HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:06 PM

I stopped in yesterday, and it's a nice store with lots of Pacific NW touches and just overall cool design. A really welcome addition to downtown. Does anyone know of other retail moving into this building?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:31 PM

Right next door to Design Within Reach.

Quote:
Hay's first US store opens in Portland

Danish design brand Hay has opened its first brick-and-mortar store in North America, hot on the heels of the dedicated e-commerce platform for the region it launched earlier this month.

Colourful homeware contrasts industrial details at Hay Portland, located at 825 Northwest 13th Avenue in the Oregon city's trendy Pearl District.

Founded by Rolf and Mette Hay in 2002, the brand is expanding into the the North American market with both physical and online retail.

"The opening of the Portland store represents the first step in an exciting journey for us," said Rolf Hay in a statement.
...continues at Dezeen.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I stopped in yesterday, and it's a nice store with lots of Pacific NW touches and just overall cool design. A really welcome addition to downtown. Does anyone know of other retail moving into this building?
The leasing flyer still shows the spaces facing SW 6th Ave as available. I hope they fill up soon. It's a shame to have lost Macy's, but Muji has such a better street presence than Macy's did.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:30 PM

Urban Works listing site

Boy, Urban works current listings is a good way to figure out what restaurants are about to close up in my hood. Good bye Abby and Southland... "Do Not Disturb Current Tenant". Lompoc closed without much warning and they were always pretty busy.
http://www.urbanworksrealestate.com/listings/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 12:31 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
Lompoc closed without much warning and they were always pretty busy.
Wow, I didn't realize Lompoc Tavern on 23rd closed! Sadly, that place was never the same after the New Old Lompoc building was redeveloped. The New Old Lompoc was such a wonderful place to hang out. I used to go there all the time for beer & board games. When they reopened as Lompoc Tavern, that homey sort of stay-a-while vibe was gone. I'm sad that Lompoc won't be in NW anymore. I LOVE their beer!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:58 AM

Looks like the Nike Store on MLK is closing too:
http://www.reig.com/Properties/ViewS...ropertyID=8021

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Looks like the Nike Store on MLK is closing too:
http://www.reig.com/Properties/ViewS...ropertyID=8021
Whaaaaat, that's bizarre. I wonder if they're just moving? Can't imagine they're struggling.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The leasing flyer still shows the spaces facing SW 6th Ave as available. I hope they fill up soon. It's a shame to have lost Macy's, but Muji has such a better street presence than Macy's did.
Absolutely, this store actually has windows to the street!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Whaaaaat, that's bizarre. I wonder if they're just moving? Can't imagine they're struggling.
I can't think of where they would be moving to in the immediate area. The store was always meant to be a cornerstone of an underprivileged area. The area has evolved yet I don't see the store moving to some place like Lloyd Center.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 2:08 AM

Also of note: a new leasing flyer shows space C (corner of SW 6th and Alder) as leased.

Quote:
A Beloved Ladd’s Addition Coffee Shop Is Opening a Second Location Downtown
Upper Left Roasters will bring their toasts and exciting roasts to the Meier & Frank building

Boutique Ladd’s Addition coffee shop Upper Left Roasters is opening a second cafe in the historic Meier & Frank building downtown. The new coffee shop, set to open on December 19, will have an assortment of bagel sandwiches, decked-out toasts, and of course, plenty of coffee — in particular, the cafe will keep Upper Left’s nitro cacao cold brew on tap.
...continues at Eater Portland.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:15 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Boutique Ladd’s Addition coffee shop Upper Left Roasters is opening a second cafe in the historic Meier & Frank building downtown
That's fantastic! I hope they're very successful there. They'll certainly see lots of foot traffic. It'll be so good to see the 5th & 6th sides of the old Meier & Frank building come to life. The only time I ever paid attention to those sides of the building when walking by were back in the days when Meier & Frank used to put up their wacky (and fun) 12 Days Of Christmas window displays. I was bummed when that tradition ended. It may have been corny, but it was also kind of charming.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
First look inside the Japanese bookstore that's coming to Portland's Guild Theatre (Photos)

We've known since June that Japanese bookstore Kinokuniya would be opening a store inside the old Guild Theatre in downtown Portland.

Now we know what that store and an accompanying tea cafe will look like.

Kinokuniya Bookstores of America this week formally announced its Portland store. It also shared a few renderings of the space, as well as some shots of its New York store, which the Portland store will closely mirror.

The Portland store, Kinokuniya's 13th in the U.S., will carry an array of books, merchandise and stationery, with "a focus on art and comics from Japan," according to a release. The company describes its collection as one full of "manga, graphic novels, art and design books, cookbooks, travel books, children's books, and more, both in English and Japanese."

Kinokuniya said it will also collaborate with "a beloved local Japanese cafe" on a space inside the store for visitors to relax and enjoy Japanese tea.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:50 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Downtown Portland Target store will shrink its footprint

Target will vacate two of the three floors it currently occupies in downtown Portland’s Galleria building.

The Minneapolis big-box retail giant currently occupies an 89,000-square-foot space in the historic building, but will abandon the top two floors of its retail space and begin operating solely as a ground floor storefront this month, according to building owner Unico Properties. Target had occupied nearly 50% of the building.

The five-story Galleria will now have four floors of office space above a ground-floor retail level.
...continues at OregonLive.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
...continues at OregonLive.
I'm curious how much smaller it will actually feel. Quite a bit of the current store is occupied by escalators, stairs, and elevators. Here's the floor plan.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
I'm curious how much smaller it will actually feel. Quite a bit of the current store is occupied by escalators, stairs, and elevators. Here's the floor plan.
Is there a link to the original pdf?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:18 PM

Kiriko, a "Portland-based Japanese textiles and apparel brand" is opening in the former Boys' Fort location on SW 10th and Morrison. (I miss Boys' Fort, hopefully they return one day.)

https://kirikomade.com/pages/story

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Is there a link to the original pdf?
I found it on Portland Maps, but I could not find a way to link directly to the files.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics