HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:59 PM

I know in rugby in NZ they do weight classes instead of age grades, I wonder if something like that would help football mitigate some of those concerns from parents.

I do think that eventually there will need to a fairly big change in how the game is played, not sure how tough.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I know in rugby in NZ they do weight classes instead of age grades, I wonder if something like that would help football mitigate some of those concerns from parents.

I do think that eventually there will need to a fairly big change in how the game is played, not sure how tough.
Weight classes make sense. Or at least adding different levels. When I was a kid there was no junior varsity high school football in Winnipeg, it was just one big division. So you had situations where it was not unusual to have a 15 or 16 year old lining up against a 19 year old, which IMO is not really safe unless you are dealing with an exceptionally large/strong/skilled 15/16 year old. There can be a pretty substantial size/strength differential.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Go BMHS
I worked there a hundred years ago. Interesting premise for a school, start a "vocational" school with a 95%? male student population, and what do you build, a theatre or a gym? They chose a theatre They finally built the gym 20 some years later.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 9:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I worked there a hundred years ago. Interesting premise for a school, start a "vocational" school with a 95%? male student population, and what do you build, a theatre or a gym? They chose a theatre They finally built the gym 20 some years later.
It was converted into a regular high school about 20 years ago. There have been quite a few renovations. They have a nice artificial turf football field in behind, next to Centennial Park with a nice set of bleachers

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 3:20 AM

How Cory Chamblin was hired back in Toronto is beyond me. The Argos have looked confused and lost at times tonight.

What a spectacular mess in the Big Smoke.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It was converted into a regular high school about 20 years ago. There have been quite a few renovations. They have a nice artificial turf football field in behind, next to Centennial Park with a nice set of bleachers
They took away the best kept secret, the tennis courts Used to go there with a friend, nobody ever went there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
How Cory Chamblin was hired back in Toronto is beyond me. The Argos have looked confused and lost at times tonight.

What a spectacular mess in the Big Smoke.
Kind of funny, Chamblin and Chapdelaine strike me as reasonably credible coaches but their team is in complete disarray... shockingly so. The other weak sister teams have some strengths, but Toronto is just a mess through and through.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 11:29 PM

Congratulations to the Alouettes on a great victory. They seem much more organized with Khari as coach and they have a real identity now. Hopefully this can help revitalize Alouettes attendance again.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

It's amazing the size range of similarly aged kids. My son played 5 years of London minor from 4th to 8th grade. His first year, his tyke team won the championship and played an all star team from Windsor. They had a kid, 9 years old same as my son, who was 6 foot and 170 pounds. My son wasn't even 100 pounds yet and he was the oldest kid on the team. He loved the game, but after 5 years, he decided that was enough and didn't pursue it in high school. I kind of wish he had, for the exercise, sense of teamwork and more chance of making friends, and also because we loved watching the games and being part of it all, but he was also worried about injury and the game in high school is a lot more physical. We supported his choice of course, and he does other stuff now that he enjoys.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 12:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Congratulations to the Alouettes on a great victory. They seem much more organized with Khari as coach and they have a real identity now. Hopefully this can help revitalize Alouettes attendance again.
Montreal looking much more solid than expected.

Ottawa looks to have been overrated in pre season predictions.

Toronto is a total train wreck.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal looking much more solid than expected.

Ottawa looks to have been overrated in pre season predictions.

Toronto is a total train wreck.
So Toronto is the trainwreck now I kept telling everybody last year Montreal was not a bad team just missing a few pieces and look at them now.

On the good news side, did anyone notice how many Montreal fans were in Ottawa, this team isn't as dead as people liked to say it would be.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 2:59 PM

Just when you think the ship is heading in the right directing for the Als, they fire their GM. I actually like the move just interesting timing after two wins.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 7:34 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Just when you think the ship is heading in the right directing for the Als, they fire their GM. I actually like the move just interesting timing after two wins.
Odd timing indeed. I wonder if it's a pre-condition of the league's sale to a new owner?

GM by committee for now. If Mack will mainly be taking care of the housekeeping for the rest of the year, before a new GM is brought aboard to continue the rebuild, that may be ok but his last run as a GM in this league really tried the patience of Bomber fans.

"Joe Mack will now have oversight of all football operations, but the team will be jointly managed with Khari Jones,” Alouettes president Patrick Boivin said in a statement. “Specifically, coach Jones will now be responsible for our active roster on a daily basis, and Joe will oversee all player personnel and football operation matters, including salary cap, contracts, operations and logistics. Patrick Donovan remains Director of Football Operations."
https://3downnation.com/2019/07/14/a...er-kavis-reed/

Dunk thinks new owners wanted him gone (but if so, his use of "any" makes this doubly speculative):
https://twitter.com/JDunk12/status/1150416860183179265

Zurkowsky heard player agent Hardaway was asked about the job:
https://twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1/s...22651602685952

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 9:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

RDS ran special programming on the firing of the Als GM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 9:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
So Toronto is the trainwreck now I kept telling everybody last year Montreal was not a bad team just missing a few pieces and look at them now.

On the good news side, did anyone notice how many Montreal fans were in Ottawa, this team isn't as dead as people liked to say it would be.
Yes I noticed that too. Not sure if they were Montrealers or people from Gatineau.

Contrary to the Sens vs the Habs, the Redblacks dominate the Gatineau market. But there are still straggler Alouettes fans here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
RDS ran special programming on the firing of the Als GM
Here's the rumours I've read from the posted articles. He has allegedly figured out a system to circumvent the salary cap. He charged personal expenses like plane tickets to the Als and he also apparently did not pay his rent for quite a while and owes $6200 IIRC.

Even though the Als may be close to a sale it is for this alleged misconduct, he had to go.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Good Lord, I hope not

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
One or Two parents or caregivers pay a regular price and pre teens get in free (up to four) and teens are 1/2 price. That may allow lower income folks to attend a few games and make fans of the kids.

Lets face it though, the CFL is the red headed step child of Canadian Professional sports especially in Toronto and I have zero idea (since I'm from the demographic that urban professionals like to sneer at. ) how to change that.
It's an uphill battle for the CFL. Places Like Vancouver and Toronto it's tough, and even in Calgary where they've had a good product on the field for years, they still have to deal with people like this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Looks like Stamps attendance went down again last year even though it was a championship season.

Makes no sense to build an expensive larger stadium for them when they aren't even using all the seats in the current one. Of course the ownership hasn't helped, by consistently increasing prices and charging an arm and a leg for a beer. Apparently $10 for a cup of horse piss.

In 2009, average attendance at McMahon was 36,502 on average. Now it is sitting at 23,000 per game, a 35% drop.

I the CFL has gotta go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
You're right - the average is currently higher than I mistakenly stated, but the attendance has certainly dropped over the last decade, and certainly over the last four years.

For last year, how many games sold out for the 2018 season? McMahon has current capacity of 35,400. I'll tell ya'. ZERO. Even the 2018 West Final at McMahon didn't even break 30,000. That's gotta suck, I mean seriously?

The last time McMahon sold out was 7th September 2015 - almost four frickin' years ago, a year when they had four games over 30,000 and a low point of above 26,000.

The reality is pretty bad for Football, especially given the concussions - but not only that, youngsters just don't want to watch. It's an old man's game, and it's dying.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

IF they built a new stadium there is no way it would be bigger than current capacity, it would be smaller.

Also I don't think its an old mans game. I'm relatively young and the amount of betting action football gets from people my age is astronomical. As long as there is betting, ppl will pay attention to football, especially the NFL.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
IF they built a new stadium there is no way it would be bigger than current capacity, it would be smaller.

Also I don't think its an old mans game. I'm relatively young and the amount of betting action football gets from people my age is astronomical. As long as there is betting, ppl will pay attention to football, especially the NFL.
Totally agree. The plan is to build one around the same size and maybe slightly smaller. In line with the new crop of CFL stadiums that have been built. Plus his comment about the Stamps average attendance was totally incorrect.

As far as his comments go about being an old man's game and that it's gotta go. He's an asshat, and does this stuff all the time to get a rise out of people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada