HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How many units are in that building? looks like 7 per floor on the one side. Since there doesn't appear to be a central hallway, do the units stretch all the way across the building? So 35 units?
First page of the Winnipeg construction thread says 28 in the first phase and 65 in the second, although I thought I remember seeing 35 and 70 in this thread

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How many units are in that building? looks like 7 per floor on the one side. Since there doesn't appear to be a central hallway, do the units stretch all the way across the building? So 35 units?
Floor 1 & 2 are combined two storey units same with floor 4 & 5.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't really understand why everyone's freaking out over the ends of the pumphouse being partially blocked from view. It's nothing that special or overly nice compared to the entire half block length that's still fully exposed along James.
Notwithstanding the "view" of the Pumphouse will look just fine for those on walking or or actually stopping to appreciate it. Sure it will likely be missed by those in vehicles travelling by 50kmh but what isn't really?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Notwithstanding the "view" of the Pumphouse will look just fine for those on walking or or actually stopping to appreciate it. Sure it will likely be missed by those in vehicles travelling by 50kmh but what isn't really?
Don't agree, the stilts, stairwells and now growth on the bottom of the new building obliterates pretty much of what there was to see, the front facade should have just been incorporated into the interior of the new building or not at all.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:02 PM
BANNED

guess people will have to get out of their car to see it up close!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't agree, the stilts, stairwells and now growth on the bottom of the new building obliterates pretty much of what there was to see, the front facade should have just been incorporated into the interior of the new building or not at all.
Very hyperbolic! I live down the street and have been up close on multiple occasions... I love it! My neighbors do too. It's a perfect juxtaposition of old and new and the old facade has certainly not been "obliterated"... relax.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:51 PM

There's this crazy idea floating around out their. New fandangled wizardry. Most people have one. It's called an opinion. Which one may or may not agree with.

Some like it, some don't. Just like pretty much everything.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:12 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Very hyperbolic! I live down the street and have been up close on multiple occasions... I love it! My neighbors do too. It's a perfect juxtaposition of old and new and the old facade has certainly not been "obliterated"... relax.
Agree, live next door.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:34 PM

Photos from yesterday afternoon:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:35 PM
BANNED

^ Where's the Pump House? And we saved it because?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:47 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^

....because it is absolutely beautiful inside and we saved and incredible historic building. You just can't see it from the river anymore. Better than letting it rot for another 20 years.

Remember, you could have bought it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:23 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^

....because it is absolutely beautiful inside and we saved and incredible historic building. You just can't see it from the river anymore. Better than letting it rot for another 20 years.

Also better than leave a developable lot empty to see the least interesting or remarkable small part of the building. Can still see the inside and entire long side of the building. More than enough.

I wish they blocked the whole end and built a “normal” building.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:55 AM
Starring as himself

Probably not a lot of value in the ground floors of these buildings. Saves a lot of headaches to do the "stilts" style and have all your apartments be marketably distant from ground level. That's my guess, anyway.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:18 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Probably not a lot of value in the ground floors of these buildings. Saves a lot of headaches to do the "stilts" style and have all your apartments be marketably distant from ground level. That's my guess, anyway.
New development in Winnipeg does seem allergic to ground level retail, this is a nice solution to that!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:27 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
New development in Winnipeg does seem allergic to ground level retail, this is a nice solution to that!
True, there just isn't a demand for that kind of retail, or any kind of retail really, in this age of Amazon and Costco. Even in Toronto those ground-level units don't always fill up very fast.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 10:33 AM

All in all, it’s unfortunate the view of the pump house from waterfront was lost. It should have been restored and turned into an active working museum. That won’t happen now. The building is one of the most beautiful buildings in the exchange, and one of the most important historical buildings in the city, it’s caged in now. The peaked roof lines, the large window arches and unique brick work are all hidden from view. Poor form. What should have been a transition space between the exchange and the waterfront, is now... well I don’t even know what the fuck it is... a plaza?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 11:46 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The good thing is that in a few decades, if people decide at the time that the new construction obscures the old pumphouse too much the new can be demo'd and something else incorporated better.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
All in all, it’s unfortunate the view of the pump house from waterfront was lost. It should have been restored and turned into an active working museum. That won’t happen now. The building is one of the most beautiful buildings in the exchange, and one of the most important historical buildings in the city, it’s caged in now. The peaked roof lines, the large window arches and unique brick work are all hidden from view. Poor form. What should have been a transition space between the exchange and the waterfront, is now... well I don’t even know what the fuck it is... a plaza?
Well I think the solution for the Pumphouse and new rental housing is a fantastic solution and addition to Waterfront and the city. Hats off to the developer to be progressive enough to buy into the architectural solution. Hecate, you must really walk into the Pumphouse today and see how it’s being used... full of creative people being productive. I don’t believe you would find one grumpy person complaining about their work environment.

Go have a beer in the afternoon at Nonsuch and walk around the development and see how you feel when up close and personal. Nothing is hidden when you walk around it...

Enjoy the afternoon!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:31 PM
Starring as himself

I wouldn’t complain too much that that building was saved and imaginatively reused. I’m not convinced that gazing at the pumping station from the Red River was really all that iconic a Winnipeg experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan