HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:42 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
I agree that this building isnt exactly the best look for midtowns tallest building, but I wouldn't call it ugly. Uninspired? Yes. A bit blocky? Yeah. But it isnt eve close to some of the worst Manhattan is seeing right now, and if built (in its current state) it would, at its worst, bolster the skyline with a big rectangle. The cantilevered bit that looks 'like its been hit with a machete' is not really that hard to look at and breaks up an otherwise boring facade. Is it close to perfect? No, but alot of people seem to really hate this and it just seems unwarrented to me.
Well said, in fact this building is starting to 'kinda' grow on me a little. The very same things I'm sure were also said about the original WTC Towers when they were proposed. Something tells me the final outcome of this thing will be better than what we are seeing now. Many were also even a little skeptical of One Vanderbilt and 432 Park when they were proposed, but they sure seemed to turn out as welcomed additions that feel like have always been around and have their place.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Well said, in fact this building is starting to 'kinda' grow on me a little...Many were also even a little skeptical of One Vanderbilt and 432 Park when they were proposed, but they sure seemed to turn out as welcomed additions
I think we should consider not just Tower Fifth, but also the fact that we already have 432 Park which looks rather similar. If 432 Park didn't already exist, some of us would probably find Tower Fifth a more acceptable addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:27 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They'll love it when it's built, believe me.

I agree to a certain extent, think of how ugly people thought Sears Tower or the original WTC twins were before they were built.

The facade has potential here, all it needs it some tweaks at the top, hopefully what we've seen isn't the final design. The scale of this thing is epic, it'll be about the height of CPT but not at all skinny.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:34 PM
Metal Up Your !

I hate the argument, "don't worry if you don't like it, it'll grow on you. It'll be like it was always there."

Yeah not shit! Anything starts to become normal after a while. You're excusing garbage with the dumbest argument anyone could conceive. A woman getting beat will get used to beatings after a while. A hoarder will get used to living in mountains of filth after a while. A person will get used to the stench of cow manure if they live near a beef producer.

Anyone mind clarifying why that argument makes ANY sense to you?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:47 PM

Comparing this to Vanderbelt and 432 is the funniest thing I've heard today.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:49 PM

I think this design is hot garbage.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:15 PM

This thing will never grown on me. Sure as stated above there are worse projects in the city, but when you copy and paste 432 Park to make taller tower with boxes lazily stacked on top is a horrendous design. Never have I thought I'd hate a building so much, but if this is built it'll greatly affect my thoughts on the skyline in a bad way. Redesign it Mack!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:16 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I hate the argument, "don't worry if you don't like it, it'll grow on you. It'll be like it was always there."

Yeah not shit! Anything starts to become normal after a while. You're excusing garbage with the dumbest argument anyone could conceive. A woman getting beat will get used to beatings after a while. A hoarder will get used to living in mountains of filth after a while. A person will get used to the stench of cow manure if they live near a beef producer.

Anyone mind clarifying why that argument makes ANY sense to you?
It doesn't, it's a total deflection and excuse for inexcusable laziness in design. This proposal is horrendous and should be burned in effigy in front of the developer's residence nightly until abandoned.

Everytime I see this thread bumped, I open it with the hope of seeing something entirely different. I'm still in shock 432 got built, it's still an eyesore every time I see it, but at least it's slim - this thing just turns that up to 11.

Where's Amanda Burden when you actually need her?!? (Sarcasm)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I think this design is hot garbage.

But in all seriousness I agree the first few renderings haven't been too impressive, but I still think it has some potential. We just need a closer look, especially at the facade (which I think will make it or break it).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
This thing will never grown on me. Sure as stated above there are worse projects in the city, but when you copy and paste 432 Park to make taller tower with boxes lazily stacked on top is a horrendous design. Never have I thought I'd hate a building so much, but if this is built it'll greatly affect my thoughts on the skyline in a bad way. Redesign it Mack!!
Only one I loathe more is 15 Penn. God, what hideousness and the blue capping is the ultimate atrocity of an excuse for a "crown". This one is really awful, though. Sure, both will have great height but that's the problem... you can't hide it's effect on the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post

See what I did there?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I agree to a certain extent, think of how ugly people thought Sears Tower or the original WTC twins were before they were built.

The facade has potential here, all it needs it some tweaks at the top, hopefully what we've seen isn't the final design. The scale of this thing is epic, it'll be about the height of CPT but not at all skinny.

People didn't love the original Twin Towers of the WTC because they were great designs. They were hardly that. There was a public relationship with the buildings, as there will be here. Furthermore, we have not seen design details of this tower, especially on the 52nd Street side where most of the tower will be based. It will be a modern Citicorp, without the slanted roof. The transition at the top needs more work, as I'm sure it will get. It's a flat topped tower, the kind I don't like to dominate the skyline, but so many people on this forum seem to prefer. But I don't look at it as the ultimate crowning skyscraper, much as I didn't see 432 Park as that either, so its acceptable.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:54 PM

I love this tower, and predict it will be exactly like 432 Park. Everyone will be complaining until its built, and then curiously quiet (implicitly acknowledging that Viñoly is indeed a great architect).

I actually think this is the most exciting tower, right now, in Manhattan. New Midtown tallest, highest observation deck, great materials (Viñoly is always about subtle materials that don't really reveal themselves until you have the finished product) and perfect location in the dead-center core of the skyline.

Also, can someone explain why they think 1 Vanderbilt is a better design? I find that bizarre. 1 Vandy, while OK, is garbage compared to Tower Fifth. Viñoly actually builds contemporary towers, not derivative crap. 1 Vandy will be a background building, except for the spectacular nighttime lighting. Will be overshadowed by Chase and Grand Hyatt towers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 7:20 PM

I don't mind Vinoly but come on NEMA Chicago is just a resi re-do of the Willis Tower with white paint. Tower Fifth? Well, the CN Tower did supertall and observation decks better, back in 1975.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:21 PM

Tower fifth is Gensler, not Vinoly.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I love this tower, and predict it will be exactly like 432 Park. Everyone will be complaining until its built, and then curiously quiet (implicitly acknowledging that Viñoly is indeed a great architect).

I actually think this is the most exciting tower, right now, in Manhattan. New Midtown tallest, highest observation deck, great materials (Viñoly is always about subtle materials that don't really reveal themselves until you have the finished product) and perfect location in the dead-center core of the skyline.

Also, can someone explain why they think 1 Vanderbilt is a better design? I find that bizarre. 1 Vandy, while OK, is garbage compared to Tower Fifth. Viñoly actually builds contemporary towers, not derivative crap. 1 Vandy will be a background building, except for the spectacular nighttime lighting. Will be overshadowed by Chase and Grand Hyatt towers.
One Vanderbilt is one of the best new towers in the city because it is designed with the context of the city in mind - namely neo art deco and futurist elements.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
People didn't love the original Twin Towers of the WTC because they were great designs. They were hardly that. There was a public relationship with the buildings, as there will be here. Furthermore, we have not seen design details of this tower, especially on the 52nd Street side where most of the tower will be based. It will be a modern Citicorp, without the slanted roof. The transition at the top needs more work, as I'm sure it will get. It's a flat topped tower, the kind I don't like to dominate the skyline, but so many people on this forum seem to prefer. But I don't look at it as the ultimate crowning skyscraper, much as I didn't see 432 Park as that either, so its acceptable.
Well a lot of people didn't love the Twin Towers period-until they were destroyed that is. I did not like them, especially after visiting them in person. Citicorp was and is great, but Tower Fifth and that 15 Penn are awful.

Tower Fifth would be all right if it did not have the jenga at the top, or if the jenga was symmetrical and then there was a taper above that. It would just blend into the rest as 432 Park has now that the other supertalls have come up. JMHO of course. And Amanda Burden will forever remain unforgiven for chopping 150 feet off of Tower Verre. It should be taller with everything coming up now!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:43 AM

hope Macklowe is donating a lot to St. Patty's . .
'cause that cathedral's Gothic shapes,
as seen through the glass of Tower Fifth's lobby,
are the only visual interest this building has to offer . .
It's much better to be looking out from inside this building,
than to be nearby Tower Fifth, and having to look at it's
cheap lack of anything consequential . .

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:42 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Tower...baaaad!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Here is the real deal folks, hot off the yimby press:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/10/fir...town-east.html
The first pic would look soooo much better with a redesigned tower fifth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals