HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 9:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The full 102 project was in the range $300M, and that included all of the work leading up to the highway on the peninsula as well as expanding the highway out to Bedford. It was for the whole "corridor".

That being said, some of the key bottleneck road projects are only a few million dollars and commuter rail had an estimated capital cost in the $30M range (though that depends on what is actually built, if anything). At this point I think the city would get a bigger bang for its buck from a mixed approach consisting of some transit and "low hanging fruit" road improvements like along Bayers Road.

I think some streetcar routes or LRT extensions around the peninsula could also be really valuable if combined with plans to build up areas like Young Street. From an urban planning and servicing perspective it is a huge win to have a new neighbourhood of say 5,000 people living there and taking transit instead of living in Clayton Park or Bedford West and mostly driving.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 9:02 PM

There was something I was reading about the extension or work on the 102 - I cant' remember what it was, but it said something like $20 billion to do all the work. I just don't remember what it was and thought to myself - what a waste if all that money is going to focus on drivers.

Spend it on real, efficient transit (like an LRT/high speed ferry) and get the cars off the road.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 9:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
There was something I was reading about the extension or work on the 102 - I cant' remember what it was, but it said something like $20 billion to do all the work. I just don't remember what it was and thought to myself - what a waste if all that money is going to focus on drivers.

Spend it on real, efficient transit (like an LRT/high speed ferry) and get the cars off the road.
I think that you are probably off by a factor of 100 or so. The entire debt for the province is only about 14 billion.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
"Best for the country" is a bit cliché, but I think I understand your intent.

I value your comments on this forum, but I suspect you (just like party names) don't pay much attention to the issues; otherwise, you wouldn't be habitually voting Conservative.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that you are probably off by a factor of 100 or so. The entire debt for the province is only about 14 billion.
I figured my memory was a bit off; but it seems to me it was still pricey?!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is great to see others who are so interested in development.

Do you have, or are you considering a job in a related field such as architect, engineer, planner, developer ...?
I did civil engineering, that's when my interest in local construction really took off. As much as I enjoy following development I am glad to keep work at least an arms length away from it so that I can still observe it as a hobby.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I did civil engineering, that's when my interest in local construction really took off. As much as I enjoy following development I am glad to keep work at least an arms length away from it so that I can still observe it as a hobby.
That is a good field to be in

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 1:17 PM

Quote:
IN DEPTH | Halifax's major construction has almost tripled in value over a decade
Halifax Regional Municipality revamps planning department to deal with the new normal

By Rachel Ward, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2016 6:00 AM AT

Anyone who has walked through downtown Halifax in recent years has heard the drilling and hammering of construction crews, and watched as giant cranes help build storey after storey.

Now a CBC News analysis of a decade worth of development permits confirms the Halifax core is in the midst of a building boom.

On the peninsula alone, the estimated value of those hotel, condominium and office tower projects, adjusted for inflation, almost tripled between 2006 and 2015.

And if the last three and a half months are any indication, 2016 is on the way to surpassing last year.
Read more here (Interactive maps):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...outh-1.3522825

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 10:34 PM

The interactive map they created was really interesting. I passed it along to our folks out here and we are now going to try to create one for Calgary. I'm sure it will be quite impressive.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General