HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I worked for a company in which John Turner was on the board. Crossed paths with him or rode the elevator with him a handful of times over the years. Never actually talked to him, but at the end of a board meeting either the receptionist or another employee would go down to the lobby with him and call a cab (he was somewhat fragile). Perhaps if he grew up wealthy he might prefer having a limo. But then again, the chairman of the company arrived to work in a cab everyday.
Once, about 20 years ago, I was in Toronto and was boarding the subway at the Osgoode station late in the evening (after 10 PM anyway).

When I got down to the platform, it was nearly deserted, but there was one elegant looking older man waiting patiently for the next train. He was impeccably dressed, and I realized almost immediately that it was John Turner.

Here was an ex Prime Minister of the country, waiting for a subway train on an empty platform, late at night, with no visible security anywhere. There was no pretense in his mannerisms, and no swagger.

I tried to mentally contrast this humble and unassuming vision in front of me with what I would expect to be the circus surrounding an ex president venturing out in public (secret service, limousines, public kept at bay), and I must admit that it made me proud to be Canadian.

The only ex US president this humble is Jimmy Carter as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:41 AM

Ya I've had that thought and discussed it with a couple of colleagues before about how an ex President has Secret Service for life but here is an ex PM who doesn't even have a personal assistant. I imagine it's by choice.

I've been in Kennbunkport, Maine when GW Bush was there. The motorcade passed right by us. I was also in Columbus, OH in August 2008 when candidate Obama was holding a rally there and you could see quite the entourage.

Maybe about 1.5 years before JT became PM, just the two of us crossed by each other at King and York intersection at around 10am. It was summer and he had his tan suit on and he smiled at me. I see how people are attracted to his looks and charisma, but it was very much an unnecessary smile lol. I knew it was him as we waited at opposite ends of the crosswalk but I didn't make eye contact then or when we passed, but that's just him. He's not just a crowd pleaser but for every individual.

Before that, I had the exact same thing happen with Pierre Pettigrew at the crosswalk between the Royal York and Union Station at probably 10am again. He was a Minister at the time. I was just minding my business and as we passed he looked at me, nodded and smiled. I didn't think I gave any indication that I recognized he was a Minister. I thought I was basically just looking straight ahead and not focused on him for even a split second.

The common denominator here is that none of these guys had security, an entourage, assistant or even colleague with them. In the US, I kind of picture that anyone of these peoples' stature usually have someone with them during a working day for whatever reason.

I also know someone whose dad is cousins with Colin Powell. They went to a family reunion in Jersey while Powell was Sec. of State and he was amazed by the Secret Service detail outside the house.

Also, Trudeau Sr.'s daughter worked at my company for a little while just before I started there. My colleagues told me a little about her. Just a regular gal doing a regular job. For a US ex-prez's kids you wonder if they have a security detail past childhood.

And a couple years ago I was taking the Subway from Bloor to St. Andrew and noticed a guy that looked very similar to Bob Rae get on in front of me. When the guy got off at Queen's Park station I was like yup, suspicion confirmed.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:08 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think the assumptions made by the OP of the thread has been a bit misleading, but still worth discussion. In Canada we have 28.9% representation in parliament (2019), as compared to 32% (2017) in the UK. The difference of only about 3% is not that great. In the US house that figure is 27.4%, and an even lower 24% in the old boy senate. Of course, you can check the figures if you like.

However, today's consensus suggests that more representation is needed.

Quote:
More than 30 countries have introduced quotas for election to national parliament by constitutional amendment or by electoral law, most of them during recent years. In more than 50 countries quotas for public election is now stipulated in major political parties’ own statutes, demanding that a certain minimum of the parties’ candidates for election to national parliament must be women
https://www.legislationline.org/down...s%20Sweden.pdf

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:36 PM

I believe the reason women are not represented well among MPs and MPPs is because most of these individuals have to build up their name recognition and campaigns from knocking on hundreds of doors in their community.

Ive tried door knocking and found it pretty scary. Did 5 homes (out of the people who answered the door) and that was it. I couldn't hack it. Perhaps most women have the same fear I do, which could explain why most of your utilities and door to door salespeople are male. Imagine canvassing and coming across some really volatile homeowner or tenant... I am 6'1" tall, so I couldnt imagine how scared a 5'2" woman would be in that kind of a fisticuffs scenario.

While men dominate the upper echeleons of Canadian politics , it's a completely different story in middle management. From what I see women outnumber men in govt administrative middle management positions. The demographics of these beurocratic roles sway heavily female in the under 40 age cohort.

In my opinion, these middle managerial and beurocratic type positions seem to be less stressful than constantly being in the public eye and scrutiny, even if your take home pay is 25-40% lower, you've still got the same benefits and generous public pension.

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Mar 6, 2021 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't think Canada is doing poorly in women's representation in our political system at all. Just because we haven't had a female PM doesn't mean we are 'behind the times' in terms of political equality.
Yup, I don't think it's due to discrimination.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada