HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:48 PM

[Halifax] Benjamin Wier Addition (1478 Hollis St) | 24 m | 6 fl | Proposed

WM Fares is designing an addition to the Benjamin Wier House on Hollis Street. It is going to the Design Review Committee this week for its preliminary presentation.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...ngandPlans.pdf

The rendering of this has been floating around for a while. I love it!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:23 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
WM Fares is designing an addition to the Benjamin Wier House on Hollis Street. It is going to the Design Review Committee this week for its preliminary presentation.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...ngandPlans.pdf

The rendering of this has been floating around for a while. I love it!

A great looking project. It is good to see such a practical use of a heritage building.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:44 AM

I love this.

I'd like see it built concurrently with Halkirk House. (And the addition of the mansard roof to Keith Hall, which is going to happen...when?)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I love this.

I'd like see it built concurrently with Halkirk House. (And the addition of the mansard roof to Keith Hall, which is going to happen...when?)
Me too - love it.
The green roof is really nice too.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:24 PM

The current building (the Finnish consulate is located here). I wish I'd taken a picture of the back, if I'm remembering right it's pretty interesting, and not at all what you'd expect.

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The current building (the Finnish consulate is located here). I wish I'd taken a picture of the back, if I'm remembering right it's pretty interesting, and not at all what you'd expect.
Bing Maps to the rescue! Looks like there was an addition added on at some point:

http://binged.it/1GxfrI7

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Bing Maps to the rescue! Looks like there was an addition added on at some point:

http://binged.it/1GxfrI7
Yeah! You'll see a cool feature if you rotate the map so you're facing south.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 9:19 PM

That is pretty neat!

Very cool building. I hope they aren't going to alter it too much.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That is pretty neat!

Very cool building. I hope they aren't going to alter it too much.
The idea is tear out the addition, and remove the Juliet balcony on the front, which isn't original. Otherwise I think the idea is to leave it exactly the same.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The idea is tear out the addition, and remove the Juliet balcony on the front, which isn't original. Otherwise I think the idea is to leave it exactly the same.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Sounds like a net positive, but I've noticed a trend where "non-original" details are stripped away when heritage buildings are restored. Even the two storeys on top of the building with the Bluenose II Restaurant were going to be removed, and the reason given was that they weren't original. The same line was given at one point about the upper floors of the Dennis Building. Many of these adaptations were positive changes and they're a part of the city's history too.

I'm worried that the city is too focused on a simple platonic ideal of heritage preservation that is based strictly around age and historical events or personalities. There's little notion of preserving the city's character, preserving more recent buildings as heritage for future generations, or thinking critically about what it is that makes these buildings appealing and impactful.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I love the little balcony! It adds a romantic little flourish to an otherwise staid design.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sounds like a net positive, but I've noticed a trend where "non-original" details are stripped away when heritage buildings are restored. Even the two storeys on top of the building with the Bluenose II Restaurant were going to be removed, and the reason given was that they weren't original. The same line was given at one point about the upper floors of the Dennis Building. Many of these adaptations were positive changes and they're a part of the city's history too.

I'm worried that the city is too focused on a simple platonic ideal of heritage preservation that is based strictly around age and historical events or personalities. There's little notion of preserving the city's character, preserving more recent buildings as heritage for future generations, or thinking critically about what it is that makes these buildings appealing and impactful.
A few decades down the road and Mayor Drybrain will be arguing for the preservation of all the Mc Mansions.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Good points. In the case of Benjamin Wier, I think the minor changes are no big deal, and I like that the modern design provides breathing room and respects the massing of the heritage building. This is truly a win-win.

But in the case of the Dennis or the Champlain Building, absolutely--the non-original additions are so significant to the buildings' forms, (and are themselves longstanding enough) that they absolutely deserve to be considered as integral to the heritage of the structures.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I love the little balcony! It adds a romantic little flourish to an otherwise staid design.
I actually like it too. I understand that they have to remove the addition in the rear in order to facilitate the new building, but I would prefer they keep the balcony as it does look good and it's part of the history of the building.

However, I'm just happy that they are not going to gut the building. I've developed low standards for heritage projects around here.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 12:58 PM

Halifax regional council approves Benjamin Wier house addition

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ring-1.3880960

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Overtime things change, now just the "façade" will be maintained; I bet the interior of the building are quite impressive. I wonder why the Heritage Committee could not come to a decision?

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...61206ca131.pdf

"It's clear that there's protection and retention of the heritage value of the building as a whole," said Erin MacIntyre. "The character defining elements are largely at the front of the building." from CBC, it's unclear to me what they mean by the front of the building. On the radio this morning the wording used was maintain the façade, which usually means the face. If they are only removing the addition and the rear façade (face), and maintain the interior of the building, I have no issue with that. It's just is unclear what's been approved.

Last edited by JET; Dec 7, 2016 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Overtime things change, now just the "façade" will be maintained; I bet the interior of the building are quite impressive. I wonder why the Heritage Committee could not come to a decision?

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...61206ca131.pdf

"It's clear that there's protection and retention of the heritage value of the building as a whole," said Erin MacIntyre. "The character defining elements are largely at the front of the building." from CBC, it's unclear to me what they mean by the front of the building. On the radio this morning the wording used was maintain the façade, which usually means the face. If they are only removing the addition and the rear façade (face), and maintain the interior of the building, I have no issue with that. It's just is unclear what's been approved.
I think the Heritage Commitee came to a tie, basically, and therefore they couldn't recommend for or against.

But I listened to the council discussion yesterday, and the proposal hasn't changed since it was first tabled. The whole house will be retained, except for the balcony and rear dormers, which will be removed to attach the addition. The rest of the original structure, including the interior, will remain.

I don't know what the CBC radio report said, but they have an accurate web story up.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Halifax regional council approves Benjamin Wier house addition

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ring-1.3880960
I don't really get the point of this development but ok...

I think the rendering looks totally ridiculous, but the good thing is that you will never likely notice the addition from street level because it is stepped back far enough.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I think the Heritage Commitee came to a tie, basically, and therefore they couldn't recommend for or against.

But I listened to the council discussion yesterday, and the proposal hasn't changed since it was first tabled. The whole house will be retained, except for the balcony and rear dormers, which will be removed to attach the addition. The rest of the original structure, including the interior, will remain.

I don't know what the CBC radio report said, but they have an accurate web story up.
I heard the same CBC radio report this morning, and they did say at one point that they were just keeping the facade. However, the way they presented it on the radio seemed a little confusing. The web story indicates that they will keep most of the building, which to me is "retention of the heritage value".

I still wish they would just leave it as a stand-alone structure, but if they just remove the rear face to incorporate it into the new building then this is the best compromise we could hope for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth