HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 2:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
When can that annonymous Hyatt box be redeveloped? It looks pretty bad next to Grand Centrral like that.
Probably not in the near future, but thank Trump for it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/business/12hyatt.html

It would be as viable a location for a tower as SL Green's planned tower on the opposite side.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The Chrysler Building is iconic in every sense of the word, nearly as much as the ESB itself. Buildings could be twice as tall, and won't have the status of the Chrysler Building. That's why I hope what goes up here will truly live up to "icon" status, giving that portion of the skyline a new symbol for the new century.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5283603...n/photostream/
You mean the Metlife building isn't "icon" status?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 1:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
You mean the Metlife building isn't "icon" status?
In its own way, it is. But it is not the symbol of the skyline like the Chrysler and ESB are. That is what SL Green supposedly wants here. A new tower to change the city's skyline. It wouldn't surprise me if we got something with a spire here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2012/0...s-inquisition/

By The Editors 9/18/12

Quote:

Now the REIT, which was founded in 1970, is poised for its first major foray into developing an office tower, a planned 1.2-million-square-foot building across the street from Grand Central Terminal. SL Green tapped Hines, the Houston-based developer, as a consultant on the project, The Wall Street Journal reported in June.

After purchasing 51 East 42nd Street, SL Green owns all of the buildings on East 42nd and East 43rd Streets bounded by Madison and Vanderbilt Avenues. The building envisioned for the one-acre site may resemble “prestigious properties” like the Burj in Dubai, Mori Tower in Tokyo, the ICC Tower in Hong Kong, the World Financial Center in Shanghai or the Petronas Tower, Edward Piccinich, a vice president of property management and construction for SL Green, said during an investor conference in December. “Developing East Midtown will not be for the harried or the faint of heart,” Architects Newspaper reported, after the Department of City Planning went to Community Boards 5 and 6 to open the discussion on East Midtown, the yet-to-be-defined business district surrounding Grand Central. “The applicable zoning codes in the area are a paralyzing mess of contradictory allowances.”

Based on its recent run of deals, SL Green may just be able to see the project through.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 12:53 AM
Metal Up Your !

"The building envisioned for the one-acre site may resemble “prestigious properties” like the Burj in Dubai, Mori Tower in Tokyo, the ICC Tower in Hong Kong, the World Financial Center in Shanghai or the Petronas Tower, Edward Piccinich, a vice president of property management and construction for SL Green, said during an investor conference in December."

O.O WOW!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
"The building envisioned for the one-acre site may resemble “prestigious properties” like the Burj in Dubai, Mori Tower in Tokyo, the ICC Tower in Hong Kong, the World Financial Center in Shanghai or the Petronas Tower, Edward Piccinich, a vice president of property management and construction for SL Green, said during an investor conference in December."

O.O WOW!
One can only hope for the best.

Btw see here, post 43, Jun 7, 2012, by NYGuy:

Quote:
Some of the prestigious properties are considered as inspiration prior to us engaging a world-class architect, including the Burj in Dubai, Mori Tower in Tokyo, the ICC Tower in Hong Kong, the World Financial Center in Shanghai and the Petronas Towers.
Quote:
Although each have their own aesthetic, I imagine how the lines and the curves of these designs would make a huge impact on the city's skyline. I've thought about how great it would be to construct one of these behemoths, The Tower over Grand Central Terminal.
I'll be glad if this breaks the 500 meters mark, without a spire preferably.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
One can only hope for the best.

Btw see here, post 43, Jun 7, 2012, by NYGuy:

I'll be glad if this breaks the 500 meters mark, without a spire preferably.
...and a 2000 ft tower like SEOUL Triple One?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

It will be fun to watch as this develops. But one thing about it, they won't be shy. Whether or not it ends up as the City's tallest is up in the air and debatable, but they certainly want to create a new landmark.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
It will be fun to watch as this develops. But one thing about it, they won't be shy. Whether or not it ends up as the City's tallest is up in the air and debatable, but they certainly want to create a new landmark.
Yes, a new landmark will be fantastic , but when they show us same drawings of this project?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Yes, a new landmark will be fantastic , but when they show us same drawings of this project?
They've just begun the development phase, so I wouldn't hold out on any renderings.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 12:37 AM

im so excited for this project, cant wait for some renderings or some actual heights their thinking about..im still hoping for something around 1500 feet

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 1:03 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This building whatever it may be will throw the assumption of a tower on TOP of GCT in to the trash can for all eternity, unless the tower on GCT is considerably taller.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 7:23 PM

A 1600' to 1800' of this would be interesting here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:12 PM
Come As You Are

^^Generali always reminded me of the Bank Of America Tower.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:27 PM
New Yorker for life

We know that Hines was brought in a few months ago to help with development of this tower, and haven't heard anything on choice of architects. But I've been thinking about this quote:

http://www.leadersmag.com/issues/201...n-Fox-KPF.html
KPF’s Global Impact
An Interview with A. Eugene Kohn, Chairman, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates

Quote:
Most recently, we were commissioned for a special new office building in midtown.

I can't think of any potentially significant new office towers in Midtown that don't already have architects or designs in place. And we know KPF is known for some of the big boys. It wouldn't shock me if they were chosen for this site.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:29 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories

Untangling the Grand Central Snarl
By LAURA KUSISTO

Quote:
NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALOctober 17, 2012, 9:41 p.m. ET.Untangling the Grand Central Snarl .
By LAURA KUSISTO

These are a few of the proposals by architects who want to transform Grand Central Terminal from a chaotic beehive back to its former glory as a stately entry point to the city for the many thousands of commuters and tourists who use it each day.

The Department of City Planning has proposed a rezoning of the area around Grand Central, including parts of Park and Madison avenues, to allow for a handful of new office towers, some of which could rival iconic buildings in Shanghai, Dubai and London.

As part of the proposed rezoning, some developers would be required to donate to a fund to make infrastructure upgrades in the area, including building additional stairways to access the subway platforms in Grand Central and a pedestrian mall on Vanderbilt Avenue.

But some want to see more ambitious solutions to Grand Central's pedestrian traffic jams, which are only expected to increase with the addition of more office space and new commuter access to the terminal by the Long Island Rail Road.

"What's in it for the public?" said Roger Duffy, a design partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, an architecture firm.

The firm was one of three asked by the Municipal Art Society of New York, a nonprofit, to submit proposals about how to redesign public space in the area. The group plans to unveil the submissions at a conference Thursday, which it hopes will influence city planners as they contemplates upgrades to the area. The proposed rezoning is still in the early stages of the public approval process.

"Grand Central itself is our most beloved landmark. It's the center of commercial New York. It's also a neighborhood. But yet, the area over the years, it has become somewhat disconnected and a little lonely at times, particularly in the evening," said Vin Cipolla, president of MAS.

The ideas from the architects have thus far found a receptive audience with the department. "I look forward to seeing the concepts that the MAS teams have put forward and to continuing conversations with the public about critical pedestrian and transit network improvements that can accompany future development in East Midtown," City Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden said in a statement.

The most visually striking proposal, designed by Skidmore Owings, is a halo suspended between two new office buildings that would move up and down. It would give visitors a view of the city from different heights, similar to the London Eye.

The firm says it has consulted with engineers and the proposal is technically feasible, but the bigger challenge would be to ensure that the government and owners of potential new office towers could work together.
Somehow I don't think that very awkward looking, mobile sky bridge will make the cut, or that the developers would split the building into "shorter" 350M/1100ft twins, but this is still quite an interesting design none the less.

Last edited by Eidolon; Oct 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post

Untangling the Grand Central Snarl
By LAURA KUSISTO

Somehow I don't think that very awkward looking, mobile sky bridge will make the cut, or that the developers would split the building into "shorter" 350M/1100ft twins, but this is still quite an interesting design none the less.

Yes, and it's good that they are at least thinking about the public.

Quote:
"What's in it for the public?" said Roger Duffy, a design partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, an architecture firm.

As I posted earlier in the Midtown zoning thread, it would be a dream of mine to have them turn the elevated drive around Grand Central into a high line-like park. I think the more that idea is put out there, the greater chances of it becoming a reality. Here's an idea from this post:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=129

Let's make it happen!

Anyway, here's a resized look at that rendering with the skywalk/observation wheel...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:56 AM

Quote:
it would be a dream of mine to have them turn the elevated drive around Grand Central into a high line-like park. I think the more that idea is put out there, the greater chances of it becoming a reality.
I'm just absorbing the idea of the sky walk. It's nuts. I hope they have some transparent floors, I love heights.

Turning the GC drive in to a park is cool with me as long as the plants (and whatever else they might include) don't draw the eye too much from street level. The building is just so beautiful and deserves to stand out, especially at night.

Edit: I just noticed that one of these twins has bracings ala Big John, and the other does not. Very cool.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 1:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Edit: I just noticed that one of these twins has bracings ala Big John, and the other does not. Very cool.
They're not really twins, just about the same height. BTW, earlier on the news I heard people actually being suportive of the idea of the observation platform/wheel. Surprising. I don't think it would be built, not in that form. But I think the excitement from some of the ideas that will be presented today will encourage similar ideas for what eventually does get built. Maybe they need to step it up again over on the west side.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:12 PM
DENNAB

That would be so awesome if that got built, dear god!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive