HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
They don't float, they are on very significant pilings (that replace the old wooden bumper piles).

RPM is a text book case of F you, I want mine. The new plan cuts the pathway, heavily used path, along the north bank of the river. It is going to kill the foot traffic that helped make 320 bar (next door) a hit.

They cold have done like the restaurant at Marina City, which co-exists nicely with the river path, but instead ripped out the stairs and put up a railing to block pedestrian traffic.
If this is the case, I'm surprised the City didn't step in and ask them to revise the plan to better fit with the general trend to amplify pedestrian access along the river.

... could the City have done anything? Or is this a matter of "private land and private enterprise can do whatever it wants?"

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 11:38 PM

^There is an existing pedestrian easement that passed along the south side of the 321 lobby. The city required that this be maintained, but now it wraps south around the addition for RPM. The path is now a bit more circuitous and it it going to pass right through the middle of RPM's outdoor dining area. It's also been narrowed significantly, although the width of the choke point passing between 321 and the hotel next door has been maintained as the narrowest point. The stairs are still there, but now they face north away from the direction of the pedestrian flow, rather than angling people toward it.

In theory and legally, the public pedestrian path still exists, but it is yet to be seen if people will sill use it with the extra twists and turns and the affect of walking right through the fine dining crowd.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
^There is an existing pedestrian easement that passed along the south side of the 321 lobby. The city required that this be maintained, but now it wraps south around the addition for RPM. The path is now a bit more circuitous and it it going to pass right through the middle of RPM's outdoor dining area. It's also been narrowed significantly, although the width of the choke point passing between 321 and the hotel next door has been maintained as the narrowest point. The stairs are still there, but now they face north away from the direction of the pedestrian flow, rather than angling people toward it.

In theory and legally, the public pedestrian path still exists, but it is yet to be seen if people will sill use it with the extra twists and turns and the affect of walking right through the fine dining crowd.
I will enjoy walking through the fine dining crowd on any excursion on the north bank.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 9:58 AM

Tribune Rehab

May 8/10

Locals watching the show.

Out with the old - elevator motors.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 11:08 PM

Building permit was issued for what I think is another building in that whole Wicker Park connection thing near Milwaukee, Division, and Ashland. I think this building will be going in the parking lot that's right behind Milwaukee Ave. In total 7 floors with 43 units and 40 parking spaces.

Also, there's a $18.5M buildout (permit) for a single office tenant at 540 W Madison St for the 4th and 15th through 17th floors. Anybody have any idea who is taking all that up? My gut tells me it's B of A expanding as they were planned to do, but..?

And one more - looks like Drake will be opening his OVO clothing store at No. 9 Walton sometime.

Last edited by marothisu; May 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
I will enjoy walking through the fine dining crowd on any excursion on the north bank.
I will also go on US Navy style freedom of navigation excursions

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post

A bit ....

Note there does not appear to be the easy access from the bridge to the River Walk - used to be a set of stairs on the SW corner, now you will need to walk up the ADA ramp for 1/2 block, then double back.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:27 PM

Aldermen hear from Chicago Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot's team on extent of their powers

"Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot’s transition team told aldermen Tuesday that she plans to issue an order upon taking office next week attempting to curtail their control over issuing permits and licenses in their wards, as she tries to deliver on a difficult campaign promise to rein in so-called aldermanic privilege."

It's a start.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:55 PM

"Lightfoot apparently won’t try to do away with the controversial tradition of City Council members having enormous power on local zoning questions, according to aldermen who were briefed on her plan at Lightfoot’s River North transition office."

I'm disappointed.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
"Lightfoot apparently won’t try to do away with the controversial tradition of City Council members having enormous power on local zoning questions, according to aldermen who were briefed on her plan at Lightfoot’s River North transition office."

I'm disappointed.
I'm not sure she can anyway. It's the City Council members simply making deals. She can't stop that.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:

I'm disappointed.
Patience is the key. We know that a majority of the current aldermen are openly corrupt, and they're not going to just give up on their livelihood without a fight. The ball is in the FBI's court for now.

If the support still isn't there after an FBI corruption purge, then a vote, even if it's a losing one, needs to take place in the run-up to the next election to get it officially on record to label those aldermen as corruption shills.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:

I'm disappointed.
I believe her plan is to create more as of right processes to achieve this. As others have mentioned, as long as city council is voting on something, there is not solid way to stop them from just continuing to respect perogative. There isn't a city council vote on things like licenses. Those are handled by city beauracrats who are under the executive. She literally CAN, in this instance, just order them to stop respecting perogative. Rahm did the same thing with the sanitation and street sweeping.

For zoning the law still requires a city council vote on changes and would need a new ordinance.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:23 PM

Ah, got it - thanks for the background.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:27 PM

It is outrageous that we will no longer be required to stroke our local alderman for things that should be simple administrative matters for the city.

The nerve.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:32 PM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
Anyone know whats going on with the building being demolished at Fremont & Blackhawk? (By SoNo) That building wasn't part of the prior factory that was on the site I thought? Thanks in advance for anyone that can clear up the confusion for me.
Anyone have an update on this? They are almost done demoing on the site.

Isn't this the new city style project or is it different?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

I'm disappointed.
Lightfoot's platform during the campaign referred to a proposed ordinance that would have the ZBA rather than City Council make decisions on any zoning change including 10% or more affordable housing on site. Most of the market-rate proposals by developers would continue to be handled in the old way, but the faster approval times and greater likelihood of approval might give developers an incentive to provide more affordable housing on-site.

I don't think Lightfoot ever wanted to abolish aldermanic prerogative completely, for any and all zoning changes - just to root out corruption from the day-to-day routine matters that individuals and businesses handle with the city, and to prevent blatantly racist NIMBYism like the Jeff Park veterans housing debacle.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
They don't float, they are on very significant pilings (that replace the old wooden bumper piles).

RPM is a text book case of F you, I want mine. The new plan cuts the pathway, heavily used path, along the north bank of the river. It is going to kill the foot traffic that helped make 320 bar (next door) a hit.

They cold have done like the restaurant at Marina City, which co-exists nicely with the river path, but instead ripped out the stairs and put up a railing to block pedestrian traffic.
Correction - checked again and there is a set of stairs on the SW corner by the bridge - narrow stairs and a doorway sized gap in the glass railing . In the past that would have been a problem.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:36 AM

OMA wins that design competition for the new building at UIC:

https://archpaper.com/2019/05/univer...lery-0-slide-0

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
OMA wins that design competition for the new building at UIC:

https://archpaper.com/2019/05/univer...lery-0-slide-0
This one's interior was the most interesting to me, but I hope its exterior isn't so... idk how to put it, "airy"(?) if that makes sense. Still, will be a fine addition in the long run

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:47 AM

"Uber in talks for massive office in Chicago's Old Post Office redevelopment"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...515-story.html

Sorry. Moved :-)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development