HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I don't think it's 'best technology' per se, I think it has more to do with industry and economy. North America was shaped largely by the prevalence and power of the automotive and energy (oil) industries from the 30s-70s.

Manufacturing jobs were plentiful, fuel and cars were cheap, and both industries had a lot of sway. The distances and relatively low population density between cities made the infrastructure required for rail prohibitively expensive at the time.

If you look elsewhere (Europe and Asia) things developed differently.
I disagree mostly. While there's no question that large industries had (have) great power in North America, I think it would be inaccurate to ignore the usefulness of the motor vehicle to traverse the large expanses of the US and Canada.

When the car became widely available to the average person with a regular paycheque, it opened up a whole world of freedom that hadn't existed for them previously. Now, you could pile your family or friends into a vehicle and think nothing of traveling hundreds of miles, enjoying the scenery and experiences along the way. It was clearly the 'best technology' of the time, and in fact I would ask what means are available today that are able to accomplish that any better?

I also think it's a little misleading to compare North America to Europe and Asia, as their situations were vastly different than the US.

My point is that in Canada and the US motor vehicle ownership was a choice that many people made because of the advantages that it gave them. People would not have bought into it if they did not want them. They most certainly weren't forced into car ownership by 'big oil' or 'big auto'...

That said, I applaud the city for creating safer bike lanes to give cycling as a method of commuting a chance to catch on. Build the infrastructure, give it a chance. In 20 years, maybe it will be in widespread use, or maybe not - at that point perhaps a decision would be made to try something else... we will see.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 6:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is a narrative that I read often in this forum, but I'd like to ad some context if I could.

I often read posts from the viewpoint of people who, for many reasons, appear to be mostly anti-car. While I do understand the reasoning in many cases, the narrative often sounds like there was some big conspiracy to destroy cities by making them car-centric.

As I have seen and studied during my lifetime, historical context tends to be skewed somewhat by the preferences of the individual (myself included), so with that in mind here is my take on how infrastructure has evolved.

I'll start by making the statement that infrastructure has always been developed based on peoples' needs, or perceived needs. Roads were always built to fit the needs of the day, whether it be Roman chariots, footpaths which followed the easiest or most direct path to a destination, dirt road for horses and wagons, rails for trains, or paved roads for motor vehicles.

The type of road evolved as technology evolved - i.e. the roadways were optimized for the best technology available to the masses at any given time in history. Roads were built out of political will, which came from the wants and needs of the population, or when there was a business case from the private sector in some cases. For example, in the mid-late 1800s, most local travel was done by horses or horses/oxen pulling buggies/wagons, etc.; whereas longer travel was handled by rail - the best technology available at the time. As we moved into the 20th century, cars became available to the average person, and they were a fast and efficient way to travel and commute if they had safe, appropriate roadways on which to travel.

Therefore, over many decades roads were built to suit car/truck travel, and it was so convenient and efficient that trucks gradually started to replace trains for moving large quantities of goods, as the business case became more advantageous. In some cases roads were even built for perceived military needs. So IMHO, up until recently, the driver for new infrastructure was to provide the best use of land to suit the best technology.

What I am seeing today, is a reversal of sorts, not driven by the latest technology of vehicle, but driven by other factors that society has deemed important - such as the environment, personal health, personal economy, lifestyle choices, etc.

In some ways it's a reversal of sorts, moving to older forms of transportation such as a bicycle or mass transit, which were once often chosen simply for economic reasons (and still are in some cases), but even more so being chosen to lessen one's effect on the environment, or to simplify life by choosing to not own a car, etc. etc.

The difference in narratives is, IMHO, while often people frame "car oriented" infrastructure as some shady plot to take over a city and society, it was really about people trying to improve their lives over the lives lived by their parents or grandparents, etc (which actually is a recurring theme in our society). People bought cars and demanded infrastructure from their government because they were much more convenient, faster, more comfortable, etc. than the horses and buggies that their parents and grandparents used. This was something wanted by people, not forced upon them. Car repair businesses arose from a need to maintain and repair cars - business opened by people who wanted to make a living from such activities, not forced upon a neighbourhood to degrade the locals.

When you look at today in a broader sense, as a slice of history, you may conclude that we are at a point of change - where we hit a pinnacle of self-indulgent behaviour and are now being forced to dial back by environmental and societal forces that are changing things for the better. And we may be... but only the passing of time will reveal where we go from here. While people today think that we are making the right decisions and we are moving in the right direction, future generations may look at our time period and scoff at how foolish we were. "How silly for them to be building bicycle lanes when we really needed space for the carbon-neutral automated hovercrafts we have now"... or something like that.

Sorry... another tangent. Kind of off-topic, but not completely... hopefully context to improve the conversation, which has been quite interesting so far.
History is everything. Did you know Halifax had a streetcar system? Do you know why it is no longer in service?
Well, during WW2, all the metal was put towards the war effort and back home, the equipment for the streetcar was breaking down and needed some much needed repairs. The problem was that by the end of the war, the costs skyrocketed to repair it, so the company instead ran buses as it was cheaper to replace with buses.

What do buses need? Roads. After the war, the automobile was a status symbol. That meant getting one meant you were well off. So, as more families bought cars more roads wee needed. More lanes were needed as well. That is why post-war subdivisions are car friendly and horrible to walk in. For an example, think of most of the peninsula and all of the roads have sidewalks. Now look at the post war areas. Where are the sidewalks? It is really bad in anything past the 90s.

Your tangent isn't wrong. If anything it helps keep in focus that what we are doing is what we think is right now. Those hovercrafts you speak of are possible, but if we just look at the technologies that existed in the 50s and 60 and now, we see a shift. Back then, they had cars, buses, bikes and rail transit. The Toronto Subway was started then. Boston's started in the 1800s. The shift was from the road being for all, to the road being for gasoline/diesel driven vehicles, to the road being for all. Back then, there were no reserved lanes. Everyone was riding in the same lane. Now we are trying to carve everything into 1800s roads. This is why those new bike lanes are snow covered. This is why the idea of an LRT or streetcar system is tough. We want a lane for each, but also not lose lanes for parking and cars driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I don't think it's 'best technology' per se, I think it has more to do with industry and economy. North America was shaped largely by the prevalence and power of the automotive and energy (oil) industries from the 30s-70s.

Manufacturing jobs were plentiful, fuel and cars were cheap, and both industries had a lot of sway. The distances and relatively low population density between cities made the infrastructure required for rail prohibitively expensive at the time.

If you look elsewhere (Europe and Asia) things developed differently.
Those countries are also much older than Canada. Some of those houses have been there for 1000 years. Their suburbs are no different than ours, but there is a better core due to the age of the country.

Interestingly, most people drive diesels over in Europe due to the higher cost of fuel. The muscle cars of the 60s would not sell over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I think it’s very on-topic to say a city’s transportation network is a product of that era’s societal norms.

The changes were generally thought to be modernizing and improving society. There were perhaps some critical intellectuals at the time, but there’s little to no way average people of the day could have foreseen today’s concerns. There was a time when only the men drove to work, there was a time when people didn’t worry about health and fitness because they were eating healthier foods and getting exercise from day-to-day activities, there was a time when the environment wasn’t seen as an issue... among a 1000 other examples.

I think my biggest critique of that era is that the poorer neighbourhoods were often chosen as the route to doze through, so it’s easy why some could see it as a conspiracy. At the end of the day, if you had the choice between a poor or a middle-income neighbourhood, one of them was clearly more justifiable to raze at the time.
Africville is a good example of that. The North End is still intact, due to it's richer citizens of the time, whereas, nothing is left of Africville, besides a sign to tell the forgotten history. This is where the challenge of NIMBY comes into play. The best place for a Bridge over the NW Arm goes right through an affluent neighbourhood. You know they will push as hard as possible with as much money as possible. Doesn't mean we should listen to them, but it does mean we should do the same as everywhere else. Maybe razing that area should be done. Fair is fair. Or, maybe we accept the need to respect the neighbourhoods and mitigate the reasonable requests.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:04 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Those countries are also much older than Canada. Some of those houses have been there for 1000 years. Their suburbs are no different than ours, but there is a better core due to the age of the country.
It would be misleading to say their suburbs are the same as ours. First, we probably all know a U.K., French, Dutch and Russian city develop differently despite all being European. Sure, they may all have some single detached housing at the very outskirts similar to ours, but the social status of those who own them or their overall percentage of city housing can be very different from here or each other. Anyone can find plenty of European suburbs built at medium densities in the last half-century. The “old towns” explanation is great for describing the density of downtowns, but it becomes a myth when we look at more recent developments at the urban periphery that aren’t single detached homes.

Some European cities followed our trends, others rejected them. I can say for certain from past study that French cities did experience some degree of exodus from inner city to suburbs, but it was never as widespread as here. Copenhagen residents weren’t a fan of Transit-Oriented development in 1947 because they found it “too American” - Here some call it “too European”. Some fun facts but also food for thought.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You are confusing a cycle lane and a cycle path. Lanes are like roads, paths are like highways. You need those lanes to funnel into the paths. In the 6os, the thought of building the Coxworth Interchange and not building a cycle lane would be normal and is how we have created this mess. So, now they are putting in cycle lanes to fix the issues. Give it a few decades and those lanes will be just as busy as the road lanes.
Not a chance.

The rest of your comment is just a repetition of the same tired planning dogma that got us here in the first place. It is a fundamental difference in beliefs. Where we are here is similar to where we would have been 120 years ago if someone had proposed building 6-track rail lines to connect cities in the absence of any actual demand.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
History is everything. Did you know Halifax had a streetcar system? Do you know why it is no longer in service?
Well, during WW2, all the metal was put towards the war effort and back home, the equipment for the streetcar was breaking down and needed some much needed repairs. The problem was that by the end of the war, the costs skyrocketed to repair it, so the company instead ran buses as it was cheaper to replace with buses.

Not quite that simple. The Halifax streetcar system was owned and operated by the local power utility at the time, NSL&P. It was originally developed using streetcars that were purchased used from other cities. They were crude, cold, rickety, drafty things. When WWII happened the population of Halifax skyrocketed and the streetcars, already problematic, took a real beating. They were literally falling apart and being so old already they were virtually unrepairable. It wasn't a matter of metal being unavailable.

So, being a power utility, NSL&P decided to replace them not with buses, but with electric trolleys. Brand-new ones built in Ontario. New power lines were strung, and their use of existing streets meant routes could be expanded at far less cost than streetcars. These had heat, were much quieter and more comfortable, could pull into the curb to pick up and disembark passengers, and were seen as superior in every way.

It wasn't until the 1960s as the suburbs began to expand and the city was no longer concentrated in and around downtown that the first diesel buses were introduced. The creation of Halifax Shopping Centre and Bayers Road Centre helped create that demand. It was just cheaper to transition to diesel than string lines everywhere, plus the trolleys themselves were wearing out and needed replacement. Just imagine today, having to string trolley power lines everywhere buses run.

Quote:
What do buses need? Roads. After the war, the automobile was a status symbol. That meant getting one meant you were well off. So, as more families bought cars more roads wee needed. More lanes were needed as well. That is why post-war subdivisions are car friendly and horrible to walk in. For an example, think of most of the peninsula and all of the roads have sidewalks. Now look at the post war areas. Where are the sidewalks? It is really bad in anything past the 90s.
You seem to be overlooking the reality that families left downtowns in droves for what they perceived as better housing in the new suburbs, which allowed them a bit of land and green space. Sidewalks in such areas can and do exist in many cases, but get very little use aside from people walking their dogs or running to exercise. They are not useful for actually going about ones business because of the much greater distances involved and the way those areas were developed due to the demand for that type of housing.

Quote:
Interestingly, most people drive diesels over in Europe due to the higher cost of fuel. The muscle cars of the 60s would not sell over there.
Diesels are soon to meet their end there because of emissions regulations imposed by the EU. You also seem to be unaware of the very fast, very thirsty European sports and exotic cars that are very much admired and in great demand.

Quote:
Africville is a good example of that. The North End is still intact, due to it's richer citizens of the time, whereas, nothing is left of Africville, besides a sign to tell the forgotten history.
Oh dear, now you have gone off a cliff. To equate those two examples is simply out to lunch, and I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent answers Keith.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

You seem to be overlooking the reality that families left downtowns in droves for what they perceived as better housing in the new suburbs, which allowed them a bit of land and green space. Sidewalks in such areas can and do exist in many cases, but get very little use aside from people walking their dogs or running to exercise. They are not useful for actually going about ones business because of the much greater distances involved and the way those areas were developed due to the demand for that type of housing.
That's what's so terrible and unhealthily about the suburbs, where you have to drive with everything you do.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
That's what's so terrible and unhealthily about the suburbs, where you have to drive with everything you do.
And you also have a little spot of land you can call your own, and a place where you can plant a garden, and where your children can play in safety. The suburbs are not a den of iniquity!

Suburbs however should be thoughtfully planned, complete with a street grid (but respecting streams and other natural features), stressing bicycle trails, walking paths, and well placed playgrounds and parks. Suburbs should not be monolithic and should include neighbourhood retail clusters (corner stores, pharmacies, pubs, bookshops and services like hairdressers and doctor's offices - not never-ending strip malls on collector roads) as well as neighbourhood recreational facilities. A suburb should be preplanned with (future) transit in mind up to and including undeveloped corridors for BRT or commuter rail down the road. In the meantime, these corridors could be used for recreation (making it crystal clear to residents that this is only temporary).

My own neighbourhood in Moncton isn't perfect. It is too monolithic, and I have to drive everywhere to do any errands. The street grid is not perfect and bus routes are too circuitous. On the other hand, the schools are well placed in my neighbourhood, there is a new neighbourhood YMCA I can walk to, the potential of a new satellite municipal library next to the YMCA, and a network of walking and bicycling trails that are completely separate from the road network. The city has respected existing brooks and streams, and they remain in their virgin state. There is also an abundance of neighbourhood playgrounds. I would give the Kingswood/Evergreen area a score of "B-" in terms of neighbourhood planning.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 21, 2020 at 3:42 PM. Reason: Edited to give my thoughts on what an ideal suburb should be.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And you also have a little spot of land you can call your own, and a place where you can plant a garden, and where your children can play in safety. The suburbs are not a den of iniquity!
You don't need to live in a suburb to have those amenities, although it's generally cheaper.

In general many people want the private realm that is provided by suburban living but they do not want to pay the actual costs. If property taxes were more in line with what it actually costs to service suburban sprawl, suburbs as we know them would not exist.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
^^^ Planning dogma again. Put everyone in gray reinforced concrete commie blocks and nirvana will be achieved!!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
You don't need to live in a suburb to have those amenities, although it's generally cheaper.

In general many people want the private realm that is provided by suburban living but they do not want to pay the actual costs. If property taxes were more in line with what it actually costs to service suburban sprawl, suburbs as we know them would not exist.
That is more due to inequities built into the existing property tax system that is based upon assessed value. If the taxation formula consisted of a mix of things that actually drive municipal govt cost - things like road frontage, number of bedrooms, number of minor children, etc instead of the totally artificial facsimile of using assessed value as a gauge of ability to pay and using the property tax system as some sort of "progressive" wealth tax instead of a way to recover actual service costs, property values would be adjusted to include that and the argument goes away.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
That is more due to inequities built into the existing property tax system that is based upon assessed value. If the taxation formula consisted of a mix of things that actually drive municipal govt cost - things like road frontage, number of bedrooms, number of minor children, etc instead of the totally artificial facsimile of using assessed value as a gauge of ability to pay and using the property tax system as some sort of "progressive" wealth tax instead of a way to recover actual service costs, property values would be adjusted to include that and the argument goes away.
I'm not sure how the argument goes away. The end result would still be higher property taxes in less dense neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
^^^ Planning dogma again. Put everyone in gray reinforced concrete commie blocks and nirvana will be achieved!!
Nope, doesn't have to be that way. Suburbs need to better planned out with more of mix of higher density and pedestrian/bike friendly environment. You you will find people living in the city are less obese and generally in better shape than people in the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think it needs to be either/or though. That mentality is why our society is being bled dry and collapsing. Don't like late-stage capitalism? Must be a communist! Don't like the Liberal party? Must be a conservative shill! We need to rethink our communities that rely on neither not one or the other.

Streetcar suburbs are a good option, low-rise/missing middle option for both townhomes and 3-5 storey apartments with detached single dwelling surrounding it. As long as residential or commercial are within a 250m/300m walk then it is convenient for locals to utilize it. I'm on your side when it comes to living accommodation, I don't want to live in a cramped condo I prefer a house for a home. But contemporary suburbs are poorly designed around automobiles without adequate room to infill or provide walking/biking alternatives; if you can accommodate both (walk/bike+automobile) then you serve both purposes and people can and will utilize both. Until that is understood we'll just bandaid our problems and never actually fix anything.

Laneway housing is also a good compromise. When you subdivide lots for detached housing you survey them narrower, think 40-45ft instead of 60ft but add more depth to the backyards and preserve a back spot along the back alley for a platform the size of a double garage and create a single unit apartment. "Get two birds stoned at once" Ricky might say.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not a chance.

The rest of your comment is just a repetition of the same tired planning dogma that got us here in the first place. It is a fundamental difference in beliefs. Where we are here is similar to where we would have been 120 years ago if someone had proposed building 6-track rail lines to connect cities in the absence of any actual demand.
Define demand? Most things are built with the idea that there will be a demand. One thing that makes a livable city is active transportation. That is things like sidewalks, bike paths and bike lanes. Maybe instead of bike lanes we simply make the law that a bike gets the entire lane. The reason for bike lanes on major streets are to prevent cyclists getting hit. So, the only other option is to have that lane blocked by a cyclist. I am certain you'd agree loosing some space to a bike lane is better.

Quote:
Not quite that simple. The Halifax streetcar system was owned and operated by the local power utility at the time, NSL&P. It was originally developed using streetcars that were purchased used from other cities. They were crude, cold, rickety, drafty things. When WWII happened the population of Halifax skyrocketed and the streetcars, already problematic, took a real beating. They were literally falling apart and being so old already they were virtually unrepairable. It wasn't a matter of metal being unavailable.

So, being a power utility, NSL&P decided to replace them not with buses, but with electric trolleys. Brand-new ones built in Ontario. New power lines were strung, and their use of existing streets meant routes could be expanded at far less cost than streetcars. These had heat, were much quieter and more comfortable, could pull into the curb to pick up and disembark passengers, and were seen as superior in every way.

It wasn't until the 1960s as the suburbs began to expand and the city was no longer concentrated in and around downtown that the first diesel buses were introduced. The creation of Halifax Shopping Centre and Bayers Road Centre helped create that demand. It was just cheaper to transition to diesel than string lines everywhere, plus the trolleys themselves were wearing out and needed replacement. Just imagine today, having to string trolley power lines everywhere buses run.
You gave the more expanded version of what happened.

Imagine for a minute of cancelling a bus route when the bus is worn out and needs replacement. If you think that sounds stupid, then you and I agree. So, replace the rolling stock and then replacing worn tracks and such would just be a normal thing to do.

Let's say the Streetcar was still there. I could see them being extended to carry the demand on the more major routes. Instead, let's do things as cheap as possible.

Quote:

Diesels are soon to meet their end there because of emissions regulations imposed by the EU. You also seem to be unaware of the very fast, very thirsty European sports and exotic cars that are very much admired and in great demand.
I understand there was no singular reason for the exodus.
Part of the issue in those subdivisions are that you might only be 100m from the grocery store, but the road network makes it closer to 1km. Some subdivisions are better than others. So, why not walk? Because it has been made to be unwalkable.

Quote:
Oh dear, now you have gone off a cliff. To equate those two examples is simply out to lunch, and I'll leave it at that.
I'd rather you didn't. I do not understand what cliff I have gone off of.

Quote:
And that is what should change if real growth is to happen.

Quote:

Suburbs however should be thoughtfully planned, complete with a street grid (but respecting streams and other natural features), stressing bicycle trails, walking paths, and well placed playgrounds and parks. Suburbs should not be monolithic and should include neighbourhood retail clusters (corner stores, pharmacies, pubs, bookshops and services like hairdressers and doctor's offices - not never-ending strip malls on collector roads) as well as neighbourhood recreational facilities. A suburb should be preplanned with (future) transit in mind up to and including undeveloped corridors for BRT or commuter rail down the road. In the meantime, these corridors could be used for recreation (making it crystal clear to residents that this is only temporary).

My own neighbourhood in Moncton isn't perfect. It is too monolithic, and I have to drive everywhere to do any errands. The street grid is not perfect and bus routes are too circuitous. On the other hand, the schools are well placed in my neighbourhood, there is a new neighbourhood YMCA I can walk to, the potential of a new satellite municipal library next to the YMCA, and a network of walking and bicycling trails that are completely separate from the road network. The city has respected existing brooks and streams, and they remain in their virgin state. There is also an abundance of neighbourhood playgrounds. I would give the Kingswood/Evergreen area a score of "B-" in terms of neighbourhood planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

Both of you speak the same coin, but the opposite side. It is interesting that some of the nicest properties are usually in old parts of towns/cities. They have large trees, mature hedges, and beautiful gardens that have been tended to over the decades. A new subdivision usually sees most if not all trees and vegetation removed. Then they plant small trees. Maybe they need to be required to leave more trees.

Quote:
I only rented in Halifax. Are you saying that is not done? As a current home owner elsewhere, I know that is not the case here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
More specifically, WWII resulted in a huge influx of people to Halifax, as it became a major port for military operations during the war. This sudden increase in population resulted in the Birney cars being run much more frequently, and at maximum loads, which over 5+ years resulted in accelerated deterioration of both the cars and the tracks. Combine that with the fact that Birney cars were no longer made after 1930 - all along the NS Power Corp (owners and operators) were purchasing used Birney cars from other transit corporations to keep Halifax's system running.

After the war, a study was done and it was determined that pretty much everything would have to be replaced at once - both cars and tracks - which would have been a huge expenditure for the company. As a result, they decided to replace the entire system, in 1949, with electric buses that ran off of overhead wires, on the roads that had already existed (cars had been using Halifax roads since the teens, and a little known fact is that cars had been driving on the lefthand side of the road, like England, until 1923, when they switched to the right side). These electric buses ran until 1970, when the city of Halifax took over the transit system and the electric buses were changed up for diesel units.

There are members on here who are much more knowledgeable than I about the tram/trolleybus/transit system, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Not quite accurate, actually. Yes, large expensive cars were status symbols, but inexpensive cars were around since the late teens/early 1920s, most famously represented by the Model T Ford, which through economy of scale actually had the price decrease in successive years as Ford's precursor to the modern production facility was able to build more by reducing production time per vehicle. So, the public had adopted the motor car as a preferred method of transportation, and thus demanded their elected politicians to improve the road system, as you eluded to.

As such, cars were available in all price ranges to the point that the average person with a steady job could afford one. Additionally, as time passed there would be a used car market that resulted when people traded in their older, serviceable vehicles for new ones. This made cars affordable by just about anyone.

As for sidewalks, new subdivisions still have sidewalks installed. You can find many examples of that in Halifax, so sidewalks didn't disappear from new construction after WWII. What did happen is in some areas sidewalks were only run on one side of the street as a cost-cutting measure - typically, and easement was left on the other side of the street in the event that sidewalk installation would be necessary or desired. I have never agreed with this, however, as I think sidewalks should be on both sides of every street. This is especially a problem in the older areas of Burnside, where traffic is very busy and truck-heavy, so walking in that area can be somewhat challenging (though recently they had started to install sidewalks in Burnside).

Quote:
Your tangent isn't wrong. If anything it helps keep in focus that what we are doing is what we think is right now. Those hovercrafts you speak of are possible, but if we just look at the technologies that existed in the 50s and 60 and now, we see a shift. Back then, they had cars, buses, bikes and rail transit. The Toronto Subway was started then. Boston's started in the 1800s. The shift was from the road being for all, to the road being for gasoline/diesel driven vehicles, to the road being for all. Back then, there were no reserved lanes. Everyone was riding in the same lane. Now we are trying to carve everything into 1800s roads. This is why those new bike lanes are snow covered. This is why the idea of an LRT or streetcar system is tough. We want a lane for each, but also not lose lanes for parking and cars driving.
To be clear, the roads evolved as needs changed. Most Halifax roads, notably in the downtown area were always wide enough for at least two lanes of traffic, but were not marked as such due to the fact that many weren't paved (a fact that pedestrians also complained about when they became wet and muddy - not to mention the horse poo that had to be dodged...). Those dirt roads were quite bumpy and difficult to maintain, which was one of the drivers which brought about Halifax's first street rail system (horse-drawn). In winter and spring conditions the roads were very difficult for even horses and buggies/carts to traverse, so pavement was an improvement for all, not just motor vehicles.

I said carbon-neutral hovercrafts in jest - the carbon-neutral being the salient point, but just to introduce the idea that there may be a technology that we don't yet know about which will become the preferred choice for movement - replacing cars, buses, bicycles, or whatever... and at that time infrastructure will be optimized for that method, and likely whatever was used before will be considered archaic (as is the typical response by humans whenever older technology is replaced).

Good discussion!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:29 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
If you repeatedly call a group of ideas dogma over the course of a decade, is that not dogmatic in itself?

Where does anyone advocate for “grey reinforced concrete commie blocks”?

I knew it was only a matter of time before talk of future transportation infrastructure devolved into a “street fight” using cold war era rhetoric.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Dec 22, 2020 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I think it’s very on-topic to say a city’s transportation network is a product of that era’s societal norms.

The changes were generally thought to be modernizing and improving society. There were perhaps some critical intellectuals at the time, but there’s little to no way average people of the day could have foreseen today’s concerns. There was a time when only the men drove to work, there was a time when people didn’t worry about health and fitness because they were eating healthier foods and getting exercise from day-to-day activities, there was a time when the environment wasn’t seen as an issue... among a 1000 other examples.

I think my biggest critique of that era is that the poorer neighbourhoods were often chosen as the route to doze through, so it’s easy why some could see it as a conspiracy. At the end of the day, if you had the choice between a poor or a middle-income neighbourhood, one of them was clearly more justifiable to raze at the time.
I agree, but historically it seemed that the act of "slum clearance" happening in many cities on North America was more about government paternalism to "improve" the situation for poor people than tearing down neighbourhoods in order to build roads. Sure, it did happen, but roads and street grids were part of the city from inception, whereas expressways (of which Halifax has comparatively few) were more a product of the fifties and sixties.

Here's a basic summary of what was happening in Halifax post-war:
https://historicnovascotia.ca/items/...tour=5&index=0

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:39 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:

I thought Moncton was “bore-ing”... no?

Puns aside, you bring up the valid point that we should appreciate what works with what we already have. Sure, your average suburb may not be an urbanist dream, but there are still some convenient amenities nearby. I suppose the lesson is that we don’t need some urban revolution to improve the suburbs, just small gradual upgrades to the convenience of everyday life.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 12:24 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree, but historically it seemed that the act of "slum clearance" happening in many cities on North America was more about government paternalism to "improve" the situation for poor people than tearing down neighbourhoods in order to build roads. Sure, it did happen, but roads and street grids were part of the city from inception, whereas expressways (of which Halifax has comparatively few) were more a product of the fifties and sixties.

Here's a basic summary of what was happening in Halifax post-war:
https://historicnovascotia.ca/items/...tour=5&index=0
Your article enlightened me on the 1945 National Housing Act, beforehand I didn’t know it was the federal government which encouraged this. People often frame it as the individual city governments being the source of harm, when in reality it was encouraged from further up. Thanks ODM!

I was familiar with slum removal being justified as improving the lives of the urban poor. Generally these people were thought to be so impoverished relocation was seen to be beneficial. While we hear about this a lot in cities, some here may know the same line of thought was even applied to poorer rural areas for the creation of national parks. (Kouchibouguac)

(Tangent alert) One of my many comparisons to foreign places

I know Chinese cities are going through a very similar cycle of urban renewal these days. There are “urban villages” (basically old farming villages enveloped by urban expansion) where many cheap apartments cut off from city amenities were built. This is because they are still zoned as “rural land”, and in order to be incorporated into “urban land” city officials need to negotiate with the farmers on a sale price. Usually the original farmers get rich by renting out their buildings to temporary workers from the far countryside, and live in multi-million dollar apartments. Once the city buys this land the cheap apartment buildings are demolished and replaced with an orderly streetscape and modern buildings. However, in recent years officials have recognized the value of these informal settlements and tolerate their existence. They provide affordable living for young professionals, students, and temporary workers. Now there’s a bigger focus on renovating these old areas, and they are starting to see gentrification (a complex issue on its own) in a very similar way to the North End.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General