HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:32 PM

But the North Shore does have a geographical edge being close to downtown so there's always the possibility of rapid transit which could probably see the lower part of Lonsdale being densified.

Harbourside 1000 units
Lower Lynn 3000 units
Lower Capilano 1800 units
Capilano Mall 1500 units?
Moodyville 2000 units
Harry Jerome 800 units
Marine Drive corridor 500 units?
Lynn Valley Centre 2500 units

WestBank Horseshoe Bay 158 units
Park Royal Larco 300 units

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
But the North Shore does have a geographical edge being close to downtown so there's always the possibility of rapid transit which could probably see the lower part of Lonsdale being densified.
To CNV and DNV yes, to DWV, hell no. This is the only municipality that I know so far that has outright rejected effectively free bus service from Translink (Forcing the R2 to terminate at Park Royal instead of Dundarave).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:41 AM

According to U-Haul, North Vancouver was the second most popular place to move to last year. And Vancouver was the only large city on their top 20 list of places to move to in Canada. I'd wait for census numbers - the estimates in between census years are often quite poor predictions of the actual number - although Statistics Canada use tax records, so shouldn't be horribly off.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
According to U-Haul, North Vancouver was the second most popular place to move to last year. And Vancouver was the only large city on their top 20 list of places to move to in Canada. I'd wait for census numbers - the estimates in between census years are often quite poor predictions of the actual number - although Statistics Canada use tax records, so shouldn't be horribly off.
That could be referencing CNV, which has been growing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Traffic being as horrible as it is, North Shore is not really an appealing place to consider living.
I think the cost is more of a deterrent. Yes, traffic has gotten worse, but then again it used to be really bad decades ago when the highway had lights at Westview and Lonsdale, along with the delays at Cassiar and Hastings before the tunnel. For as long as I can remember, non-residents have always feared (a better word escapes me at this hour) traffic on the North Shore while sitting in lines for hours on the Port Mann and other much more congested stretches.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:12 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
There is quite a bit development going on in DNV so I was surprised by seeing a decline. Then again, points made above do make sense.

West Vancouver is not surprising as I can count major projects in the last five years with my fingers. There is just very little happening in there outside if McMansions up on the hillside.

Traffic being as horrible as it is, North Shore is not really an appealing place to consider living. I love the closeness to nature but could not deal with the daily congestion.
East of the 2nd narrows is amazing. No traffic and great access to the highways

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
I have some experience working in/with the District of West Van. They are about as NIMBY as you can get. It's really hard to have any density when any time there's a proposal in the small number of areas where density is allowed, the community reaction is so strong against it that council ends up finding a reason to reject it (out of character, shadows, traffic, vague negative community impacts etc.)
Yes exactly. The City of North Van seems much better at accepting positive changes. West Van is very much like Vancouver: backward and selfish residents abound.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 12:44 AM

Anyone know what is going to into the two vacated coffee shop locations? Both now say leased

3rd and Lonsdale where Starbucks used to be, and 1st and Lonsdale where Waves used to be

Looking forward to the fried chicken and donut shop opening in the alley between Esplanade and 1st! The 3rd and Lonsdale Starbucks shut down and moved to Esplanade, and after just a few months it already shut down

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:43 AM

Concert is finally starting on Harbourside.

Quote:
The delay in getting construction started on the 12-acre site including specific site engineering. It is the first in North Vancouver to require preloading to nearly five feet (1.5 metres) above the shoreline to mitigate against sea levels rising
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/7-...opment-3442883

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
Anyone know what is going to into the two vacated coffee shop locations? Both now say leased

3rd and Lonsdale where Starbucks used to be, and 1st and Lonsdale where Waves used to be

Looking forward to the fried chicken and donut shop opening in the alley between Esplanade and 1st! The 3rd and Lonsdale Starbucks shut down and moved to Esplanade, and after just a few months it already shut down
I saw this posted on Lonsdale Avenue Magazine last year saying 49th Parallel is opening up in the old Waves location on 1st but can't seem to find anything else confirming that. There seems to be some work going on inside though.

https://lonsdaleave.ca/49th-parallel

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raws0n View Post
I saw this posted on Lonsdale Avenue Magazine last year saying 49th Parallel is opening up in the old Waves location on 1st but can't seem to find anything else confirming that. There seems to be some work going on inside though.

https://lonsdaleave.ca/49th-parallel
Thanks!

What an explosion of coffee places in last little while. C41 (still the best), Nemesis, Winston, Cafe Artigiano, and potentially 49th Parallel!

If they have a rumble against hair and nail salons in Lower Lonsdale they might actually be evenly matched!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

What an explosion of coffee places in last little while. C41 (still the best), Nemesis, Winston, Cafe Artigiano, and potentially 49th Parallel!

If they have a rumble against hair and nail salons in Lower Lonsdale they might actually be evenly matched!
Shout out to Cafe Carerra on 1st!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

When you build up a neighbourhood, the best will come. This area is fast becoming a vibrant commercial/mixed use node of the city, unlike its quiet past when it was merely a one-street shopping stretch. This is another example of how retail synergy is successfully implemented in the planning of the neighbourhood.

I was just over there (again) during the weekend and it had a vibrant vibe that is missing in current-day Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:10 AM

From PriceTags - behind the Polygon Gallery:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:02 AM

Not a 100% sure but I believe the cranes visible on the British Properties are for Treehouse/Hawksley. My pics taken yesterday.

Gateway Residences at Park Royal.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 6:28 AM

Looks like a lot of progress on Westbank's Horseshoe Bay project:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM21uznB1xA/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 8:11 PM

2021, March 27
Came across this while on a bike ride. Photo taken near Capilano Rd and Curling Rd.

Untitled by Lexus LX570, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:22 AM

Horseshoe Bay

Video from a Westbank e-mail blast.

https://vimeo.com/514510202/fc678b33...eid=48fad03eeb

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 5:39 AM

^Very cool.

Courtenay project update West Van.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:24 PM

Both Park Royal cranes are now down. The buildings look ok, a bit stumpy but of decent quality. Still a lot of cladding to be added so could go either way still.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley