HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 7:02 PM

I live in West Broadway, my office is downtown (though I work about 50% of the time at home now), and I also don't own a car. I do all my grocery shopping at Foodfare at Maryland and Westminster. It would take me more time to get in a car and park my car again than to just walk. Transit is pretty good and frequent heading downtown, and its only a 20 minute walk to the office. My building has no parking and maybe has one unit that isn't leased.

I might consider joining a Car co-op for the odd time I want to go somewhere far.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 7:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Scott Block on Main has no parking and is full.
Porter Building is full with no parking.
West Broadway Commons has 10 stalls for 110 suites.
290 Colony has almost no parking.

What's funny is that I'm working on a residential project on Osborne and one in the middle of downtown. Both the same scale. The downtown one has no parking requirement, even though downtown has so few amenities that a car is almost needed. On Osborne there needs to be one parking spot provided for every suite, yet it is a rare Winnipeg complete neighbourhood that one can quite comfortably live without owning a car.

Moral of the story is there should be no parking minimums anywhere. Let developers decide.

I feel like I typed this already...getting old.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:28 PM

I'm going to wager a bet that the people moving into the exchange are the type of people who are not car centric.

Transit service is on Lily or Main St., which serves the east exchange.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:28 PM
Formerly rypinion

Just to add to all the other confirmations, live on Waterfront, no car, but use the car co-op frequently. Walk to/from work and daycare, car co-op or bike for groceries.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I live in Norwood, have an office in the Exchange. Used to have a car but got rid of it 2 years ago as I was not using it very much. I usually get big grocery orders delivered and go to No Frills for produce 1-2 times a week. The odd time I need to "drive" anywhere far out of the way I just Uber.

Moving to the Exchange in April, everything I do is around here. Not having a place like No Frills for quick basic groceries super close isn't ideal, but there's options not too far, like Young's. Sky Convenience is great in a pinch. Will probably join the car co-op if I feel like I'm needing one a bit more. But still, Ubering here and there is significantly cheaper than the cost of car ownership and maintenance, insurance, and parking. It's just not necessary for me.
Very glad to hear your migrating to the Exchange. That is just what the area needs, more people like you! Bring your friends and thank you! ( I got a spot for you to park if you need it. Lol)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Moving to the Exchange in April, everything I do is around here. Not having a place like No Frills for quick basic groceries super close isn't ideal, but there's options not too far, like Young's. Sky Convenience is great in a pinch. Will probably join the car co-op if I feel like I'm needing one a bit more. But still, Ubering here and there is significantly cheaper than the cost of car ownership and maintenance, insurance, and parking. It's just not necessary for me.
The No Frills at Notre Dame & Langside is excellent (more selection than the St. Boniface one) and not much of a walk from the west Exchange. Might be too much of a hike if you're farther east.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Scott Block on Main has no parking and is full.
Porter Building is full with no parking.
West Broadway Commons has 10 stalls for 110 suites.
290 Colony has almost no parking.

What's funny is that I'm working on a residential project on Osborne and one in the middle of downtown. Both the same scale. The downtown one has no parking requirement, even though downtown has so few amenities that a car is almost needed. On Osborne there needs to be one parking spot provided for every suite, yet it is a rare Winnipeg complete neighbourhood that one can quite comfortably live without owning a car.

Moral of the story is there should be no parking minimums anywhere. Let developers decide.

I feel like I typed this already...getting old.
Parking requirement is just such an antiquated idea IMO. Like you said, let the developers decide what they think they can market and sell/rent. They are the ones who want to fill their suites more than anyone, so I think they can decide what is best.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Its always the number one thing raised by community opposition....and the number one thing politicians fear. They believe that without parking being provided, the spot on the public street in front of their house that they inexplicably feel they own, will be used by someone else who doesn't deserve it as much as they do. Its like trespassing to them.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Its always the number one thing raised by community opposition....and the number one thing politicians fear. They believe that without parking being provided, the spot on the public street in front of their house that they inexplicably feel they own, will be used by someone else who doesn't deserve it as much as they do. Its like trespassing to them.
This isn't even exaggeration. In a different Canadian city, I once had a guy burst out of his house and start punching my car while shouting at me that I was parking in "his wife's spot" on the public road, and I was trespassing. No escalation, just instant rage.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:05 PM

^ What a psycho.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is, most of the complaints are probably coming from people that don't live or work there. Some Browaty stan that lives off Chief Peguis freaking out that maybe they'll have to walk 3 minutes to get to MTC during their annual visit to the Exchange.

It's like the P&M debate – the people that are actually affected the most were overwhelmingly in favour.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:45 PM

^ The very idea of a Browaty stan… heaven help them

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:55 PM
surely you agree with me

I remember being at a public consultation for a project in st. boniface and this guy burst into the room screaming that I was destroying his neighbourhood. I asked him what the problem was. He said he has parking spaces on his street in front of his house and any new development might cause someone else to use them. As we talked it came out that he has three parking spaces on his property. He rents out two to people who work at the hospital and third is for his boat in the winter.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
This isn't even exaggeration. In a different Canadian city, I once had a guy burst out of his house and start punching my car while shouting at me that I was parking in "his wife's spot" on the public road, and I was trespassing. No escalation, just instant rage.
I've heard about this in various cities. People putting out lawn chairs to protect "thier spot". People clear spots of snow, so now they get it forever. etc.

My parents live in suburban Winnipeg and the guy who lived across the street was so pissed that my parents parked one of their old cars in front of his house all the time that he stole one of those temporary street cleaning no parking signs and stuck it in front of his house. He didn't even park his car there, he just thought my parents car was ugly (I knew the guys nephew and he relayed this information to me). People are nuts.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:15 AM

At risk of taking this further off the topic of 90 Alexander, the City just put out an engagement survey for their Parking Strategy.

Survey here

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:37 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ What a psycho.
Residential street parking in central Toronto is assigned to residents, in the evening and overnight. Someone coming from Winnipeg might not realize that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:44 PM

Piling

Piling has started on this project

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:37 AM

Just to add to the parking discussion. I live on James Ave and it was 5 years as of January 1 with no car. Am a frequent Car Co-op user and will never go back to car ownership.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:04 AM

Parking

219 Vaughn 30 Units, no parking, 98% full always...
399 Graham 30 Units, no parking, 98% full always ...

Different people who live DT have different needs it seems...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:57 AM

Quote:
I'm working on a residential project on Osborne
Go on....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan