HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:26 AM
BANNED

^youre quite full of generalizations too. i'm the one getting more specific here. would you like to play along?

so are you suggesting that the ability of a demographic to collectively appreciate the kinds of issues we seem to value here (namely fine dining, architecture, and mass transit/urbanism) are completely divorced from the education and income levels of that demographic?

or are you overgeneralizing in the opposite direction to suggest that SF, Chi, and NY's respective reputations for their dining cultures (far better known than LA's, would you at least agree here?) are complete flukes and owe nothing to SF, Chi, and NY being super-yuppified cities?

and you still haven't answered my previous question- do you think that a random survey of angelenos will yield a populace which is as knowledgeable about haute cuisine, architecture, current events, geography (you know, the things we like to emulate here on ssp) as ones for SF, Chicago, and NY residents?

and to your self-righteously indignant point about yuppie culture being more valuable - answer me this - do you believe that haute cuisine is better appreciated by yuppies or blue collar folk?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
^youre quite full of generalizations too. i'm the one getting more specific here. would you like to play along?

so are you suggesting that the ability of a demographic to collectively appreciate the kinds of issues we seem to value here (namely fine dining, architecture, and mass transit/urbanism) are completely divorced from the education and income levels of that demographic?

or are you overgeneralizing in the opposite direction to suggest that SF, Chi, and NY's respective reputations for their dining cultures (far better known than LA's, would you at least agree here?) are complete flukes and owe nothing to SF, Chi, and NY being super-yuppified cities?

and you still haven't answered my previous question- do you think that a random survey of angelenos will yield a populace which is as knowledgeable about haute cuisine, architecture, current events, geography (you know, the things we like to emulate here on ssp) as ones for SF, Chicago, and NY residents?

and to your self-righteously indignant point about yuppie culture being more valuable - answer me this - do you believe that haute cuisine is better appreciated by yuppies or blue collar folk?
ed! Really, this is getting worse and worse.

Is that what you mean by "yuppified"? People who eat genuine rural Tuscan recipes with spoons actually made in Italy and never drink cappuccinos after breakfast and only from cups with no handles? I think "effete" or "bored silly" might be a better word.

Have you thought that maybe the cold weather in these cities makes indoor activities like degenerate gluttony the only escape from complete boredom? Why not look at the number of Ferrari's or Porsches or BMW's; or the number of yachts or sailboats; or world-class biking or tennis clubs; or the number of small, edgy theaters (LA probably surpasses NY and blows away the others). These seem to be closer to the idea of a Yuppie than number of restaurants.

In any event, LA consistently is ranked higher than any of those cities except NY as centers of such intangibles as cultural, economic, political and social power. So maybe seared ahi with mango chutney isn't everything.

I have nothing against good food, but why the fixation?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:39 PM

Getting back to development news, here's an email from someone I know who's visiting Santa Monica. There has been a bit of a spat on one of the neighborhood email listserves about the proposed development in Santa Monica without any off-street parking, as a similar project is proposed in Tenleytown here in DC. It would be 60 units without any parking. For rerference, Marilyn Simon is an obnoxious NIMBY.

" Well hello from Santa Monica, California.

Why, just the other day, I was down at the corner of Colorado and 4th, in downtown Santa Monica, where the infamous development without any parking was approved.

Let me respond to some of Marylin Simon's complaints:

(1) This project is located the "downtown core."

Santa Monica's Downtown Core is flatter and wider, but probably of the same density as Friendship Heights. It's almost certainly less dense than Clarendon, but the SFH areas don't start until much further out from the area of highest density.

(2) This project will have a density that is less than half what is being requested for the Babe's site, in spite of it being downtown and near transit.

Again, downtown is much smaller, but already there are 4-5 other developments happening nearby. Santa Monica is infilling and densifying.

(3) There are two municipal parking structures in the immediate area.

These parking structures do not provide long-term parking for residents. They are for tourists and people in transit-inaccessible areas, much like Bethesda's.

(4) It is located in the "City's Downtown Parking Assessment District," where off-street parking is not required providing the developer pays a fee.

(5) There will be 56 residential units, 48 studios and 8 one-bedroom units. The average size of the studio units is 360 square feet, and based on the sizes, 44 of the 56 units are considered "single room occupancy" units.

(6) The developer will be paying a transportation improvement contribution of $125,000 (in lieu of off-street parking) as well as a cultural arts fee of $84,510 and a childcare linkage fee of $52,799, and renting six affordable housing studio units, each with a rent that is $1,000 a month below the market rate, as required by the Santa Monica Municipal Code.

4 and 6 sound like something a PUD could take care of. 5 sounds like a misreading of the zoning code, and irrelevant."

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Getting back to development news, here's an email from someone I know who's visiting Santa Monica. There has been a bit of a spat on one of the neighborhood email listserves about the proposed development in Santa Monica without any off-street parking, as a similar project is proposed in Tenleytown here in DC. It would be 60 units without any parking. For rerference, Marilyn Simon is an obnoxious NIMBY.
I can understand the consternation about the Santa Monica project; this is car-happy Southern California after all...its going to take a while for everyone to get it. But the reaction to the Tenleytown project confuses me. DC is an inherently walkable place. Tons of residents get by without cars- even in upper NW (ahem...American University students anyone?)

I guess NIMBYs will be NIMBYs.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 2:01 AM

"completely divorced" - sorry, when did I say this? I don't think I even mentioned them being separate; I said there are more determinants of a good food culture or culture in general than the intelligence of the workers there, something that you still fail to realize. I never said they were divorced or completely separate. See, it's YOU who is making the hyperboles and generalizations here, not me. trying to get 'specific' but ignoring the rest of the issue.

oh and a good food scene is not limited to haute cuisine, how did you forget? tsk tsk.

Pesto is right. Look at the lists, the ratings, the rankings. Although we all know that we must take these with a grain of salt, LA always places in respectable positions and I must say that the public seem to agree.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:58 PM

High-rise planners do the Hollywood ruffle (LA Times)

What a bunch of obnoxious NIMBYs. Why invest billions of dollars in passenger rail if you're not going to build at least moderate density around the stations? Last I checked, Hollywood Blvd is a pretty major corridor. This presentation about development along the Orange line corridor in Arlington County, VA, should be essential reading. Before the Orange line, the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor was an aging corridor with some of the similar challenges as Hollywood. What the NIMBY neighbors seem incapable of understanding is that by having dense development within a 1/4 mile radius of the metro stations, you help protect the existing single-family residential homes elsewhere.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/department...ion_060107.pdf

High-rise planners do the Hollywood ruffle
Residents are livid over L.A. commission's proposed zoning changes that could make it easier to erect skyscrapers in the heart of Tinseltown. Mayor Villaraigosa has called it 'elegant density'; one neighbor calls it 'the rape of Hollywood.'

By Steve Lopez
December 24, 2011
Los Angeles Times

"If this is the season to be merry, many residents of Hollywood did not get the memo. Instead, they got a community development plan they look upon as their very own nightmare before Christmas.

It happened earlier this month, when the Los Angeles City Planning Commission approved zoning changes that could make it easier to erect skyscrapers in the heart of Hollywood, forever changing the scale of a historic neighborhood with international cachet. They say the high-rises will block views, throw shadows and obscure the landmark Capitol Records building, and make already unbearable traffic even worse.

The Hollywood Community Plan, headed to the City Council in a month or two for review and consideration, fits with what L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has called "elegant density," accommodating expected population growth by building mixed-use projects around transit hubs. And there is definitely something to be said for so-called smart growth, offering residents the option of using transit instead of cars..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnis...7072217.column

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 8:36 AM

I just raped the crap out of the LAT comments section... lol

Granted a couple pieces of it were false, but still...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 9:58 PM

Could someone please post an update on what projects are underconstruction and what are likely to start contruction next year.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 11:56 PM

^ Illithid Dude just posted updates on Downtown projects in the Downtown thread.

Maybe he'll do the same for the Metro thread.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:00 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ Illithid Dude just posted updates on Downtown projects in the Downtown thread.

Maybe he'll do the same for the Metro thread.
Well, okay then. I'm not sure if you mean pictures, or just the list that I did, but I've been meaning to go out and take pictures for a while, and I can do the list now.

Under Construction:

- Some huge building for a cancer research company in Santa Monica. It's massive. (three stories, but probobly 25 foot floor heights)

- Shore Hotel in Santa Monica just opened. It's pretty stunning at night. (four stories)

-Red Building in West Hollywood (one of my favorite new buildings from anywhere in the world) (ten stories ?)

-Emmerson College building in Hollywood juuuuuuust started construction (15 stories?)

- 8500 Burton Way in Mid City (8 stories)

-Ceder Senai Hospital (12 stories)

- Like, 50 five and four story apartment buildings of varying aesthetic quality.

Expected to start construction next year:

-Blvd 6200 in Hollywood(four or five buildings of six stories)

-Wilshire Gayley in Westwood (35 stories)

-Dream Hotel in Hollywood (nine stories)

-Those two towers on Wilshire and Vermont (32 stories and 20 stories)

-A bunch of tall-ish stuff in West Hollywood. I forget their names.

-A ton of four and five story apartment and condo buildings.

-Pocket Parks

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:40 AM
Paramoderator

Speaking of 8500 Burton Way...

I found some renders online.

I am mixed about this building. Asthetically, it is attractive, but it could interact with the sidewalk better. It has ground floor retail (Trader Joes), but it only really has entrances to said Trader Joes on the La Cieneaga facing side. The other sides are just blank walls. Pretty blank walls, but blank walls nonetheless. At least the actual architecture is great. It looks like a modern update to Googie style. The entire thing harkens back to L.A.s mid-century glory days. Good stuff, in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:31 AM

Its a good project in design. I just wish it would be taller conseriring the location. I always envisioned that area with 20-40 story towers.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:21 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I found some renders online.

I am mixed about this building. Asthetically, it is attractive, but it could interact with the sidewalk better. It has ground floor retail (Trader Joes), but it only really has entrances to said Trader Joes on the La Cieneaga facing side. The other sides are just blank walls. Pretty blank walls, but blank walls nonetheless. At least the actual architecture is great. It looks like a modern update to Googie style. The entire thing harkens back to L.A.s mid-century glory days. Good stuff, in that regard.

Is that what's going up? It looks to be nearly topped out. I went past there on Saturday. It's pretty imposing.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Well, okay then. I'm not sure if you mean pictures, or just the list that I did, but I've been meaning to go out and take pictures for a while, and I can do the list now.

Under Construction:

- Some huge building for a cancer research company in Santa Monica. It's massive. (three stories, but probobly 25 foot floor heights)

- Shore Hotel in Santa Monica just opened. It's pretty stunning at night. (four stories)

-Red Building in West Hollywood (one of my favorite new buildings from anywhere in the world) (ten stories ?)

-Emmerson College building in Hollywood juuuuuuust started construction (15 stories?)

- 8500 Burton Way in Mid City (8 stories)

-Ceder Senai Hospital (12 stories)

- Like, 50 five and four story apartment buildings of varying aesthetic quality.

Expected to start construction next year:

-Blvd 6200 in Hollywood(four or five buildings of six stories)

-Wilshire Gayley in Westwood (35 stories)

-Dream Hotel in Hollywood (nine stories)

-Those two towers on Wilshire and Vermont (32 stories and 20 stories)

-A bunch of tall-ish stuff in West Hollywood. I forget their names.

-A ton of four and five story apartment and condo buildings.

-Pocket Parks

Could someone please post info on the Vermont and Wilshire Project. What is that status of LA Central and the Century City Projects?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 9:59 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Could someone please post info on the Vermont and Wilshire Project. What is that status of LA Central and the Century City Projects?
L.A. Central is downtown. Therefore, any info should be in the Downtown Rundown. Vermont/Wilshire is still going through the approval stage. Last I heard, they were redesigning it to make it more pedestrian friendly. I have no info on any of the Century City projects. Hypothetically, they could break ground next year, but I truly have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Is that what's going up? It looks to be nearly topped out. I went past there on Saturday. It's pretty imposing.
Yeah. They say it should open up around mid 2012, so it should make sense that it is almost topped out. Do you think that, if you pass by it, you could take some pictures and post them? Since I don't really live in the area, the last time I passed by it was only on the second floor. I'm sure now there is cladding and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post

Its a good project in design. I just wish it would be taller conseriring the location. I always envisioned that area with 20-40 story towers.
Eh. I'm fine with eight+ story towers. That height, evenly distributed throughout L.A., would be hella density. Tokyo, don't forget, is mostly 5-15 story buildings, with taller towers interspersed throughout. Anyways, I always say, as long as it is dense enough to support a subway, I am happy.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:57 AM
Ascension

Quote:

Yeah. They say it should open up around mid 2012, so it should make sense that it is almost topped out. Do you think that, if you pass by it, you could take some pictures and post them? Since I don't really live in the area, the last time I passed by it was only on the second floor. I'm sure now there is cladding and everything.
Next time I'm down there, I'll take pictures of it but cladding hasn't started yet but aside from that and the roof, it's topped out.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:52 PM

The San Gabriel Valley Tribute recently reported that 775 housing permits that were pulled in Los Angeles County in November. 535 of these permits were for a single mixed use development in Hollywood.

Curbed made the connection that this is the exact number of housing units in phase 1 of the Blvd 6200 project. So there you go. Phase 1 will likely start in January. Finally...one of the most visible dead spots on Hollywood Blvd is going to be filled in!

In celebration, here are some renders that havent been posted here before (I think):

Van Tilburg, Banvard & Soderbergh, AIA

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 8:44 PM
Environmental Sabotage

^ I am looking forward to this project getting started and since I live near I will be taking pictures of the progess!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 5:20 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Monarch project coming along on Fountain and La Brea:

The Monarch project on Santa Monica and La Brea is also going forward... They've closed the Carl's Jr and fenced off the area. I suspect they will start with demolition this week.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:14 AM

^^
thats the lot where the Jons was demoed right? and a 5 storey apartment going up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations