HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
great news habs nords was best rivalry in hockey history and maybe they can get a cfl team in quebec city also imagine them vs. the als it would be superb and i have a feeling my jets will be back in peg city here soon too. With a strong dollar a much healthier canadian economy than down south and real hockey fans hockey will be fun again it's 1988 baby!
The only thing that's gonna be hard to re-create about late 80's/early 90's hockey was the amazing mullets! You weren't a bonafied superstar until you had one:

I guess I should get back on topic, bring back the Nordiques! My dad still puts his Nordiques Christmas ornament on the tree every year.

Last edited by AuxTown; Oct 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 7:33 PM
The good old days are now

Quebecor would be quite a good owner for the Nords, considering they actually have quite a bit of money and wouldn't be too financially strapped. As long as a new arena is built with 17,000+ seats, they will do fine. They need to have lots of season ticket holders though!

And while we're at it, bring back the Expos! I would pay top dollar to attend pro baseball in Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 7:45 PM

Baseball is almost dead in Quebec, if not in Canada... Don't expect to see the Expos again.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:14 PM
surely you agree with me

So...how come when there is a rumour about Quebec returning to the NHL, there is nothing but love and butterflies. The Winnipeg version of this thread is endless argument about not being big enough, not having enough corporate support, not having a good enough arena, lack of tv revenues, the NHL would never allow it, ticket prices are too high for us....it's an endless wave of negativity.

I fully support Quebec an hamilton's rightful place in the NHL, so this is by no means a slight on either. I am just wondering why the marked difference in tone between the Hamilton and Quebec threads about this and the Winnipeg one.

As an aside, in case some are not aware, Winnipeg's bid for a team got a huge rumour boost this past week. As it turns out the thomson family are silent owners of the Manitoba moose and the mts centre. They are apparently in talks to relocate the Atlanta franchise.

Last edited by trueviking; Oct 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:47 PM

because quebec is a sexy french tourist local while here winnipeg is springfield on the simpsons! Winnipeg may be not as sexy but its still home and i wouldn't trade for anywhere else!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
The only thing that's gonna be hard to re-create about late 80's/early 90's hockey was the amazing mullets!
Ryan Smyth and the citizens of Edmonton are trying, but more effort is needed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:41 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
So...how come when there is a rumour about Quebec returning to the NHL, there is nothing but love and butterflies. The Winnipeg version of this thread is endless argument about not being big enough, not having enough corporate support, not having a good enough arena, lack of tv revenues, the NHL would never allow it, ticket prices are too high for us....it's an endless wave of negativity.

I fully support Quebec an hamilton's rightful place in the NHL, so this is by no means a slight on either. I am just wondering why the marked difference in tone between the Hamilton and Quebec threads about this and the Winnipeg one.

As an aside, in case some are not aware, Winnipeg's bid for a team got a huge rumour boost this past week. As it turns out the thomson family are silent owners of the Manitoba moose and the mts centre. They are apparently in talks to relocate the Atlanta franchise.
Because Quebec is a much more serious candidate then Winnipeg, Quebec's economy has been litterally booming for 10 years and is still growing, and because Quebec-Montreal rivalry would be one of the best thing for the NHL to happen since Colorado won the stanley cup.

Winnipeg-Calgary? Winnipeg-Edmonton? Not even half as exciting...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
Because Quebec is a much more serious candidate then Winnipeg, Quebec's economy has been litterally booming for 10 years and is still growing, and because Quebec-Montreal rivalry would be one of the best thing for the NHL to happen since Colorado won the stanley cup.

I would love to see both in the NHL because I think they are two NHL-calibre cities and that putting franchises there would not threaten the viability of other current ones. My concern with the Hamilton bid is that the team would take tons of fans away from both Buffalo and Toronto. I know Toronto won't be in trouble, but I could see Buffalo folding within the decade. I also wonder about fan support in Hamilton. Everyone keeps saying that they'll draw fans from all over the GTA, but look at the average attendance for the Marlies and the Battalion. Sometimes I wonder if Toronto is really hockey crazy or if they're just Leaf crazy. Ottawa-Gatineau, with a population of about 1.3M, regularly sells out games for the Senators, 67's, Olympique, and numerous Junior A franchises. I feel that Winnipeg and Quebec would offer the same level of support.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:52 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Winnipeg's biggest rivals would potentially be the Wild, but I can't be too certain about that.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 10:05 PM

Two to three years from now Quebec ansd Winnipeg will be back in the NHL...Thas all....

Last edited by gilpel; Oct 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I also wonder about fan support in Hamilton. Everyone keeps saying that they'll draw fans from all over the GTA, but look at the average attendance for the Marlies and the Battalion. Sometimes I wonder if Toronto is really hockey crazy or if they're just Leaf crazy.
The City of Toronto may only care about Leaf hockey and not just hockey in general, but there's more to Southern Ontario than just Toronto. Look at all the junior teams in Southern Ontario that get amazing support. There are huge amounts of hockey fans in Southern Ontario who aren't Leafs or Sabres fans but love other NHL teams. Fan support in Hamilton won't be a problem as there are plenty of NHL fans to draw from.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpel View Post
Two to three years from now Quebec ansd Winnipeg will be back in the NHL...
What color is the sky in your world?

As much as I'd love to see Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, and Quebec City get NHL franchises, we all know that its just a pipe dream. I mean seriously, Bettman certainly picked his fight in Phoenix. He's basically set the stage to what ever is going to happen the next time a new owner comes in wanting to move a franchise. So, as much as it doesn't belong, and they lose money, teams are going to stay in places like Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Phoenix for the foreseeable future.

Expansion? Kansas City is top on the expansion radar, Las Vegas is next. After that, there are other American markets that could potentially support a successful NHL franchise that haven't been tapped into. Albany, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Salt Lake City come to mind. I'm almost willing to bet that there would probably be a team in Tijuana or San Juan before the NHL seriously considers another Canadian expansion team.

I think, in light of the recent Balsillie/Phoenix Coyotes debacle, we're all just being patronized by the league right now. Bettman is trying to come off as the good guy by saying any Canadian market would be good for the NHL. I mean, lets face it, if we were going to get another team, it would've happened by now.

So, all things considered, Quebec and Winnipeg will get their teams eventually. Just not in the next 2 or 3 years.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
The only thing that's gonna be hard to re-create about late 80's/early 90's hockey was the amazing mullets! You weren't a bonafied superstar until you had one:

<pics>

I guess I should get back on topic, bring back the Nordiques! My dad still puts his Nordiques Christmas ornament on the tree every year.
The mullet will be coming back this decade. Wish I could contribute, but I'm in military.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 1:19 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Expansion? Kansas City is top on the expansion radar, Las Vegas is next. After that, there are other American markets that could potentially support a successful NHL franchise that haven't been tapped into. Albany, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Salt Lake City come to mind. I'm almost willing to bet that there would probably be a team in Tijuana or San Juan before the NHL seriously considers another Canadian expansion team.
Albany???? No way. I've been to Albany and there is no way that they could support an NHL team. They're like half the size of Hartford. Plus in QC, Winnipeg or Hamilton, an NHL team would really be the only pro sports team in town, which isn't so much the case in a lot of mid-size American cities you mentioned.

Even our "big cities" outside of Toronto: Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton only have really one major league sports team each. I'm sure they all have the capacity to support another (or at least Montreal and Vancouver do).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 1:22 AM

sorry graupner but winnipeg is not as bad as it used to be and winnipeg has by far a much larger corporate base than quebec city here is a post by trueviking concerning the nhl in winipeg in our manitoba/sask section:

Originally Posted by trueviking
sigh...how do i always get sucked in....

any proof of your assertion about winnipeg's economy?...or are you just talking out of your ass again?

Winnipeg’s key economic indicators comparison 1994-2008 (since the jets left):

population:
1994: 676 000
2008: 733 000

population growth:
1994: 1600
2008: 10 000

average house value:
1994: $84 000 (Canadian average $158 000) 53% of the canadian average
2008: $191 000 (Canadian average $275 000) 70% of the canadian average

total value of building permits issued:
1994: $300 million
2008: $ 1 billion

housing starts:
1994: 972
2008: 3400

average household income:
1994: $43 000 (Canadian average $49 000) 87%
2008: $72 000 (Canadian average $70 500) 102%

unemployment rate
1994: 10.4% (Canadian average 9.5%)
2008: 4.3% (Canadian average 6%) (3rd in Canada)

total employment
1994: 318 000
2008: 400 000

retail sales:
1994: $4.3 million
2008: $9.3 million

GDP per capita
1994: $21 100 (Canada $26 700) 79% of the canadian average
2008: $44 500 (Canada $46 400) 96% of the canadian average

2008 economic growth 3.9% (third among Canadian cities)

Corporate presence in Winnipeg compared to other Canadian cities:

Corporate head offices; Top 500 largest publically traded companies (2008):

Winnipeg: 12
Edmonton: 7
Ottawa: 7
Quebec City: 2
Hamilton: 1

Corporate head offices; Companies of all sizes (2005):

Edmonton: 157
Winnipeg: 129
Ottawa: 101

Corporate head offices; total employment (2005):

Winnipeg: 6 890
Ottawa: 4 667
Edmonton: 3 428

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:12 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post

I will agree that the Montreal rivalry would be awesome but I won't agree that Quebec is a more serious candidate for the reasons you suggest. Winnipeg's economic growth has been higher than quebecs and it's population growth is not far behind.

I don't want to start a comparison war. My question was really rhetorical. People have a negative perception of Winnipeg. That is why the tone is so different when this discussion is held regarding a team in Winnipeg. I can list a number of reasons supporting winnipeg's canditacy but it will never overshadow the underlying perceptions

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:15 AM
surely you agree with me

It should be said that my list of stats above was a response to the incessant claims that winnipeg's economy can't support hockey and that nothing has changed in Winnipeg since the jets left. It is not intended to start a flame war.

As far as the betman thing goes. I don't think you can extrapolate his dealings with balsille as being an opposition to Canadian teams. I think that is more directly an opposition to him bringing a team to the Toronto region. My bet is if he wanted to move them to Winnipeg or Quebec he would have been allowed to.

Kansas city is certainly a future NHL city but I really don't see them moving into many more second tier American cities. There just isn't the interest. The experiment has failed. There are 10 teams apparently for sale right now. A couple might head to markets like that but that doesn't proclude a couple coming to Canada.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:21 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Albany???? No way. I've been to Albany and there is no way that they could support an NHL team. They're like half the size of Hartford.
Albany and Hartford are virtually the same size, which is comparable to the two Alberta cities. Though Hartford is closer to other centres such as Bridgeport and New Haven.
I don't know if Albany could support a team, but I'm sure Hartford could. I don't think the relocation of the Whalers had anything to do with a lack of fan support.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

I don't see where your perception of negativity about Winnipeg (vs. Quebec) comes from. Except for Graupner here, but in his case you almost drew him into it...

From what I read here and hear on the streets, I think most people in Quebec are supportive of Winnipeg's return to the NHL, but more focused on Quebec City for obvious reasons.

I think if there has been any negativity about Winnipeg and the NHL here, it's been mostly from your fellow Westerners two provinces over.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:58 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I think most Albertans would love to see a resurrection of the Jets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada