the "future home of" whatever the name was.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
So that's what that was. I noticed it and couldn't understand why it was there. I always thought a Church owned a large part of the land. Years ago I remember seeing the "future home of" whatever the name was.
The entire site was military and up until about 15 years ago there were still many compact ex-military houses here. The site was sold off and the large property on the corner of Woodland and Lancaster was indeed sold to a church, but so far they not proceeded with construction. Now apparently they want to do some development.

More here in an update from the area councillor: http://www.samaustin.ca/council-upda...de-expressway/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
You can see the military housing near the center-right of this aerial photo from the 1970s (Halifax Municipal Archives):

Town/City of Dartmouth fonds
Dartmouth (N.S.). Planning and Development Department records
Planning and Development photographs
Aerial photographs
Aerials - General
Dartmouth aerial tour
Retrieval code: 101-80C-1-1-4
[c. 1972]

If my memory serves me correctly, this was some sort of radio base?

Here is a similar angle on Google maps, to help place it:
https://goo.gl/maps/57YxiSjin27aJkvC7

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The entire site was military and up until about 15 years ago there were still many compact ex-military houses here. The site was sold off and the large property on the corner of Woodland and Lancaster was indeed sold to a church, but so far they not proceeded with construction. Now apparently they want to do some development.

More here in an update from the area councillor: http://www.samaustin.ca/council-upda...de-expressway/
Thanks for jogging my memory, Keith, I couldn't remember how the church thing fit in.

Unfortunately, the link you provided caused me to read more of that 'induced demand' malarkey...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for jogging my memory, Keith, I couldn't remember how the church thing fit in.

Unfortunately, the link you provided caused me to read more of that 'induced demand' malarkey...

You may enjoy reading this much more - everything you ever wanted to know about the Albro Lake Naval Radio Station, with plenty of pictures too:

http://jproc.ca/rrp/albro_lake.html

As for "induced demand", Austin can't help himself, he has been indoctrinated to that dogma via his urban planning education.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You may enjoy reading this much more - everything you ever wanted to know about the Albro Lake Naval Radio Station, with plenty of pictures too:

http://jproc.ca/rrp/albro_lake.html

As for "induced demand", Austin can't help himself, he has been indoctrinated to that dogma via his urban planning education.
Wow! That's great, Keith! Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:44 AM

Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly, this was some sort of radio base?

Here is a similar angle on Google maps, to help place it:
https://goo.gl/maps/57YxiSjin27aJkvC7

Naval Radio Station Albro Lake

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Thanks! It's the same link that Keith provided, but it's a good one!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:39 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Wow, can't wait to see what the development plans are for the Dugger/old Mills Brothers site on Spring Garden Road... supposed to be torn down in the spring... would love to see what is proposed as Mickey MacDonald has partnered with a developer ( I believe Danny Chedrawe and Westwood Developments). This will be a huge one.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Zzzzzzzzz...

In case anyone was wondering this will be called The Upside and is being built by Urchin Property Management (think the Brightside on Portland). The floor plans on their website show three commercial units and 20 residential units all facing south.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 6:43 AM

why has nothing been built at the corner of Rodney and Portland? Why is it still an overgrown parking lot, even after all these years?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 10:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The St. David fence and front staircase are being restored:
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...y-plan-368469/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The St. David fence and front staircase are being restored:
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...y-plan-368469/
One hopes that the rats that lived in that bank in front of the church were evicted.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
why has nothing been built at the corner of Rodney and Portland? Why is it still an overgrown parking lot, even after all these years?
If you mean Neighbours Pub site and not the tire store, the lot was recently bought by a developer. Chandler Haliburton, who is proposing two six storey buildings just two lots farther up Portland, owns it. He owns everything on that side now up until the houses start again, with the notable except of that small orange boxy apartment. So something is likely to happen there in the future.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The small building at Stadaconna is nearly done now.

20190217_134304 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Over the summer this received a paint treatment with a few different tones and now looks nowhere near as bleak.

In other Stadacona news, I was driving past today and was surprised to see the old Gymnasium on the opposite side of the main gate from the new drill shed was in the midst of being demolished. Most of it was down including the entire roof structure when I passed by except for the north wall. You could see the interior wall on that side with a large logo (Stadacona, presumably) painted on the inside.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 11:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Gottingen and Falkland construction:

Lion's Head tavern. This one's more imposing than I expected.

Source

Last edited by someone123; Nov 10, 2019 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:42 AM

ORIGINAL BELLS TO BE INSTALLED AT CITY HALL?

Hey everyone!

Back in September CBC and Global News reported that the Municipality had issued a tender on Sept. 2nd seeking a contractor to replace the City Hall clocks but most interestingly to reinstall the original two bells that hung in the belfry tower. If I'm reading the tender correctly it closed on Sept. 24th and was awarded to Black & McDonald on Oct. 11th.

I haven't been able to find any kind of an update though on whether this is going ahead or not and if so what the timeline is. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything? If Black & McDonald were awarded the tender it should be a go ahead, right?

Both news stories are about a 2-3min read and there's some pretty interesting info on the history of the bells. Apparently the smaller one used to be the bell that was at
The City Market Building.... thought that was kind of cool.

Anyway, if anyone has any info I'd love to hear it!

Tender
https://procurement.novascotia.ca/te...?id=HRM-19-178

CBC
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5269940

Global
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...-old-bell/amp/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:31 PM

Interesting. Looks like the contract was awarded, but no substantial completion date that I could find. It was left as a blank for the bidder to fill out on the bid form.

I would say that yes, it looks like it is moving forward, but without the substantial completion date the timeline is unclear. Likely, though, it should be finished before the end of the budget period, which would be what... end of March?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Lots going on downtown today!

Concrete barriers going up around the Salter side of the Maritime Centre.

Two compact excavators now on the roof of the Ralston Building to start the demo of the structure.

Barriers gone up around the Governor site (Bishop & Hollis).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth