HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
You talkin' to me?

Nova Scotia Offshore Exploration

I thought I would start a thread about this considering offshore energy exploration is starting to ramp up again.

Here is an article I found in regards to Deep Panuke:
Quote:
Encana: Deep Panuke back in production by end of summer

The Deep Panuke offshore field is expected to be producing 300 million cubic feet of gas daily later this year when it reaches full production, says the president of the company operating the field.

Encana Corp. president and chief executive officer Randy Eresman made the comment during a conference call with investment analysts Wednesday after his struggling company reported a $1.5-billion second-quarter loss.

Encana officials say production is still slated to start later this summer at the Deep Panuke field, about 250 kilometres southwest of Halifax, even though Eresman said the energy giant is moving its focus away from natural gas to natural gas liquids production due to slumping global gas prices.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-end-of-summer

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 3:29 PM

Drillship "Stena Icemax" headed to Hamburg,ETA May 10. Now at anchor 20 miles east of Chebucto Head. No more drilling for a while.
I notice the province is silent on the matter.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Drillship "Stena Icemax" headed to Hamburg,ETA May 10. Now at anchor 20 miles east of Chebucto Head. No more drilling for a while.
I notice the province is silent on the matter.
It's not going anywhere according to this:

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...ing-riser.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
It's not going anywhere according to this:

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...ing-riser.html
My info is from marinetraffic.com and is a few days old. I don't know where they get their info from but they show the vessel as bound for a suburb of Hamburg.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
My info is from marinetraffic.com and is a few days old. I don't know where they get their info from but they show the vessel as bound for a suburb of Hamburg.
They've had it like that for a week or so now. I assumed the ship had to update the destination. When it came up from Mexico it actually had the well head name as the destination. I can see it from my office on a clear day and can say was still offshore this morning.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:47 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
No more drilling for a while.
BP says that the drilling that was delayed in 2017 will resume in 2018, and on Wednesday they issued an EOI for engineering & consulting services in support of one or more wells offshore in NS. They intend to wrap up selecting well locations by the 2nd half of this year. (says the news outlet that shall not be named)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
They've had it like that for a week or so now. I assumed the ship had to update the destination. When it came up from Mexico it actually had the well head name as the destination. I can see it from my office on a clear day and can say was still offshore this morning.
Where is your office, and can you get a pic? (Even a cellphone pic would be good.)

I've been wondering how to see it. I figured a trip to Eastern Passage/Cow Bay/Lawrencetown was necessary. I guess not.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Where is your office, and can you get a pic? (Even a cellphone pic would be good.)

I've been wondering how to see it. I figured a trip to Eastern Passage/Cow Bay/Lawrencetown was necessary. I guess not.
17 nautical miles south of Clam Harbour, and 25 nautical miles east of Chebucto Head. You won't get much of a photo unless you know someone with a boat.
http://www.stena-drilling.com/fleet-...y/stena-icemax : website show the vessel is not available until Q3 2017; I presume the date is when the Shell charter expires.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 11:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Only tangentially related but I thought this was an interesting shot. You'd be able to see quite far out with a decent camera, probably 100 km or more:

Source

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 11:48 PM

At a height of 480 feet the horizon is 25 nautical miles.
If you are at a height of 100 feet and the object is 140 feet high, the extreme range is 25 nautical miles.
Bismarck sank the Hood at about 8 nautical miles but the first salvos in the battle were at a much greater range.
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarc...aitbattle.html

Last edited by Colin May; Apr 24, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post

I would need a pretty good lense to get it. I can just see the derrick on the horizon. I only spotted it because I was looking for it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy