HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:22 AM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 5:07 PM

taiwan-city forum

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:57 AM

西區門戶計畫交八廣場 by William Chung, 於 Flickr

No.8 Plaza will look like in the future. Demolish will start in August.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Jun 28, 2018 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
西區門戶計畫交八廣場 by William Chung, 於 Flickr

No.8 Plaza will look like in the future. Demolish will start in August.
Thanks for posting updates.

The North Gate park still doesn't look that inviting... maybe because the trees have not matured yet so there is no shade.

The #8 park across the street is more promising and should really improve the pedestrian connection to Taipei Main Station.

Is the Airport MRT station a temporary structure? I assume the above ground portion is just waiting for the high rise construction to start?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Thanks for posting updates.

The North Gate park still doesn't look that inviting... maybe because the trees have not matured yet so there is no shade.

The #8 park across the street is more promising and should really improve the pedestrian connection to Taipei Main Station.

Is the Airport MRT station a temporary structure? I assume the above ground portion is just waiting for the high rise construction to start?
Video Link

It is permanent structure waiting for Taipei Twin Towers rising.

Video Link

Current look for No.8 Plaza

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:09 PM

taiwan-city forum

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
It is permanent structure waiting for Taipei Twin Towers rising.
So when they built the station they already pour the foundation for the Twin Towers? I thought the Twin Towers project is still being bid out again... (are we up to the 7th or 8th round now?)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=156075

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 4:38 AM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:21 AM

They've done an impressive job cleaning up the area and making it look really nice, but man, are they ever going to do anything about that ghastly old/gray/dirty building behind the West Gate? I feel like it totally ruins the aesthetic of the area

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East District View Post
They've done an impressive job cleaning up the area and making it look really nice, but man, are they ever going to do anything about that ghastly old/gray/dirty building behind the West Gate? I feel like it totally ruins the aesthetic of the area
That is North Gate regard to history.
We call whole district as 西區門戶計畫(Taipei West Gate or Taipei West Gateway) because this district is located at Western Taipei City.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Jul 10, 2018 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
That is North Gate regard to history.
We call whole district as 西區門戶計畫(Taipei West Gate or Taipei West Gateway) because this district is located at Eastern Taipei City.
*Western* Taipei 西區

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Taipei is filled with thousands of these ghastly looking things. It seems the building code in Taiwan doesn't have any provision for holding the HOA or co-op board responsible for maintenance. So the City cannot really do anything about it. Overtime, residential and commercial buildings that have sub-divided ownership structural eventually become like this due to lack of exterior upkeep and maintenance.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

That is really unfortunate, every time I visit Taiwan, I always wonder why they haven't taken care of the outer aesthetics of their buildings especially because it rains so often. I know there was talk about urban renewal in these forums a while back, is there any way this system will change in the future?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Another big problem that totally ruins the aesthetic of the area is the most homeless people in Taiwan gathering in this area.
That is the real thing you may experience when walking around Taipei Main Station (Taipei Main Homeless Station?) especially at night.
You won't see this from beautified photo or video.

Taipei West Homeless Gate? or Taipei West Homeless Gateway?

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
That is really unfortunate, every time I visit Taiwan, I always wonder why they haven't taken care of the outer aesthetics of their buildings especially because it rains so often. I know there was talk about urban renewal in these forums a while back, is there any way this system will change in the future?
Taipei 30 years ago vs now is night Vs day. It use to be 100% run down concrete. Now its about 50%. In another 20 years, it will be 25%.

I am in my mid 30s now, but I remember a time when DAAN was just developing, and was pretty much the only nice looking place in Taiwan. Now we have Banqiao, Neihu, Sonshan, Xinyi. Nangang, and Zhongshan all really clean and nice.

Seeing as how development is now shifting to western Taipei, I have no doubt the rest of the city will be taken care of. Development follows the MRT

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
If by "system" you mean the lack of enforcement mechanism to force property owners to maintain the exterior of building, then the answer is probably no. There is not a huge political will to change how property are owned and managed in Taiwan. Once the developer sub-divides the ownership of the building into individual units, it is not their problem anymore. In the US, State laws generally holds that HOA or Co-op boards are the established legal entities that have to maintain a common interest buildings. In Taiwan, the laws are different and HOA are not as legally empowered. They are really just voluntary associations of apartment owners with very limited legal rights and responsibilities. For example, HOAs in Taiwan can't even stop apartment owners from putting up cages or a sign on their balcony to advertise their business.

So overtime, some apartment owners stop paying their HOA dues, and the HOA runs out of reserves to pay for preventive maintenance. This is why all the residential or mixed use building in Taiwan eventually look like crap.

The exception is building with undivided ownership. For example, high end office buildings or hotels where the owner has clear economic motivation to keep the building looking nice (to get maximum rent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
Taipei 30 years ago vs now is night Vs day. It use to be 100% run down concrete. Now its about 50%. In another 20 years, it will be 25%.

I am in my mid 30s now, but I remember a time when DAAN was just developing, and was pretty much the only nice looking place in Taiwan. Now we have Banqiao, Neihu, Sonshan, Xinyi. Nangang, and Zhongshan all really clean and nice.

Seeing as how development is now shifting to western Taipei, I have no doubt the rest of the city will be taken care of. Development follows the MRT
Xinyi is different because most of the building there have undivided ownership. The other areas will eventually look not much different than the older parts of Taipei. I remember Tianmu looking sparkly clean in the 1980s when all the residential buildings were fairly new. But now it looks not much different than the rest of the Taipei. Those new buildings have aged and fallen into neglect once the HOA stop spending money for exterior upkeep.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:43 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
If by "system" you mean the lack of enforcement mechanism to force property owners to maintain the exterior of building, then the answer is probably no. There is not a huge political will to change how property are owned and managed in Taiwan. Once the developer sub-divides the ownership of the building into individual units, it is not their problem anymore. In the US, State laws generally holds that HOA or Co-op boards are the established legal entities that have to maintain a common interest buildings. In Taiwan, the laws are different and HOA are not as legally empowered. They are really just voluntary associations of apartment owners with very limited legal rights and responsibilities. For example, HOAs in Taiwan can't even stop apartment owners from putting up cages or a sign on their balcony to advertise their business.

So overtime, some apartment owners stop paying their HOA dues, and the HOA runs out of reserves to pay for preventive maintenance. This is why all the residential or mixed use building in Taiwan eventually look like crap.

The exception is building with undivided ownership. For example, high end office buildings or hotels where the owner has clear economic motivation to keep the building looking nice (to get maximum rent).

Xinyi is different because most of the building there have undivided ownership. The other areas will eventually look not much different than the older parts of Taipei. I remember Tianmu looking sparkly clean in the 1980s when all the residential buildings were fairly new. But now it looks not much different than the rest of the Taipei. Those new buildings have aged and fallen into neglect once the HOA stop spending money for exterior upkeep.
I completely agree, things here do not age gracefully. There have been projects built just within ten years that already look quite aged.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:53 AM

Help the homeless!

Source: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3295347

Taipei Railway Station provides place for homeless to store their belongings

New system starts operating Monday Nov.13

By Matthew Strong,Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2017/11/11 15:39

In an effort to help the homeless but also to keep up the outlook of its premises, the Taipei Railway Station has agreed to provide a space where the homeless can store their belongings.

The station recently announced that beginning from November 13, it would be forbidden to stack large heaps of luggage inside the building apart from a spot near trash cans, the Central News Agency reported Saturday.

However, social groups concerned with the homeless intervened with the Taipei City Government’s Department of Social Affairs, which mediated with the Taiwan Railways Administration to find a compromise solution.

Following the example of a park in the Wanhua District, the city department will provide bags where the homeless can deposit their belongings in. The bags will then be stored for safekeeping near the southern entrance to the station building, allowing the area occupied by the homeless to diminish while also maintaining the right looks of the area, reports said.

The agreement, which will go into effect on November 13, forms a compromise between the station’s need to provide a pleasant environment to passengers and a basic living space for the homeless, the CNA report said.

The Department of Social Affairs said it would continue to strive for a reduction in the amount of property left by the homeless, while it will also assist their efforts to find work, housing and health care.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 2:42 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:30 PM

taiwan-city forum

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan