HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
I was told by someone in the real estate biz and involved with an alternative, independent pitch to Amazon here that there was always only three cities in contention: Austin, Philadelphia and Chicago. I really hope they're right.
Without getting into it, there is one very good reason why I doubt Amazon will end up in Austin. The relatively moderate (read business conservative) Speaker of the Texas house is resigning. If the ensuing race for Speaker goes in favor of a candidate with more religious conservative leanings Texas will be up to its knees in bathroom bills and other socially conservative legislation right at the time Amazon is building its first building. I doubt Amazon would be willing to take that risk, given their stated preferences. Austin is liberal, but it's the politics of Texas as a whole that matter.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39.95n View Post
Without getting into it, there is one very good reason why I doubt Amazon will end up in Austin. The relatively moderate (read business conservative) Speaker of the Texas house is resigning. If the ensuing race for Speaker goes in favor of a candidate with more religious conservative leanings Texas will be up to its knees in bathroom bills and other socially conservative legislation right at the time Amazon is building its first building. I doubt Amazon would be willing to take that risk, given their stated preferences. Austin is liberal, but it's the politics of Texas as a whole that matter.
I would think the well-known business friendly advantages in Texas would outweigh bathroom bills. I think you're putting too much stock in a relatively minor social issue bill over the something more concrete and relevant to a business's bottom line in taxes. It's not even comparable.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Taller than Cira Centre for sure. Looks to be 40 floors. That design seems to match this rendering we've seen recently
The bottom portion is clearly different in the new rendering, as it now sticks out. Personally, if it weren't for the awful change of color at the very bottom, I would like this new version more. Regardless it's nice to see a new building in this city finally take some chances.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond LuxuryYacht View Post
I would think the well-known business friendly advantages in Texas would outweigh bathroom bills. I think you're putting too much stock in a relatively minor social issue bill over the something more concrete and relevant to a business's bottom line in taxes. It's not even comparable.
"Hold my beer." -Charlotte

In all seriousness, I would've agreed with you 2 years ago. But North Carolina has lost an estimated $3.6 billion from its transgender bathroom bill. Ringo Starr cancelled a concert there, the NCAA has avoided the state, the NAACP organized an economic boycott, and most significantly, PayPal abandoned plans to set up facilities in Charlotte that would have brought an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy. That's just a few examples. Now all the actor's could be lying, but the bathroom bill is their stated reasons. All things being equal, companies care about this stuff nowadays, and there are a lot of other concrete advantages that put other cities'states with more aligned social views on equal footing to Austin.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
"Hold my beer." -Charlotte

In all seriousness, I would've agreed with you 2 years ago. But North Carolina has lost an estimated $3.6 billion from its transgender bathroom bill. Ringo Starr cancelled a concert there, the NCAA has avoided the state, the NAACP organized an economic boycott, and most significantly, PayPal abandoned plans to set up facilities in Charlotte that would have brought an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy. That's just a few examples. Now all the actor's could be lying, but the bathroom bill is their stated reasons. All things being equal, companies care about this stuff nowadays, and there are a lot of other concrete advantages that put other cities'states with more aligned social views on equal footing to Austin.
One issue with all the examples you cited with the exception of PayPal...they were individuals or organizations and not companies, so the rationale is not going to be exactly the same. Again, I think a potential bathroom bill that'll be out of the spotlight in 6 months is being overstated when Amazon is contemplating a major business move that'll involves dropping $5 Billion in investment....Call me a cynic, but I really don't think a theorized bill like this enters the equation with that much at stake monetarily.

Last edited by Raymond LuxuryYacht; Nov 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM. Reason: OCD

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 11:56 AM

Estimated heights for each tower

1,095 FT - 70 FLOORS - 3101 Market Street
725 FT - 48 FLOORS - 3125 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
515 FT - 42 FLOORS - 3001 Chestnut Street
435 FT - 36 FLOORS - 3151 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
425 FT - 30 FLOORS - 3000 Market Street
385 FT - 28 FLOORS - 3020 Market Street
380 FT - 28 FLOORS - 3003 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
375 FT - 31 FLOORS - 3151 Market Street

Well unless there has been a dramatic change .... 3003 JFK listed at 28 floors .
...... PS , Cira Center is listed at 437' .........

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
who is and isnt business friendly in an incentive rich environment means nothing. IT's already been established that states of all kinds are offering GENEROUS incentives to amazon that will insulate them from their normal tax structure. who cares about PA or NY or IL being supposedly anti business when amazon wont pay many taxes in any of them?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
who is and isnt business friendly in an incentive rich environment means nothing. IT's already been established that states of all kinds are offering GENEROUS incentives to amazon that will insulate them from their normal tax structure. who cares about PA or NY or IL being supposedly anti business when amazon wont pay many taxes in any of them?
Completely agree here. We shouldn't focus on all of the other competitor cities. Many put together generous packages and those cities are they way they are and Philly is what it is. None of that will change in the immediate future or has changed in the few months Amazon set off this bidding war.

What I care about. Between the official Philly proposal and now the existence of the separate Brandywine proposal, IMO Philly really stepped up to the plate on this. I was fearful that the proposal might lack the "wow factor" to demonstrate how much of a great fit the city is for Amazon. Currently, I feel the exact opposite. From what has been made public, I feel like Philly hit a home run (well a triple for now, if we win, a home run). If Philly loses this, I won't feel as though the city really sh*t the bed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:15 PM

3003 JFK - Schuylkill Yards Phase I - 570 FT - 38 FLOORS - Thread here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post7980898

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:17 PM

^^A separate thread has been created for the first tower in the Schuylkill Yards development - 3003 JFK Blvd. The estimated height is 38 floors and 570 feet tall. All news on 3003 JFK will go in that thread. All news for future phases will remain in this thread.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:56 PM

Work Officially Begins on Schuylkill Yards

Read more here:
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/1...uylkill-yards/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
^^A separate thread has been created for the first tower in the Schuylkill Yards development - 3003 JFK Blvd. The estimated height is 38 floors and 570 feet tall. All news on 3003 JFK will go in that thread. All news for future phases will remain in this thread.
I know it's not really in your hands but any way mods can get a hold of whoever necessary to add this thread to the Philadelphia Projects and Construction subforum?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I know it's not really in your hands but any way mods can get a hold of whoever necessary to add this thread to the Philadelphia Projects and Construction subforum?
Already did. It will be added shortly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
You might very well be correct about Texas, "I know nothing". But is that all that much different from our good State of Pa, where the State house regularly tries to make it almost impossible for the City to act on it's own, especially if the direction is at all 'progressive'; think about gun control. I realize this is a stereotype, but I'd say the most of the people who live in 80% of the land mass of PA would be ok being having the same laws and mind set as the folk in TX.

As its regularly been mentioned on this site, a great many people in PA truly despise the City and think (wrongly) of it as a giant black hole where most of the states taxes go to support people on welfare.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Completely agree here. We shouldn't focus on all of the other competitor cities. Many put together generous packages and those cities are they way they are and Philly is what it is. None of that will change in the immediate future or has changed in the few months Amazon set off this bidding war.

What I care about. Between the official Philly proposal and now the existence of the separate Brandywine proposal, IMO Philly really stepped up to the plate on this. I was fearful that the proposal might lack the "wow factor" to demonstrate how much of a great fit the city is for Amazon. Currently, I feel the exact opposite. From what has been made public, I feel like Philly hit a home run (well a triple for now, if we win, a home run). If Philly loses this, I won't feel as though the city really sh*t the bed.
Exactly. As I've said before, there's always been that one city, seemingly on a weekly basis, that was going to beat us. Now we've become the city to beat. We have the city and Brandywine vouching for us, we have Schuylkill Yards under construction, and a new ad campaign in Seattle. I've not yet been more confident in our odds of winning. Not to sound cocky of course.

Quote:
You know, over on the New York boards, each building in the Hudson Yards development has its own thread. I have a feeling Schuylkill Yards will be the same way, once everything starts coming up.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Exactly. As I've said before, there's always been that one city, seemingly on a weekly basis, that was going to beat us. Now we've become the city to beat. We have the city and Brandywine vouching for us, we have Schuylkill Yards under construction, and a new ad campaign in Seattle. I've not yet been more confident in our odds of winning. Not to sound cocky of course.

You know, over on the New York boards, each building in the Hudson Yards development has its own thread. I have a feeling Schuylkill Yards will be the same way, once everything starts coming up.
Yes. I plan on creating new threads for each tower.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Already did. It will be added shortly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Completely and totally agree with you (first time for everything )

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You might be right, you might be wrong, but these "minor social issues" matter a lot to Bezos. I don't know his mind any more than the next person, but I think it has the potential to be more of a factor than you think. Coincidentally CNN did something on this in the last couple of days.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/07/tech...aws/index.html

These social issues also affect recruitment, which very much matters to Amazon, and indeed all companies.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
You might be right, you might be wrong, but these "minor social issues" matter a lot to Bezos. I don't know his mind any more than the next person, but I think it has the potential to be more of a factor than you think. Coincidentally CNN did something on this in the last couple of days.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/07/tech...aws/index.html

These social issues also affect recruitment, which very much matters to Amazon, and indeed all companies.
With the amount of companies speaking out against the transgender bathroom bills, it would probably be bad PR if they were to build in a state that had one. Granted, as the CNN article said, neither of them became law, and we don't know if they're coming back, but you never know. And if they're not going to pay the taxes in Illinois or Pennsylvania that other companies would, these controversies give them all the more reason to not go there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals