HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:14 PM

That's a great map to show to people who claim there's no way to "cram" more people onto the peninsula, which is a silly argument I've heard a number of times.

As far as adding areas, Quinpool Court/Quingate Place takes up a vast amount of room for a really ugly cluster of apartment buildings that could be redeveloped to a much higher density.

Alderney Landing and its adjacent block-sized parking lot aren't performing to a particularly high urban standard.

Other than that, it might require zooming into a more micro level. I'd suggest that the bit of the South End identified west of Barrington is one I wouldn't want to see change enormously. It's already among the highest density areas in the province, and contains some of the best historical residential architecture. Ditto bits of the North End identified outside of the main avenues. (Most of those streets seem to be increasingly full of homeowner occupied houses, with any given street being home to a dozen or more property owners, making it unlikely any big developments will happen anyway. I imagine that, say, Woodill and Moran and streets like that will look basically the same in 50 years as they do today, except the houses will be much more expensive.)

But while I certainly wouldn't want to see us start knocking down this sort of thing just for density's sake, the 1960s certainly saw a lot of stuff like this that's crying out for a swift death.

(I wonder if there's any way to direct development to the latter rather than the former sites.)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 3:52 AM

For the sake of reviving this thread...

This was posted in an urban planning forum by one of my mentors. As we prepare to enter 2014, I leave you with this as food for thought...

Turning a mall parking lot into a walkable community

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 4:55 AM

^Thats a good looking development. It would fit in well on a smaller scale on the Superstore parking lot in Sunnyside.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:42 AM

This is the kind of thing I'd like to see behind (and in front of) what was once penhorn mall.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General