HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
We haven't seen the Vermont here for a little bit, so I thought I'd show some progress they've made on the podium. It looks like most of the bottom 3 floors facing Wilshire Boulevard will get some glass, and some decorative panels are going up on the floors above that. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

I'm dumbstruck as to why they didn't add balconies to this building! Given the climate in L.A., I'd demand a balcony, to eat some meals, read a book, watch a sunset, or even sleep out there at night!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I'm dumbstruck as to why they didn't add balconies to this building! Given the climate in L.A., I'd demand a balcony, to eat some meals, read a book, watch a sunset, or even sleep out there at night!
Nah that would be too Miamish

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Nah that would be too Miamish
not really, there are many buildings in LA with balconies. I dont mind if/ or if it didnt have balconies both would fir well in LA, but mostly balconies and towers go on the beach cities and westside.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:42 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

+1, City of Los Angeles

Quote:
City makes a move to buy Taylor Yard riverfront parcel

By Tony Cella
December 19, 2013

The City Council has moved to begin negotiations to buy more than 40 acres of the former Taylor Yard rail yard on the border of Cypress Park and Glassell Park and turn the contaminated land into public green space and restored wetlands along the L.A. River.

City staff has been directed to “immediately enter” into negotiations with Union Pacific Railroad Company to purchase what is known as Taylor Yard parcel G2, a 42-acre wedge of riverfront that sits between the L.A. River and Rio de Los Angeles State Park. The city has been interested in purchasing the property, which has been described as a “crown jewel” of riverfront properties, for more than a decade.

“The site is ideal for the development of a vast wetlands/water cleansing landscape and public green space in an area of the city with limited open space,” according to the motion by Councilman Gil Cedillo. “If the Taylor Yard G2 parcel is acquired, it will be the region’s premiere urban ecosystem, greenspace-supporting riparian habitat, diverse native vegetation and abundant wildlife.”

The motion was approved by the City council but how much is this going to cost? Cedillo declined to comment for this story but at one point about $25 million in Prop. 0 funds - used to for clean-water projects – had been budgeted for the project. A spokesman for councilmember Mitch O’Farrell said that the price of the parcel is not known.

The negotiations to buy the property were given the green light as city and other local leaders lobby for a $1 billion plan to restore the L.A. River.
http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/1...rfront-parcel/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Thought this was worth posting... Emerson College and Sunset Gordon in the same photo (taken about a month ago), along with the Technicolor Building that opened 5 years ago. Hollywood is changing for the better. And as much as I love Arby's (along with In-N-Out, the only fast food I eat), its days are hopefully limited.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2316142...85073/sizes/l/

Close-up view and its impact at street level...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2316142...58173/sizes/l/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 7:20 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Sunset Gordon, taken 2 months ago (yeah, I know). I remember being very underwhelmed with the facade. Perhaps it was the lighting? It looks pretty good here on a bright, sunny day.

And I must say that I'm bitterly disappointed in the decision to demolish the vestige of the Old Spaghetti Factory. It was integrated beautifully into the design, based on what I saw from the renderings. Oh well.

http://anotherperfectday.net/wp-cont...0/IMG_0512.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 4:14 PM

Sunset Gordon's facade looks quite a bit different than the renderings, put perhaps other elements will be added on later. I believed they're required to recreate the Old Spaghetti Factory facade on the ground floor of the new building, since the original structure was too decayed to save.

The nondescript buildings/Arby's to the east of Emerson are probably toast in the near to mid term future. Hudson Pacific Properties also wants to build an office building on the parking lot next to the Sunset Gordon tower, seen in first black and white pic.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Sunset Gordon's facade looks quite a bit different than the renderings, put perhaps other elements will be added on later. I believed they're required to recreate the Old Spaghetti Factory facade on the ground floor of the new building, since the original structure was too decayed to save.

The nondescript buildings/Arby's to the east of Emerson are probably toast in the near to mid term future. Hudson Pacific Properties also wants to build an office building on the parking lot next to the Sunset Gordon tower, seen in first black and white pic.
Yes I seem to remember the Old Spaghetti Factory was too far gone to use. Quixote those are some great shots of that stretch of Sunset. I think the Emerson Campus may be my favorite new development in the city. It's very striking in person, though your photos do great justice.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 7:23 PM
BANNED

i was conceived at that arby's, it will be sad to see it go

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 8:27 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaeculaSaeculorum View Post
i was conceived at that arby's, it will be sad to see it go
That explains everything!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 8:35 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
If they cover that podium, it will dramatically improve this project. lets hope the glass keeps on climbing up. thanks for the update
This rendering (and it looks a lot like the current product) clearly shows that part of the podium will be left exposed:

http://i.imgur.com/14gcqbA.jpg?1

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
This rendering (and it looks a lot like the current product) clearly shows that part of the podium will be left exposed:

http://i.imgur.com/14gcqbA.jpg?1
not necessarily. they're putting some white iron fencing on the top 3 levels of the parking podium right now. still ugly but not totally exposed. I don't understand why they just don't put some nice paneling that blends in

the towers are beautiful, the glass looked great on thursday when the storm clouds left a spectacular sunset.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 11:43 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ I see some of that so-called "iron fencing" in this rendering and the podium is still very conspicuous. Are they really so cheap that they can't simply cover 3 more decks with the same glass?

http://visitkoreatown.org/wp-content...horiz_crop.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Maybe it's open to diffuse carbon monoxide from cars or to keep the garage at a reasonable temp?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Maybe it's open to diffuse carbon monoxide from cars or to keep the garage at a reasonable temp?
All of these renderings and comments create interesting questions. Is there some sort of city building restriction which forbids the complete enclosure of a parking podium (e.g. hazardous fumes)? Are they supposed to be ventilated? Anyone know? I forgot the name of the design firm (Johnson Fain? Jerde Partnership?,) but I had the impression that they were pretty good. But then why the oddness of the podium? So far, any design work on the podium seems to clash with the intricate facade; why not just blend the damned things in and get finished, already? Too bad.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
But what about projects that have underground parking, what do they do?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 6:08 PM

Here's a picture from yesterday showing the work starting at Vine and Selma. The Sunset Gordon tower is also visible in the distance.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Good point. I'm sure they have huge fans to pump in fresh air. If the garage is underground then climate control isn't an issue. If it's above ground and wrapped in glass then I'd imagine temps would soar not only from sunlight but hot engines.

My apartment sits atop a two story garage with openings to the outside. There are carbon monoxide monitoring stations located throughout the garage even with the openings.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 9:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Enclosed parking garages, whether above or under ground, require pretty expensive ventilation and circulation systems to mitigate exposure to carbon monoxide from car exhaust. In the case of the Wilshire, the developers probably did the math on having a complete glass enclosure and a more expensive ventilation system on the garage portion, and opted for a more open design instead. It's a pity, because they easily could have made a partially covered glass enclosure that mimicked the fenestration pattern of the tower, with every other panel open air, and it would have looked a lot better and likely wouldn't have resulted in a more robust ventilation system. But I would wager that that would still add several million dollars to the cost of the project in materials and labor, so they took it out of the design from the get-go.

Sunset & Gordon looks pretty awfully value-engineered. Whoever thought those iron balcony railings would make a decent replacement within this design aesthetic should have their AIA membership revoked immediately. And be locked in a cell with the majority of TCA's design architects.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations