HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 3:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

BC 3-way

Spent some time this summer in and around Vancouver and on Vancouver Island (along with the minor outlying island of Cortes). Most of it was spent visiting with family & friends, but I managed to get some shots in - here are the results, presented 3 ways:

Part 1 - Camera

Part 2 - Phone

Part 3 - Film

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 7:22 PM

Gorgeous set! (and interesting thread title)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:50 PM

Great pics. The soft-filtered (?) look of your camera shots is evocative of the dreamy photos of the Pacific Northwest made in the late 1970s, which was an era that many old Vancouverites remember fondly, because it was the last time Vancouver was kind of a beautiful, well-kept secret rather than a city chasing global aspirations on all that.

How did you like Vancouver?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nicely done.

boy oh boy seattle and vancouver really do have some kind of scenic settings, don't they? its quite something amazing. lucky them. i could never live there, but i most certainly do enjoy the visits.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:38 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Great pics. The soft-filtered (?) look of your camera shots is evocative of the dreamy photos of the Pacific Northwest made in the late 1970s, which was an era that many old Vancouverites remember fondly, because it was the last time Vancouver was kind of a beautiful, well-kept secret rather than a city chasing global aspirations on all that.

How did you like Vancouver?

Thanks. No filters used; might be in part a result of my editing style, but it's also probably due in part to the general softness of the light out there.

I like Vancouver though. Not the first time I've been, but it was the first time I've been given a proper "locals" tour, which was definitely more fun. Also a nice break from Toronto, which was still pretty locked down at the time, comparatively.

But otherwise it's a vibrant, busy city with lots of good things to eat and an absolutely amazing setting - what's not to like? The quality of new development is probably a tier above Toronto's too, on average. And it's got more character than people usually give it credit for - that rough-around-the edges port town vibe is still very present in most of the areas I spent time in. The weird 90s industrial, vaguely Scandinavian aesthetic of Mt. Pleasant (my neighbourhood for the duration of the trip) is cool too.

Generally a fan of the north/east side of the city and the northern Metro Van suburbs (North & West Vancouver, even Burnaby & Port Moody kinda). I can see the appeal of living in one of those areas. On the other hand, not a big fan of basically anything south of Broadway - it gets really suburban really quickly, without the dramatic setting to make up for it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:49 PM
sick transit, gloria

Great stuff, as always! Your Van pics definitely show more character than it sometimes get credit for.

Some close friends of mine have actually been in Victoria and now Tofino over the past week and their pics plus this thread (and the recent ColdRSX one) are making me want to take a Canadian vacation.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:28 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
On the other hand, not a big fan of basically anything south of Broadway - it gets really suburban really quickly, without the dramatic setting to make up for it.
Cool thread. Love the different perspectives each camera gave of the city.

And yeah, South Van is not great for someone who just wants to walk around, and explore an urban neighbourhood. It can get shockingly suburban very quickly.

Good news though. As with most of the city, development has jumped from downtown to areas long absent from this kind of transformation. Cambie St. is going through a big construction boom from 1st St. all the way to 71st, so that's a start, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:16 AM
DownTowner

Love it! I have to make it to BC.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:32 AM

With Covid, spending more time close to nature and away from people, I am getting tired of parks and natural scenes, but somehow I really enjoyed the depiction of nature and the landscape in your photos. Even the picture of the stump of the tree trunk has some serene feeling. Serene makes all of part 1, contrast with urban/futuristic feel of part 2, contrast with rustic/retro feel of 3, all enjoyable. Vancouver is definitely a place I need to visit one day. Any views of the skylines at night with the mountains looming behind are incredible. But I also like the look of the low rise and mid-rise buildings and corridors at street level. It is a very interesting city for sure.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:22 PM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 12:08 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Cool thread. Love the different perspectives each camera gave of the city.

And yeah, South Van is not great for someone who just wants to walk around, and explore an urban neighbourhood. It can get shockingly suburban very quickly.

Good news though. As with most of the city, development has jumped from downtown to areas long absent from this kind of transformation. Cambie St. is going through a big construction boom from 1st St. all the way to 71st, so that's a start, I guess.

Had some good dim sum down on Victoria though! I do at least appreciate those local retail strips and new mid/high-rise centres scattered throughout.

Thanks for all the comments.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The quality of new development is probably a tier above Toronto's too, on average. And it's got more character than people usually give it credit for - that rough-around-the edges port town vibe is still very present in most of the areas I spent time in. The weird 90s industrial, vaguely Scandinavian aesthetic of Mt. Pleasant (my neighbourhood for the duration of the trip) is cool too.
I would agree with all of this, and those are pretty astute observations.

I know several Vancouver planners pretty well, and I get the impression that their planning department is very design-forward, and has been since before planners even thought about design in North America (i.e. the 1970s). Most of the old bigwigs are urban designers, by training, and the development-planning relationship is kind of incestuous (as in, ex-planners work for big developers, and vice versa not [necessarily] that they're sleeping with each other). If planners want to enshrine some kind of social policy, they often do it using design as a bit of an instrument, whether for good or for bad.

I always thought Vancouver's industrial areas were a bit more versatile for small startups than Toronto's, since they was a lot of areas where you had buildings with medium-sized floorplates and access for trucks in the alleyway, but it still had a street-facing sidewalk presence and the areas were part of the same grid as the residential areas. Toronto doesn't really have that except in a few places, like Geary Ave. which, predictably, generate new businesses and vibrancy quite spontaneously. Otherwise, you're stuck shoving the industrial-side of your operations in some windowless bunker near Lawrence and Keele or in South Etobicoke where the buses hardly run and the walking experience is terrible.

Quote:
Generally a fan of the north/east side of the city and the northern Metro Van suburbs (North & West Vancouver, even Burnaby & Port Moody kinda). I can see the appeal of living in one of those areas. On the other hand, not a big fan of basically anything south of Broadway - it gets really suburban really quickly, without the dramatic setting to make up for it.
Yeah, it can get suburban very quickly, but I find that given the era of construction, areas that are functionally suburban are a lot older in Toronto than in Vancouver. Again, things like having a grid with alleys really helps. It avoids having all these driveways, and you can also stash the commercial parking in the rear or, if the area urbanizes, underground with alley access.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 9:48 PM

Nice!

I must hurt to go back to TO after all that scenic beauty.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:57 PM

Your landscape/nature stuff is so good. Also love the shot of the old man looking in the window.

Regarding the film photos, is that a disposable? No offense if it's not, just judging by the lens. I've recently been trying film and will set up a mini lab where I'll develop and scan to digital. Bought a refurbished Olympus OM-1 at a great price and bought some colour film... just have to find the time, yikes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Regarding the film photos, is that a disposable? No offense if it's not, just judging by the lens. I've recently been trying film and will set up a mini lab where I'll develop and scan to digital. Bought a refurbished Olympus OM-1 at a great price and bought some colour film... just have to find the time, yikes.

No offence taken - it is a disposable.

I do also have a Chaika-3 though - a 1970s Russian-made half frame 35mm camera. But it's heavy and hard to use, so I didn't bring it. Would like to invest in a proper film SLR one of these days too though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaika_(camera)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:39 AM
Paradise Island

There is some really well executed photography in this thread, and BC is beautiful.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:11 PM
BANNED

WOW!

Not only is that area f..ing GORGEOUS, but your photos are INCREDIBLE!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:27 AM

very good set. I'm warming up to Vancouver again and am overdue for a visit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos