HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 10:04 PM

That's great that they're breaking ground on the residences. I don't get out to WVC much at all, but I happened to be there last week where the new trax line and the new hotel are and all that, and I was kind of amazed at how that area has improved. Definitely going in a good direction.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
If I recall correctly the Millcreek incorporation was defeated at the ballot. As for Cottonwood Heights, there aren't many unincorporated areas out there anymore, Cottonwood Heights incorporated in 2004. There are a few areas along Creek Road, the Willow Creek area, but other than that there aren't many. Salt Lake City wouldn't be able to annex that area into the city anyway, Willow Creek would have to either incorporate on their own and annex into Cottonwood Heights or Sandy. SLC can't simply go out and annex islands of unincorporated county, annexation have to have common borders. Millcreek, and Magna are the two most logical areas of annexation for SLC.

One thing that has to be considered in an annexation, more than just the number of residents added to the books is the cost of services into those areas. Is the increase in property tax and sales tax revenue enough to offset the cost of expanding services, police, fire, garbage, parks, etc. Another thing to consider is the residents have to actually want to be annexed into the city, it's obvious by the recent vote that they like the status quo of being in the county, either that or they didn't like the incorporation committee leadership team.

So while I agree that SLC needs to annex a couple of areas, without seeing the numbers I'm not sure I want them to.
That makes sense. I suppose most of the damage has been done by this point. If SLC were to have played a more active roll a hundred years ago before these outlying areas had many people, it would have been much easier than today. I think Millcreek is the most logical annexation. I used to work in that area and most people identify as being from SLC. Magna, on the other hand, I think would probably either become its own city or annex into West Valley before it would annex to SLC.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 6:35 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
That's great that they're breaking ground on the residences. I don't get out to WVC much at all, but I happened to be there last week where the new trax line and the new hotel are and all that, and I was kind of amazed at how that area has improved. Definitely going in a good direction.
For reals, the city has come a long ways from just having a ghetto mall in the area. Can't wait to see what else the city has in store for this overall redevelopment in the area.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
There are some great opportunities for development right at the intersection of 2700 W and 3500 South; the north side of 3500 in particular has some currently vacant sites that are prime pickings if someone had the vision to do it right.

Oh, and if they had money. Money would be good.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
For reals, the city has come a long ways from just having a ghetto mall in the area.
Yeah, I'm interested to see what their plans are for the mall itself. I've been to the mall area more times in the last year than I had been in the ten years before that, but still haven't actually gone IN the building more than twice. I've heard that the mall is supposed to be worked on in 2013, but I don't know that I've seen what the final plans are for it. It'll be interesting. With everything else they seem to be doing right, hopefully they can pull off some kind of miracle there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:07 PM

Vista station and prison from the air I know a little late!

Last edited by tadsol18; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM. Reason: fix pictures

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:24 PM

BTY those pictures were taken with a Iphone 5, out a tiny window so sorry not the best. Also so excited I'm moving to the Lionsgate apartments at 4500 S. next month. Ill be walking distance from Trax, and will be able to take trax to work at the airport!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 8:03 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Great shots of Vista Station. Looks like those were taken awhile back since the EBay building was still being built. Speaking of Vista Station has there been any other buildings that have since broke ground? I remember seeing a few renderings of two six story buildings the last time driving by. Anything worth checking out?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 2:10 PM

Thanks and the Picts where taken 2 weeks ago

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:35 PM

Hello, I've been watching the transit and urban developments in the Salt Lake City area for a while and I find it pretty intersting the efforts to build TOD that you are doing.

I think the efforts of building all these TOD's in the SLC area is like no other place in the U.S. Maybe Denver comes close, but I think that SLC is ahead in actually building them (coincidentally, both are the biggest mountain cities of the U.S. and both are the capital and biggest cities at the same time of their respective states) . I've seen at least four large areas of development already happening or about to happen: Daybreak, Murray Station, Fairbourne Station and Bangerter Station. Those developments alone will add thousands of new apartments plus reatail and office space to the Trax lines plus thousands more in smaller projects scattered along the TRAX.

Maybe Daybreak stands out as the largest one, in an area previously undeveloped. I made a secuency of the growth of this development, it seems that it is now the time of the more urban part, next to the two TRAX stations of the area.

2011 (most recent image in GE)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Amazing seeing just how much Daybreak has develop during these past nine years.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:30 PM
The Drifter

Seeing these pictures of the change the Day Break area has had over the past 8 years and then seeing the view I have of the Oquirrh Mountains from work, I wonder if there are pictures that do the same for the mine. Would love to see the changes over the years on how the mine has grown.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 5:32 PM

I hadn't been aware that the Oquirrh Lake had also expanded so much.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 PM

West Valley City was recognized by Urban Land Institute as an example of city being developer. Here's the article:
http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/20...asterDeveloper

Quote:
Urbanizing suburbs face many challenges. Low-density development patterns prevail. Market forces traditionally dictate high parking ratios that consume large quantities of land and reduce land values. Lower land values make it expensive and difficult to support structured parking. Wider streets to accommodate higher traffic volumes must be longer to reach lower-density developed uses. Single-use zoning eliminates the potential for shared parking, which in turn decreases the efficiency of surface parking, increases the amount needed, and reduces its economic value

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:24 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I love Urban Land Magazine. I miss getting it in the mail.

Once again I applaud WVC for their vision and embracing the potential of Transit Oriented Development. I have driven around Fairbourne Station in the past week and the potential for future expansion directly west of the current area is incredible. Once you go west of where the apartments will be it goes right back to single level, single and multi family housing units. There is also great potential for the "city center" to expand across the street to the south.

Well done WVC

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:40 AM

/\/\/\ I had a subscription and a membership for a while. I loved the magazine. It showcased so many cool developments, and there were excellent research articles in there about sustainable developments, etc. I don't have it any more because it was expensive. $300 to $500 annually??

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
/\/\/\ I had a subscription and a membership for a while. I loved the magazine. It showcased so many cool developments, and there were excellent research articles in there about sustainable developments, etc. I don't have it any more because it was expensive. $300 to $500 annually??
I let mine expire too. Maybe this will be the year I renew.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Hello, I've been watching the transit and urban developments in the Salt Lake City area for a while and I find it pretty intersting the efforts to build TOD that you are doing.

I think the efforts of building all these TOD's in the SLC area is like no other place in the U.S. Maybe Denver comes close, but I think that SLC is ahead in actually building them (coincidentally, both are the biggest mountain cities of the U.S. and both are the capital and biggest cities at the same time of their respective states) . I've seen at least four large areas of development already happening or about to happen: Daybreak, Murray Station, Fairbourne Station and Bangerter Station. Those developments alone will add thousands of new apartments plus reatail and office space to the Trax lines plus thousands more in smaller projects scattered along the TRAX.

Maybe Daybreak stands out as the largest one, in an area previously undeveloped. I made a secuency of the growth of this development, it seems that it is now the time of the more urban part, next to the two TRAX stations of the area.

2011 (most recent image in GE)
Thanks for the recognition. Where are you from?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:27 PM

new office park in Park City

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:45 PM

Fairbourne Station at West Valley City

I read the article that I posted previously regarding this, and looked it up on the development consultants website. I think this is the best image we've seen so far. It looks very nice. However, the scale of the blocks are too large:
Quote:
It is interesting to observe that none of those involved in planning for the site seems to have questioned the scale of Salt Lake City’s ten-acre block sizes as inhibiting pedestrian-focused, mixed-use, urban, transit-oriented development. Neither Portland’s 200-by-200-foot (61 by 61 m) block sizes, nor Manhattan’s 200-foot (61 m) cross street lengths, nor Savannah’s fine-grained division of ten-acre (4 ha ) wards seems to have been noted in planning efforts.
Quote:
It is instructive to observe the power of images that the city has cited to envision its new urban heart. Cottle says the original vision of city leaders was to create a place like a Main Street lined with ten-story buildings—their perception of Portland’s Pearl District. However, three of that district’s buildings exceed that height, and early development of the Pearl was exclusively four-story buildings over podium parking. West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder terms the Promenade, "a four-acre linear green space promenade that will act as a mini–Central Park in our mini-Manhattan."
Here is some info regarding the new Apartment buildings. Apparently, they will be constructed this year, and will be 5 stories (1 story parking with retail + 4 stories residential)
Quote:
The apartment structures are four-story buildings with 256 parking spaces on the ground floor,
Also, a new Office building, parking structure, and new city library and offices are in the works.

Here's the link once again: http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/20...asterDeveloper

Another link: http://www.fairbournestation.com/index.php

Here's the timeline:

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West